Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift Vid (updated 2/4/09)

Deadlift Vid (updated 2/4/09)

Haven't done deads consistently in over a year. I pulled some lower back muscles doing deads in May of 07. Everytime I start them back up my back goes back into fits. I have worked hard the last few months on fixing my muscle imbalances (lower abs and hips). I would like to start doing deads again. I never really did conventional deads, but I am using them more as a back exercise, so wanted to do convo instead of sumo. Feels like forever ago that I pulled 500...please share any form issues. Sorry it takes about 30 seconds before the first pull..

225*8
    Video
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Actually it looks pretty darn good CP! Nice work. Only thing I noticed is you are up on your toes a lot, but I think that is more a result of the Saucony's. They have a pretty built up heel. Use some flat soled shoes if you have them, otherwise just deadlift in your socks

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Actually it looks pretty darn good CP! Nice work. Only thing I noticed is you are up on your toes a lot, but I think that is more a result of the Saucony's. They have a pretty built up heel. Use some flat soled shoes if you have them, otherwise just deadlift in your socks
    I agree on that point. I normally do them barefoot. Didn't today since the weight was pretty light. Thanks Travis.
    Last edited by cphafner; 11-03-2008 at 08:58 PM.
    My Journal

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Any thoughts about keeping the reps low for awhile? Instead of a set of 8, what about 8 singles or 4 doubles? My back always had the biggest issue with resetting between reps. I agree with Travis though. Those looked pretty smooth.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    Any thoughts about keeping the reps low for awhile? Instead of a set of 8, what about 8 singles or 4 doubles? My back always had the biggest issue with resetting between reps. I agree with Travis though. Those looked pretty smooth.
    Chubs - I'm going to give DC training a shot. He calls for higher reps. I know Will had the same thoughts as you. Keep it on the lower rep range.
    My Journal

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    I agree with Travis about the shoes. Switch to flat sole or go barefoot. Other than that they looked solid!
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Looked fine to me, but im no pro. I have been squating and deadlifting for about 4-5 months now without shoes ( socks only ) and I prefer it over wearing shoes. Good luck on the DC training.
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rodgers View Post
    I agree with Travis about the shoes. Switch to flat sole or go barefoot. Other than that they looked solid!
    Thanks Chris. I'll post up some more when I start pushing the weight a bit. I'll make sure the shoes come off.
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by View 1 View Post
    Looked fine to me, but im no pro. I have been squating and deadlifting for about 4-5 months now without shoes ( socks only ) and I prefer it over wearing shoes. Good luck on the DC training.
    Thanks. For deads it's normally chucks or barefoot. I was just rushing a bit yesterday.
    Last edited by cphafner; 11-04-2008 at 07:48 PM.
    My Journal

Here is an updated vid. 295*8. I know the straps will draw the ire of the pl'ers. Any comments on form? I was expecting 4-6, but it was lighter than expected. Will move back up to 3 wheels next time.

Video
    My Journal

I guessing the form was good, looked good to me anyway. You made it look easy and seem to be really working on your form. My back just happens to be killing me today though.
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

Looks pretty good to me.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

One thing I noticed from the first video to this one is how you are lowering the weight down. The first video its more one motion, the new video you lower the weight down with your upper body once the barebell gets about knee height you start dropping your legs more then. Again im no expert, but over all your form is very good, this could also be just to the fact that your deadlifting alot more weight then the first video.
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

You have some good bodybuilder deadlift form. Very slow and controlled, engaging all the right muscles. I think this is exactly what you are going for, so I say bump the weight and do exactly what you've been doing.

When it's time to SFW, then I can give you my tips.

PS- I have a big problem with the guy doing the overhead squats. WTF is that garbage? How do you do OH squats with an empty bar and cut them 4" above parallel? Weird.
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Bill: Thanks man. Trying to keep the form tight so I don't reinjure my lower back.

Joey: Thanks dude.

View 1: Yeah I wasn't as tight on the way down. Good catch. I would probably benefit from just dropping the weight and not wasting energy on the way down.

CR: Thanks Chris. I am slowing adding more weight to the bar. I'll throw up some more vids in the future as it gets heavier to make sure I'm not getting sloppy. I had my tunnel vision on. I didn't even notice that guy during my set.
    My Journal

Very nice CP! I agree with CR, your form is spot on for what you're trying to do. One of the hard parts about those hexagonal plates is that you can't pull the bar closer to you right before you start, so just make sure you have the bar close to your shins, but in the video it looked great to me.

Sometimes it seems to me that when guys are doing reps, their hips slowly get higher and higher at the beginning of each rep, but yours look like they are positioned pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rodgers View Post
    PS- I have a big problem with the guy doing the overhead squats. WTF is that garbage? How do you do OH squats with an empty bar and cut them 4" above parallel? Weird.
    Chris! Haven't you heard, its a new fed! Johnny Soreback got sick and tired of the politics involved in all of these federations making people put the bar on their back so he started the OSF (Overhead Squat Federation) The OSF doesn't feel that it makes much of a difference if you go deep or not and would prefer to give the benefit of the doubt to the lifter. Other events in the OSF would include the Bosa Ball Deadlift, Behind the back wrist curl, and the calf raise.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Chris! Haven't you heard, its a new fed! Johnny Soreback got sick and tired of the politics involved in all of these federations making people put the bar on their back so he started the OSF (Overhead Squat Federation) The OSF doesn't feel that it makes much of a difference if you go deep or not and would prefer to give the benefit of the doubt to the lifter. Other events in the OSF would include the Bosa Ball Deadlift, Behind the back wrist curl, and the calf raise.
    LOL! imagine what the numbers on the calf raise would be.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Both of those sets looked good to me. Is that baby powder or chalk you are putting on your shins in the first video?
    (SQ) 550 (BP) 425 (DL) 550
    5'9" 195lbs.

2014 Goals: 365 raw bench; Triple bodyweight deadlift; 1500 meet total @ 198

YouTube -- http://www.youtube.com/user/CarlDonatiJr?feature=mhee
    Journal -- http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-Get-Stronger!

Quote Originally Posted by Buccos1 View Post
    Both of those sets looked good to me. Is that baby powder or chalk you are putting on your shins in the first video?
    Thanks. It was chalk. Not sure why I put it on there.
    My Journal

Updated with today's work set. 315*8. I am slowly adding weight to the bar. Hope to get back up to work sets with 405+ on the bar in the medium term. This weight felt light, but I am wary of pushing too high too fast.

Video
    My Journal

Nice work, they look good!
    5'8" 177 (meet PRs) ALL RAW

Bench - 290 (291) Pause reps Dead - 500 (479.5) Squat - 446 (430)

Total - 1236 (1168.4)

Goals: Bench - 280 met 1/19/09 new goal - 300 Squat - 435 met 11/28/09 new goal 475 Dead - 500 met 1/23/10 new goal 525

The Quest

Deads look really good. You're definitely looking bigger too.

Painzer: thanks man.

Jorge: Thanks. I put on about 10-15 lbs in the 4th quarter of 08. I hope to see similar results over the next 3 months.
    My Journal

Looks good CP. You definitely have plenty of strength left. Does this program have you pulling once every week?
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL