The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

massage before maxing?

is it wise to get a massage just a day or 2 before you're attempting maxes?

gonna go for new prs next week and i wouldn't be able to go for a massage till sat/sun

shoulders and upperback been getting pretty tight and i want to get them worked on a bit to help with my flexibility for my olympic lifts

thanks

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

you could try it. whats the worst thing that could go wrong? no new PR? its just training.

just be careful if you get helga with the big ass hands, and you get some kind of deep tissue massage, you can be sore for days from those.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

As with any new restorative measure (or exercise), I'd give your body time to get used to it.

You'll probably feel better but I wouldn't expect mind-blowing numbers. Personally, I usually perform much worse in the gym for a while after a good (professional) massage - if I was getting massages all the time, things might be different however.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    As with any new restorative measure (or exercise), I'd give your body time to get used to it.

You'll probably feel better but I wouldn't expect mind-blowing numbers. Personally, I usually perform much worse in the gym for a while after a good (professional) massage - if I was getting massages all the time, things might be different however.
    I'm the same. I usually don't expect to do anything heavy for at least 72 hours after a good deep tissue massage.

should be ok.

if you get them on a regular basis, I think 2 days would be fine for a training day. I've had one done on a Sunday afternoon and squatted Monday night with no problems. It all depends on how often you get them. If it is your first one and your really knotted up, you will be sore for 2-3 days.

Personally, if I had a meet coming up, I would leave about 5 days in between the massage and the meet.

Good luck, Ryan

Wannabebig Member WhateverItTakes's Avatar
    If you are not use to getting deep dissue massages then I would take it easy with lifting pretty soon after a massage. Deep tissue massages release a great deal of pent up toxins within the body, so make sure you drink plenty of water after and see how you feel. That's just my .02

thanks for the advice

ya i have only gotten a massage once and that was 2 years ago on my lower back.. i had been thinking about doing it for a few weeks now and i just coincidentally decided on it the week im gonna break some prs..

so i think i'll hold off another week then..

thanks

Wannabebig Member
    I always get a deep tissue massage on the Wednesday just before a Saturday meet. I'll feel pretty beat up on Thursday, but by Saturday I feel GREAT. I agree that the key is to drink a ton of water after the massage to flush out the accumulated toxins.