The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Single-ply Squat/Deadlift Suit Help

Hey guys, I need a little help from some guys with experience with single-ply gear. I wanna compete in a meet coming up January 17 (USAPL Louisiana State Powerlifting Championships) which follows IPF rules. This means all single-ply gear. I'm going to use my F6 bench shirt, but I don't have a squat/deadlift suit, just my ace-pro briefs. I squat and sumo deadlift with the same wide-stance. Some help and advise would be nice. The only ideas I have are the V-Type Metal IPF line and they have so many I have no idea what to get. Thanks guys.
    Weight: 160 (148lb class)
    Height: 5'6
    Powerlifting Journal

AWPC Worlds Teen Champ @ 148
    Squat 562 Beanch 319 Deadlift 507 Elite Total 1388

Gym records (Single-ply lifter)
    Squat 600 Bench 354 Deadlift 560

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

if you are used to squatting and deadlifting in Ace briefs, single ply should be nothing.

my first suit was a regular v-type squatter, but if i were you i'd give the King v-type squatter a try. this should work for squatting AND deadlifting.

i have experience with the king material, and the single ply v-type. i use a pro king sumo deadlifter, and it is stiff as hell. you should have good results with the king v-type squatter.

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...d=203&pid=2667

deeder might be of more help to you here, as he lifts in the IPF. i think he uses the viking suit though.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    if you are used to squatting and deadlifting in Ace briefs, single ply should be nothing.

my first suit was a regular v-type squatter, but if i were you i'd give the King v-type squatter a try. this should work for squatting AND deadlifting.

i have experience with the king material, and the single ply v-type.0_1720.jpg (54.5 KB, 20 views)
    File Type: jpg 100_1721.jpg (71.7 KB, 16 views)
    File Type: jpg 100_1723.jpg (57.5 KB, 12 views) i use a pro king sumo deadlifter, and it is stiff as hell. you should have good results with the king v-type squatter.

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...d=203&pid=2667

deeder might be of more help to you here, as he lifts in the IPF. i think he uses the viking suit though.
    I've been using the king material for a while now.

The king v-type squatter will be great for squatting wide and pulling sumo. Ideally I'd go with a king v-type squatter and a king sumo deadlifter (it's a different cut in the legs/hips than the v-type) but if you're on a budget you should still be able to get some good weight out of a v-type for deadlifting.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

thanks guys. this is really useful! i think i'll go with with the king v-type squatter. But lonesXedge, what did you mean by

do you mean single ply will be nothing compared to the briefs (i.e. they will give a lot less support/help)?
    Powerlifting Journal

Quote Originally Posted by littleman19 View Post
    thanks guys. this is really useful! i think i'll go with with the king v-type squatter. But lonesXedge, what did you mean by

do you mean single ply will be nothing compared to the briefs (i.e. they will give a lot less support/help)?
    Because the briefs you have are a very extreme double-ply. You will get a lot less pop out of a single ply suit. Not only the fact that it is less material but the seems and cuts are different and limited in the IPF line of equipment.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Do you have the resources to purchase a DL suit and a Squat suit, or are you going to utilize one suit for both lifts?

Semper Fi

that is not necessarily what i meant, but yes, a single ply suit will give you substantially less support than ace briefs. what i meant is a single ply suit should be nothing to learn, especially if you are already experienced with metal gear.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROCK View Post
    Do you have the resources to purchase a DL suit and a Squat suit, or are you going to utilize one suit for both lifts?

Semper Fi
    i have the money to purchase both, but i don't think it's worth spending an extra $100+ to buy 2 suits get that little extra boost right now. i rather invest that money on something else in the future. so ya, i'm just going to go with one suit.

that is not necessarily what i meant, but yes, a single ply suit will give you substantially less support than ace briefs. what i meant is a single ply suit should be nothing to learn, especially if you are already experienced with metal gear.
    ooh ok, awsome. i haven't had any trouble getting used to the briefs, just getting them on, but with an under-armor girdle on underneath, the help of a friend, and a little elbow grease, it's manageable .

speaking of this, my briefs are size 38 and REALLY tight. I get a lot out of them, but they're so freaking tight i can't walk straight in them (i waddle) and i can't stay in them longer than 30 min or so because i begin to lose circulation in my legs and get light headed. so i'm thinking a size 40 suit. i'm sure i'll still get just as much out of them and i won't wear myself out getting it on and off during the comp. maybe i'll even be able to get both the briefs and suit on at once sometime. sound like a plan?
    Last edited by littleman19; 11-05-2008 at 05:20 PM.
    Powerlifting Journal

If you're going with one suit I'd recommend Titan's Wide Stance Centurion in the new Super + material. It's IPF legal and gives great pop off the floor. I'm DLing in one now in the APF/WPC. I'd recommend Ken Anderson in Texas as a distributor. Great fitting knowledge and very fast service. Good luck!
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

Quote Originally Posted by mastermonster View Post
    If you're going with one suit I'd recommend Titan's Wide Stance Centurion in the new Super + material. It's IPF legal and gives great pop off the floor. I'm DLing in one now in the APF/WPC. I'd recommend Ken Anderson in Texas as a distributor. Great fitting knowledge and very fast service. Good luck!
    The Centurion is nice. I haven't used the new one with the Super+ material but I'll bet it's nice. The material works great in the Katana bench shirts.

I've recently been using a Metal Viking IPF V-Type Squatter and it works great, also. The material is thinner than what you get with the Centurion but it's easier to get in and out of and gives nearly as much pop off the floor.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

yeah- looking at the sizing charts on elite I'd say they are the same:
    http://www.elitefts.com/size-chart.htm

metal king v-type is an awesome suit. For some reason however it was a complete nightmare for me to hit depth in. Massive support, but locked up big time. I think its because I am short and wide- the straps were much tighter than than hips- in fact the suit for me was loose as in the body and only tight on the legs and straps. I guess is a body shape thing- I keep getting told I need a custom suit. The titan centurian works fine for me. I have a metal king deadlifter and its amazing- I have heard the sumo deadlifter is equally good.

thanks for all the help guys. now it's deciding between the king v-type squatter and titan wide stance centurion
    Powerlifting Journal

ok so been looking around a bit and have decided to go with a metal king suit, but i'm thinking of just going with the king sumo deadlifter if it will help my deadlift a lot more than the king v-type squatter. i prefer deadlifting much more than squating because my lower back is still a bit messed up a bit from an injury last year. squatting heavy puts a lot of pressure on my lower back and makes it hurt (it's mainly just the compression of my spine that bothers it) while deadlifting doesn't bother it much at all. thus i feel i would increase my total a lot more with a deadlift suit and avoid my chances of injury. also, my squat and deadlift stances are almost exactly the same and so are the range of motions so maybe i can get something out of the deadlift suit in the squat. if not, i'm not too worried about. does this sound like a good plan or is getting the king sumo deadlifter not that much more benefical for my deadlift than the king v-type squatter?
    Powerlifting Journal

ok so been looking around a bit and have decided to go with a metal king suit, but i'm thinking of just going with the king sumo deadlifter if it will help my deadlift a lot more than the king v-type squatter. i prefer deadlifting much more than squating because my lower back is still a bit messed up a bit from an injury last year. squatting heavy puts a lot of pressure on my lower back and makes it hurt (it's mainly just the compression of my spine that bothers it) while deadlifting doesn't bother it much at all. thus i feel i would increase my total a lot more with a deadlift suit and avoid my chances of injury. also, my squat and deadlift stances are almost exactly the same and so are the range of motions so maybe i can get something out of the deadlift suit in the squat. if not, i'm not too worried about. does this sound like a good plan or is getting the king sumo deadlifter not that much more benefical for my deadlift than the king v-type squatter?

i wouldn't squat in the deadlift suit, i would get the squatter. you can pull in it, it works very well.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com