The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar

How do you mentally prep yourself?

How do you mentally get ready for lifting? Lately I've taken a whole new approach to lifting mentally. I prep myself days before I lift but I'm talking right before you enter then gym/lift.

I say prayer before I enter the gym. While I'm stretching I talk to myself, positive only. Some things I say may sound silly to you guys but I just say whatever helps.

While stretching before lifting I'll tell myself "I am a fuqing machine and my job is lift iron for the next hour." I am strong, so strong and I will not fail." " I am the dominant one to iron, its fuqing nothing!" Y'know just whatever.

I envision myself accomplishing the weight and reps beforehand, something our coach would have us do before gameday..

Just wondering how everyone else preps themselves. As many of us now weight lifting is very mental.
    Last edited by ThomasG; 11-04-2008 at 05:21 PM.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    I get angry at the bar.

small flabby and hairy joelhall's Avatar
    deep breathing & visualisation.

i listen to "angry" music that screams at me!

height: 6'3

weight: 175

short term goal: 200

Long term goal: Lean 225

I always know what I'll be lifting weeks ahead of time, so I'm always prepared mentally but I really don't think about too much. I used to go crazy and try to psyche myself up but that just tires me out both physically and mentally. Plus if I fail, I just end up feeling like ****.So if I'm attempting a new PR, I just close my eyes and try to keep my composure. Kind of silly but I also ended developing a habit/routine of having to slap certain body parts in a certain order and that helps me before attempting a big lift.

I try to get focused and clear my mind -- I spend most of my time doing schoolwork, so going to the gym is the only time my mind takes the backseat and lets my body do the work. I still get amped up, but my mindset is more in-control than berserk.
    Last edited by azma; 11-04-2008 at 06:05 PM.
    Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
    // Mark Twain

I just lift.

Though tonight I could have used some hyping up because I tweaked my back on the last set of deads and it's one of those strained muscles that hurt when you breathe or move a certain way. Bah.
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

Total: 1280lbs 100% raw

The key to my exercise program is this one simple truth: I hate my body.

Rage against the machine or Disturbed. Does it every time.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Wannabebig Member
    I scream, "LIFT IT RIGHT OR YOU ARE A ****ING PUSSY" while I lift a total of 5 pounds for the benchpress.. 2.5 Ib weightplates on each side.

Oh, and I sweat when I scream that too.
    Last edited by Motor ftw; 11-04-2008 at 06:54 PM.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyPitbull View Post
    I always know what I'll be lifting weeks ahead of time, so I'm always prepared mentally but I really don't think about too much. I used to go crazy and try to psyche myself up but that just tires me out both physically and mentally. Plus if I fail, I just end up feeling like ****.So if I'm attempting a new PR, I just close my eyes and try to keep my composure. Kind of silly but I also ended developing a habit/routine of having to slap certain body parts in a certain order and that helps me before attempting a big lift.
    Haha really though, whatever works, works.

O hell, wheres the vid of the guy banging his head on the bar before the lift and bleeding everywhere?
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post

O hell, wheres the vid of the guy banging his head on the bar before the lift and bleeding everywhere?
    I do this before squats...really works actually.

i also talk to my self, i do the whole "just shut up and lift the weight" thing, a countdown and try and stay as calm as possible. i also listen to music with some type of beat to keep me focused. the screaming thing doesnt really work for me.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post

I do this before squats...really works actually.
    I do too. Not to the point of bleeding, but I do hit my head on the bar before squatting. I've seen people kiss the bar too, kind of gross knowing that my skin could be on that bar from deadlifting, LOL. ( Actually I do clean the bar if I leave any skin on it. )
    Last edited by BigTallOx; 11-04-2008 at 10:16 PM.

You guys are ****ing extreme. Usually I realize it has been awhile since my last set and figure I should go again.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Into the night.
    Quote Originally Posted by azma View Post
    I try to get focused and clear my mind -- I spend most of my time doing schoolwork, so going to the gym is the only time my mind takes the backseat and lets my body do the work. I still get amped up, but my mindset is more in-control than berserk.
    This is my general methodology as well. The gym is the time for my mind to be free of the rest of the day's non-sense.

3 big breaths and visualize completing the lift....after that, my mind goes blank

I love this thread, responses have been great. I have to get myself angry before each lift. I accomplish this by thinking about pretty much anything that has ever made me angry in life. (Ex-gf's, Obama winning, etc). I also have a tendency, on bench, to grip the bar as tight as I can for about 10 seconds before starting a set.
    Last edited by jpw204; 11-05-2008 at 07:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jpw204 View Post
    I also have a tendency, on bench, to grip the bar as tight as I can for about 10 seconds before starting a set.
    This is a good tip some people don't know. If I'm spotting my friends for bench, I always tell them to grab the bar as hard as they can like they are going to deadlift.

Into the night.
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyPitbull View Post
    This is a good tip some people don't know. If I'm spotting my friends for bench, I always tell them to grab the bar as hard as they can like they are going to deadlift.
    I'll agree on that one. Didn't even think to post it, but I almost unconsciously do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidior View Post
    You guys are ****ing extreme. Usually I realize it has been awhile since my last set and figure I should go again.
    Haha yeah that's me too.

We are so laid back at my gym and it works well for us. It's especially bad when I'm benching because I'll carry on a conversation right until I take a big breath and unrack the weight.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

I am always mentally unprepared right before I enter the gym..hours before that I am fine.

One method I've used in the past for sets is to get a list of girls that I would like to bang, ranging in order of least to highest desired and match it up to the number of reps I am aiming for. If you always place that slightly unattainable woman at the top rep, you're likely to try and hit it.

Now that thats been said, this tactic has not been employed in 6 months, give or take...it may be time to start up again.

Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    Rage against the machine or Disturbed. Does it every time.
    Quote Originally Posted by accuFLEX View Post
    3 big breaths and visualize completing the lift....after that, my mind goes blank

here's my routine
    5'8" 177 (meet PRs) ALL RAW

Bench - 290 (291) Pause reps Dead - 500 (479.5) Squat - 446 (430)

Total - 1236 (1168.4)

Goals: Bench - 280 met 1/19/09 new goal - 300 Squat - 435 met 11/28/09 new goal 475 Dead - 500 met 1/23/10 new goal 525

The Quest

1) Scroll iPod for brutal Deathcore song
    2) Pretend that everyone I know (and don't know) hates me
    3) Take a big breath and hold it
    4) Proceed to set PR (well that's the plan anyway)
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

i never really feel excited to go to the gym anymore but, i still go and its when im in the gym after completing my first exercise and i see my muscles bursting in those huge gym mirrors. that just encourages me to lift heavier weights while doing the right thing of course. I just take a deep breath before bringing down the bench bar for example, and i dont think of the weight i just count my reps and stare at the ceiling :o. Good music helps too. My gym keeps putting Alicia Keys everythings gonna be alright song. Made me fail my last rep on squats :<
    It all comes down to "Light W e i g h t... babeh!", "Ain't nuthin but a peanut!" and "Yeahhhhh buddy!" - Ronnie Coleman

It's all about the benjamins....

And so it came to pass...

Weight: 85kg/13 Stone

Banned
    Just zone out and visualize the lift going right with perfect form.