The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Dips breaking bone

right so i've been doing dips for a few months now, and just last week my left clavicle started hurting during dips. my right is completely ok, but my left feels like it's compressing together and getting ready to snap at any moment. this happens during the dip(chest dips) and when im done with my reps it hurts like hell. it just feels like its going to snap clean in two. any idea what this is? idk what to do here. school coach is useless he had no suggestions. i could use help. please. thankyou.
    Green Tea
    17ys -175lbs
    Squat: 300
    Bench: 200
    Deadlift: 360
    Clean: 235

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Try adjusting your position. Maybe stay more upright, or try leaning forward.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

I doubt it will break your clavicle, but I guess it's always a possibility.

Do you have the same feeling doing bodyweight dips?

small flabby and hairy joelhall's Avatar
    is this a sharp pain you get?

its kinda sharp. and its been hurting all weekend and i havnt done a single chest lift at all. and yes its the same feeling as bodyweight dips, but it doesnt hurt as bad.
    Green Tea
    17ys -175lbs
    Squat: 300
    Bench: 200
    Deadlift: 360
    Clean: 235

I'd ditch the lift if it's causing you that much pain. If it's continuing to hurt you should go see a doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    I'd ditch the lift if it's causing you that much pain. If it's continuing to hurt you should go see a doctor.
    I'd give it a week or two off, and when you come back, try lowering the weight a little and paying attention to flexing down your shoulders when you perform these dips. Use a mirror if you have to. In my opinion, If you are allowing your shoulders to shrug and compress when doing dips, you're going to have problems like this.
    That may not be your issue, but it's something to look at.
    Last edited by zen; 11-04-2008 at 09:23 AM.
    'In order to alter the inertial mass of weights, you must become one with them, like a machine, the totality of your motion is as one'

I had the exact same problem as you. I stopped doing dips with weights and just went without them. It sucks because its a great exercise but the 3 consecutive days of pain on my pec isn't worth it. Since then, I narrowed my grip and been great so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    Dips are not important enough to cause residual pain that may inhibit other workouts. Just do other chest movements.

Where exactly was the pain because chances are it's a joint dysfunction/irritation issue not an actual bone weakness. Although anythings possible. AC joint dysfunction is a common problem in weightlifters or costochondritis if the pain is more medial.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST