Thread: Stiff Neck from Sleep Position or Lifting?

Stiff Neck from Sleep Position or Lifting?

Lately I've been having a stiff neck sneak up on me whenever I reach the end of a bench, military press, or shrugging set.

I sleep with my stomach flat and my neck rotated to the left or right on my pillow. I'm wondering if this is weakening my neck overall and is leading to why I feel my neck stiffness at the end of a set?

Also: I just realized, I spent a lot of time on the PC reading .. maybe I'm feeling ergonomic pressure from not moving my neck around much.

Any tips in general? I might try sleeping on my back, and getting up from the PC every 15 minutes. Should I try some neck strengthening exercises at the gym?
    Last edited by eps; 11-05-2008 at 02:37 PM.

Currently Recomposing... - Weight: 190 lbs | BF: ~15%

Quote Originally Posted by eps View Post
    Lately I've been having a stiff neck sneak up on me whenever I reach the end of a bench, military press, or shrugging set.

I sleep with my stomach flat and my neck rotated to the left or right on my pillow. I'm wondering if this is weakening my neck overall and is leading to why I feel my neck stiffness at the end of a set?

Also: I just realized, I spent a lot of time on the PC reading .. maybe I'm feeling ergonomic pressure from not moving my neck around much.

Any tips in general? I might try sleeping on my back, and getting from the PC every 15 minutes. Should I try some neck strengthening exercises at the gym?
    I was told by a sports doctor that the best thing you can do is sleep on your back or side. It's hard at first but get use to it. I stopped having neck cramps the second I did this.

Thanks man. I'll try sleeping on my back for a week and will report back.

Currently Recomposing... - Weight: 190 lbs | BF: ~15%