The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Form Check- Video- Cleans

Alright guys, I am trying to nail this form down. I think I have made some progress insofar as form is concerned. Happily my thighs were banged up from the cleans so hopefully I am doing that right! Here are some update videos:

The goals of the form work today:

Aggressive arch, hip extension, shrug

1st 4 Videos are 40KG

Video

Video

Video

Video

These 4 are 60KG

Video

Video

Video

Video

Give it to me straight!! Harsh criticism welcomed!
    Sarvamangalam!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Alright!!!!!!! Looking really really good!!!

Add some more weight and keep the arms more relaxed and you will be power cleaning great. Use hook grip, it hurts but deal with it. This isn;t really arguable and it will make relaxing the arms alot easier. Overall the tightness in the back was great, now the next step is keeping the arms dead straight.

I see alot of toe landing though. SLAM THE HEELS AFTER THE EXTENSION. You want to hear a loud snap.

Overall you are looking good, get the heels down and think 'more solid and tight' if that makes any sense... you kinda look a bit floppy at times, you want each rep clean and snappy.

I couldn't tell much about your breathing but fill the gut with air before you launch and hold it unti no earlier than after extension.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Looks a lot better to me. Really remember to whip your elbows around before the catch.

Thanks guys... I am really happy to hear that!

Im still having trouble actively shrugging though... Im sure it will work itself out. Just need to make it all 2nd nature I guess.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 11-05-2008 at 02:55 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    Thanks guys... I am really happy to hear that!

Im still having trouble actively shrugging though... Im sure it will work itself out. Just need to make it all 2nd nature I guess.
    If you remember to shrug, as well as increase the weight it will come together... It's hard to shrug with 135.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Really a lot better on many accounts. Don't get to aggressive with hitting the bar with your hips/thighs - the idea is to use your hips to drive your shoulders up, not just to ram the bar. There should be more of a 'brush' and less of a 'thump'. I like the straighter arms though - a BIG improvement.

Try not to throw your head backwards at the top of your lift. It seems insignificant, but that coupled with nailing the bar with your thighs is sending the bar forward. At 60kg, its not a huge problem (though you stepped forward a few times), but you will not be able to rack 100+ easily if you keep doing this. Keep the head neutral (pick a focal point in front of you and keep your eyes on it.)

I'd still like to see you do some hang work - your triple extension is just not snappy enough. More jump! More jump!

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    I couldn't tell much about your breathing but fill the gut with air before you launch and hold it unti no earlier than after extension.
    That's kind of funny - I take in a deep breath and let most of it out right before my pull. I talked to some of the other lifters around and it seems like everyone is a little different on this. Always interesting to find out different habits that people have in a sport.

Quote Originally Posted by JHarris View Post
    Really a lot better on many accounts. Don't get to aggressive with hitting the bar with your hips/thighs - the idea is to use your hips to drive your shoulders up, not just to ram the bar. There should be more of a 'brush' and less of a 'thump'. I like the straighter arms though - a BIG improvement.

Try not to throw your head backwards at the top of your lift. It seems insignificant, but that coupled with nailing the bar with your thighs is sending the bar forward. At 60kg, its not a huge problem (though you stepped forward a few times), but you will not be able to rack 100+ easily if you keep doing this. Keep the head neutral (pick a focal point in front of you and keep your eyes on it.)

I'd still like to see you do some hang work - your triple extension is just not snappy enough. More jump! More jump!
    Thanks! I wasnt banging my thighs per se, it was a result from the hip extension. Throwing my head back... purely accidental, Ill work on it. Will you explain the bold statement?

I think hanging work is a great idea... Ill try some soon.

I really appericiate the constructive criticism. Thanks alot!!
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 11-05-2008 at 07:35 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Yeah - a lot of people think that you are supposed to shove your hips explosively forward, but what you are really trying to accomplish is opening your hips up to drive your body UP (or more specifically, your shoulders.) When you go to jump for height, do you jump by throwing your hips forward and your shoulders back, or do you try to make everything go up?

The more vertical you can make your motion, the more efficient the lift will be. Think 'get vertical' or 'jump' more and 'drive hips forward' less.

So I am using the hip drive on the horizontal plane to build up speed and use that speed on the vertical plane?
    Sarvamangalam!

People don't get pissed when you drop the weights like that???
    MAX BENCH:275lbs. (11/2008)
    MAX SQUAT machine:420lbs. (4/2005)
    MAX SQUAT free weight: 385lbsx2. (1/2009)
    MAX DEAD LIFT hex bar: 465lbs. (1/2006)
    MAX DEAD LIFT straight bar: 455. (10/2009)
    total: 1115
    CURRENT WEIGHT:240. (10/2009)
    HEIGHT: 6'2

The best way to get big is to eat big, lift big and LIVE BIG.

Quote Originally Posted by MattBag View Post
    People don't get pissed when you drop the weights like that???
    Why would they?
    Sarvamangalam!

Most gyms have signs that specificly say "do not drop weights" it just distracts people when they're trying to work out. I think thats why nobody cleans or deadlifts at my gym they don't want to be rude or soemthing. I still do it though they just look a little irritated when there on bikes reading books and stuff.

Most gyms have signs that specificly say "do not drop weights" it just distracts people when they're trying to work out. I think thats why nobody cleans or deadlifts at my gym they don't want to be rude or soemthing. I still do it though they just look a little irritated when there on bikes reading books and stuff.
    I'm pretty sure that any gym with bumper plates doesn't mind if you drop the weights.

Hmm thats pretty intresting I didn't know that...

Hmm thats pretty intresting I didn't know that...
    Not the most knowledgeable person are you?

The plates are made out of rubber with a metal core.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    I'm pretty sure that any gym with bumper plates doesn't mind if you drop the weights.
    You should tell that to the people at my university gym... They get PISSED when I am deadlifting. There are BIG signs everywhere that say no dropping weight. I've almost been kicked out of the for dropping 400+lbs from the top of a deadlift on the last rep of a set.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

OK guys don't kill me, remember I am new to this powerlifting stuff, I am strictly into bodybuilding.

So here is the question, what is the point of this exercise what is its (the movement) purpose?
    Hated by many confronted by none..

Quote Originally Posted by Daone View Post
    OK guys don't kill me, remember I am new to this powerlifting stuff, I am strictly into bodybuilding.

So here is the question, what is the point of this exercise what is its (the movement) purpose?
    IMO, no reason to do cleans for powerlifting. There are plenty of better accessory exercises for a powerlifter. I'd only incorporate cleans if you were planning on competing in oly lifting or if you are an athlete training for speed and explosive power.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Quote Originally Posted by Daone View Post

Its actually olympic lifting.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=186
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by deeder View Post
    IMO, no reason to do cleans for powerlifting. There are plenty of better accessory exercises for a powerlifter. I'd only incorporate cleans if you were planning on competing in oly lifting or if you are an athlete training for speed and explosive power.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    Thanks for the clarification and the link.
    Hated by many confronted by none..

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Not the most knowledgeable person are you?

The plates are made out of rubber with a metal core.
    HAAAAA. Nice!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

I don't understand how me asking if that bothers other people and his reply being well they're rubber plates turns me into "not the most knowledgeable person"? I mean what the F*** bro where does that come from. And you know what I'm not the most knowledgeable person but I don't see how it helps the post if you feel the need to exploit the fact I asked a question like that. Fuzzy I'm sure your a nice guy but come on bro??? no need to make fun of a simple question?

I didn't see these before posting to the other thread - they look much better. The stomp is to help footing and hip position.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/