The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Another attempt at squatting... (video)

Hey all. Got into the suit again today and did some reps after my ME lift. I think these look a lot better, but would like any help you guys can give. I tried taking my pinkies off the bar and quite liked it - for some reason I have to take them off after the bar is on my back though; if I do it from the very start, it really hurts my hand :S

I still had trouble keeping my arch even with <500lbs (and I plan on breaking 700 in Feb), so I was thinking I would start doing goodmornings, and make SURE Im arching as hard as possible throughout them, and count it as a miss if my back starts to round? Decent idea, or no?

Video

Again, rip the hell outta my form haha. Thanks,
    Keenan
    Last edited by cphafner; 11-02-2008 at 10:41 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket_Fire View Post
    Hey all. Got into the suit again today and did some reps after my ME lift. I think these look a lot better, but would like any help you guys can give. I tried taking my pinkies off the bar and quite liked it - for some reason I have to take them off after the bar is on my back though; if I do it from the very start, it really hurts my hand :S

I still had trouble keeping my arch even with <500lbs (and I plan on breaking 700 in Feb), so I was thinking I would start doing goodmornings, and make SURE Im arching as hard as possible throughout them, and count it as a miss if my back starts to round? Decent idea, or no?

Video

Again, rip the hell outta my form haha. Thanks,
    Keenan
    Fixed so I can watch it.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

hmmm, Travis... wanna fix another video? haha not sure why its not showing up...

hmmm, Travis... wanna fix another video? haha not sure why its not showing up...
    You just need to put what comes after ?v=
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

aha youre too quick for me Deeder

Thanks bro

I fixed it for you. All you have to do is click the youtube icon on the toolbar then put only the end of the code in. For your vid that was 2X4nSSMLa4Q.

Take a look here.
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=94116
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Most of them appear high to me, but it is a little difficult to tell from that angle. I think you need to sit back further

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    I think they definitely look deeper than the last video. You also did a ton of work there, lots of volume. Were those all straps down? It makes a big difference squeezing down with and without straps. I would definitely practice with them up. Personally, I feel better making depth when I have a knee wrap on too, but I know the weights here were pretty light for that.

I'd say just keep working it. Good improvement for one week.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

Squats look good but you have that little hitch in the middle on the way up. Looks like your hips are moving first out of the hole and your head is moving back into the bar half way up. I'd try to fix this. GM's will help your arch so I would say it's a good idea to use them all the time. If you have access to a SSB it will really help with leading with the head out of the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rodgers View Post
    I think they definitely look deeper than the last video. You also did a ton of work there, lots of volume. Were those all straps down? It makes a big difference squeezing down with and without straps. I would definitely practice with them up. Personally, I feel better making depth when I have a knee wrap on too, but I know the weights here were pretty light for that.

I'd say just keep working it. Good improvement for one week.
    This is a good point. My post probably sounded a little harsh. they were a little high, but not sky high. Get down just a little more and you'll be good, but CR is right, you've made huge progress in just one week

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

you're leaning a little forward too...if you sit back more, stay upright, and arch your depth will come a lot easier and the weights will fly up a lot faster. i had the exact same problem and it took me about a year to fix it, and i still do it sometimes under heavy heavy weights.

whatever you do, don't look into that mirror.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

I think they are high too. sorry!

What federation will you be competing in? what suit is that?

Straps up and knee wraps are going to feel altogether different as far as judging your depth, so try to get that fixed asap. Just keep sitting BACK into the squat, not DOWN.

keep up the good work!

Ryan

Thanks for the advice all

Ryan - Meet will be SSA, and its a Metal Viking V-Stance (1 ply).

Ive competed in this suit a few times before and got successful lifts in it; not sure why Im having such a hard time with it now lmao.

Thanks again everyone. Ill post up another vid in a couple weeks to see if its any better haha

Banned

Ive competed in this suit a few times before and got successful lifts in it; not sure why Im having such a hard time with it now lmao.

Thanks again everyone. Ill post up another vid in a couple weeks to see if its any better haha
    As the weights get heavier, your elbows flair back more and more. This contributes to you lsoing your arch. no matter the weight, you need to crank those elbows under the bar and keep them there. Drive your head back into the bar and drive your chest up as you drive your hips thru. Someone mentioned this earlier. The head and hips have to move at the same time. It's a very slight movement. Nothing crazy. I actually drive my eyes up as I squat out of the hole. Just keep the chest up high, elbows cranked under the bar, and drive hard out of the hole.

Also, get the straps up for reps. Do triples and doubles with the straps up. It's a whole other animal with those straps.

Banned

Have you gained weight since then? Maybe it is just fitting tighter now than you did then.

Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    Have you gained weight since then? Maybe it is just fitting tighter now than you did then.
    exactly what i was going to say...when i was a lot heavier it was harder to get depth, but my gut gave me an extra boost out of the hole

now that the gut isn't there, (as much) hitting depth is easier.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Thanks all

Rhodes - Ima write that paragraph in my log and re-read it before every squat haha. Thanks a lot man

Reko and Lones - thats the wierdest part; Im actually losing weight right now. Used to take a good 15 minutes of struggling w/ garbage bags over my legs to get the thing on, now I can do it with no bags in way less time. My legs are a couple inches smaller around aswell. I think Im just being a big pussy and not staying with it to try and get depth haha

Thanks again everyone. The next set of videos will be even better

Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    As the weights get heavier, your elbows flair back more and more. This contributes to you lsoing your arch. no matter the weight, you need to crank those elbows under the bar and keep them there. Drive your head back into the bar and drive your chest up as you drive your hips thru. Someone mentioned this earlier. The head and hips have to move at the same time. It's a very slight movement. Nothing crazy. I actually drive my eyes up as I squat out of the hole. Just keep the chest up high, elbows cranked under the bar, and drive hard out of the hole.

Also, get the straps up for reps. Do triples and doubles with the straps up. It's a whole other animal with those straps.
    all perfect advice especially the last sentence, if your getting forward with straps down then with them up your really going to get pulled forward.

BTW, you have gotten alot stronger since you first started posting over on FI, great job.
    sponsored by Anderson powerlifting (Titan gear) AtLarge nutrition and APT prowriststraps

How sad do you have to be to lie to people on the internet. How weak or broken do you have to be to lie about how tough you are, how much you lift or how big or lean you are? You are lying to people you will never meet. The worst part is your the only one that does not see the lies show through so clearly. Just be happy with what you have, it may not be what you once had, but it is still better than many will ever have

Thanks bro . Its coming, slow and steady haha

Cheers