The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

A few meet questions

Right now I training to do my first meet ever in January. I plan to do a raw meet and was wondering when doing a raw meet can you use belt or straps or is that considered equipped. Right now I was thinking equipped meets are for shirts and suits am I wrong. Another thing I wanted to know about meets what are the rules about using gear and PH. I do not use gear and don't look down at anyone that does I look at it as to each there own. But I am on a PH right now. My partner said what a lot of people do is do a few cycles or either gear or PH then cycle off a month or so before a meet is this true? Do they make you take any type of test before you compete. Now I don't think the meet I'm doing is that strict seeing it a local thing but really want to know for future meets if I like this one and want to go in and do more and bigger ones.

Here is the meet Im looking to do Jan. 26
    http://www.albanystrength.com/Events.htm

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by Andre518 View Post
    Right now I training to do my first meet ever in January. I plan to do a raw meet and was wondering when doing a raw meet can you use belt or straps or is that considered equipped. Right now I was thinking equipped meets are for shirts and suits am I wrong. Another thing I wanted to know about meets what are the rules about using gear and PH. I do not use gear and don't look down at anyone that does I look at it as to each there own. But I am on a PH right now. My partner said what a lot of people do is do a few cycles or either gear or PH then cycle off a month or so before a meet is this true? Do they make you take any type of test before you compete. Now I don't think the meet I'm doing is that strict seeing it a local thing but really want to know for future meets if I like this one and want to go in and do more and bigger ones.

You need to look for the rules of the federation. It looks like that meet is USAPL, which I believe in their raw division allows knee sleeves and wrist wraps and belts only. Wrist straps are never allowed in powerlifting.

As far as the testing, USAPL is tested. This is just a personal opinion of mine, but if you are taking something that is not allowed in that fed then don't compete in that fed. There are plenty of feds out there that don't test. Do one of their meets.
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

Thanks Adam I was little confused when you said USAPL raw division allows knee sleeves and wrist wraps and belts only but then you said wrist wraps are NEVER allowed in powerlifting is there a difference between USAPL and powerlifting?

Thanks Adam I was little confused when you said USAPL raw division allows knee sleeves and wrist wraps and belts only but then you said wrist wraps are NEVER allowed in powerlifting is there a difference between USAPL and powerlifting?
    No he said wrist STRAPS are never allowed.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Oh thanks for that sometime I read fast and miss things.

NASA KY CHAIRMAN NASAKYCHAIRMAN's Avatar

I assume PH means Prohormones. Prohormones are illegal in all tested federations. The drug testing official/meet director determines who will get tested. Sometimes it's random & sometimes not. For example: I have competed in 4 USAPL meets and was tested 3 straight times. If you test positive, you will be suspended and your name published on USAPL web site banned list: http://www.usapowerlifting.com/commi.../suspend.shtml

The meet application talks about not using any illegal strength enhancing drugs within 36 months and diuretics/stimulants within 7 days.

I suggest competing in a non tested meet because it's not worth the risk and unfair to the clean lifters.
    Last edited by NASAKYCHAIRMAN; 11-06-2008 at 01:19 PM.
    TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL

http://www.youtube.com/user/NASAKYCHAIRMAN
    http://www.houseofpain.com/blog.html?search_author=9

611 MISS ATTEMPT AT THE 2008 BP NATIONALS
    562lb DRUG-FREE COMPETITION BENCH PRESS
    491 COMPETITION UNEQUIPPED BENCH PRESS
    2008 & 2009 NASA PRO BENCH PRESS CHAMPION
    #1 DRUG-FREE BENCH PRESSER IN KY