Thread: Getting Ready to start ME/DE

Wannabebig Member

Getting Ready to start ME/DE

Hello everyone, I've seen many threads and looked into many routines that use ME/DE work and I'm about to start using it after an initial RE strength building phase. I see that with ME, you build up to your max and do it three sets, 1-2 reps as your first exercise. With DE, for example, if you're doing deadlifts, it is recommended to pull submaximal weights 8setsx1rep, or so, as your first exercise. My question: what do the sets consist of after your initial "true" DE/ME set? I see a lot of consistent weights and reps following (5x5@150 for example). Should you not do multiple DE or ME sets after the first? This confuses me a little, I don't get why it looks like routines go back into RE efforts after the inital 8x2 DE or 1x3 ME exercise to start.

I also plan to lift like this: ME upper - DE lower - DE upper - ME lower, repeat...with plenty of rest of course, does this make sense?

Thanks for your help.

Id read through some of the Pro Journals and some of the westsider journals. Thatll be your best bet.
    Sarvamangalam!

Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by hockegoale View Post
    Hello everyone, I've seen many threads and looked into many routines that use ME/DE work and I'm about to start using it after an initial RE strength building phase. I see that with ME, you build up to your max and do it three sets, 1-2 reps as your first exercise. With DE, for example, if you're doing deadlifts, it is recommended to pull submaximal weights 8setsx1rep, or so, as your first exercise. My question: what do the sets consist of after your initial "true" DE/ME set? I see a lot of consistent weights and reps following (5x5@150 for example). Should you not do multiple DE or ME sets after the first? This confuses me a little, I don't get why it looks like routines go back into RE efforts after the inital 8x2 DE or 1x3 ME exercise to start.

I also plan to lift like this: ME upper - DE lower - DE upper - ME lower, repeat...with plenty of rest of course, does this make sense?

Thanks for your help.
    Research more before you embark on this journey. How long have you been training for?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

whats your experience? When I first started westside I had a 220 bench, 370 something squat, and a 450 deadlift. I think I was somewhere around 160 lbs. I think I would have made more progress if I just did traditional linear periodization (5x5) for longer, or tried something on Joe defranco's site (westside for skinny bastards).
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

Wannabebig Member
    i weigh 210, and i probably max around 285 with each bench, and a little over 300 with deadlift, squat. my goals right now are to eat healthy as i possibly can and lose some of the fat on my body, but i'm still interested in progressing in strength. i know it sounds a little ridiculous, but i've neglected leg work up until the last few months when I began an upper lower split and quit having bicep days. i've been lifting for about 5 years, on and off, but mostly on. another factor in this is I have a true beginner with me as well. he weighs about 170 with 150ish bench, DL, squat, and i was going to have him do it as well, but it is no problem for us to do separate routines. I am researching the situation now, by asking you guys. I had a feeling the routine was not for a beginner, but i figured i'm developed enough to start, but i'm also not sure about my training partner.

if i'm not ready for it, and ive been lifting RE upper/lower splits (about 6 reps a set, the last always to failure with progressive weight) with huge exercises for about 6 weeks now, what should be my plan of action? i'm a huge fan of mixing up my routine, and i thought westside would be the way the go for a few weeks, then drop back into RE. i've been progressing very quickly with what i'm doing now, and i know the old saying, if it ain't broke don't fix it, but i've been told to not stick with the same routine for too long.
    Last edited by hockegoale; 11-06-2008 at 06:29 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    by the way, that article is fantastic, thank you. just need to know if i am ready for it.

Quote Originally Posted by hockegoale View Post
    i weigh 210, and i probably max around 285 with each bench, and a little over 300 with deadlift, squat. my goals right now are to eat healthy as i possibly can and lose some of the fat on my body, but i'm still interested in progressing in strength. i know it sounds a little ridiculous, but i've neglected leg work up until the last few months when I began an upper lower split and quit having bicep days. i've been lifting for about 5 years, on and off, but mostly on. another factor in this is I have a true beginner with me as well. he weighs about 170 with 150ish bench, DL, squat, and i was going to have him do it as well, but it is no problem for us to do separate routines. I am researching the situation now, by asking you guys. I had a feeling the routine was not for a beginner, but i figured i'm developed enough to start, but i'm also not sure about my training partner.

if i'm not ready for it, and ive been lifting RE upper/lower splits (about 6 reps a set, the last always to failure with progressive weight) with huge exercises for about 6 weeks now, what should be my plan of action? i'm a huge fan of mixing up my routine, and i thought westside would be the way the go for a few weeks, then drop back into RE. i've been progressing very quickly with what i'm doing now, and i know the old saying, if it ain't broke don't fix it, but i've been told to not stick with the same routine for too long.

http://www.softballfans.com/forums/s...d.php?t=539259

Read this, it is the truth

Wannabebig Member
    so, stick with what i'm doing? i understand that as long as your eating healthy and working out safe, anything works. i have almost never deviated from lifting weights and eating a **** ton, so it'd be nice to try something else. i'm not trying to target any muscle groups or anything, and i dont take any complicated supplements, just protein. i dont see this as overthinking the most efficient way to build the upper part of my pec, i just get bored and like to try new things. just wanted to try something different because i'm young, i'm in shape, and i can. plus, im posting here so you guys can overthink it for me.
    Last edited by hockegoale; 11-06-2008 at 12:10 PM.

Easy to know who wrote that article.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!