Thread: critique this (program w/o benching)

critique this (program w/o benching)

Benching has routinely tweaked an old rotator cuff injury of mine. I decided to throw it out completely. Not too concerned about it (mainly focused on deadlifting and squatting anyways). I'm hoping I can get back to it someday (perhaps when I've built a bit more mass up around my deltoids).

Here's what I came up with, only the work sets are listed, sorta based on rip's SS:

A:
    Squats 3x5
    Deadlifts 1x5
    Dips* 3x5-8
    calfs (stand) 2x10
    hypers/crunches*2x10

B:
    Squats 3x5
    Clean+Press 5x3
    Pullups* 3x5-8
    calfs (seat) 2x10
    hypers/crunches*2x10

* weighted

Mon/Wed/Fri, rotate between A and B (like SS). I've responded so far the best when I don't go overboard on volume especially for pressing stuff (this is what gets at my shoulder). Do you think this will be good for growth?

I would shoot for adding 5lbs to each lift everytime I train it for as long as is humanly possible (or reps if I'm not at 8 to the dips/pullups), while eating more calories than I need to maintain. Oh, and fridays after my squat and deadlift (or clean/press) work sets I'm going to do one 20RM squat set to torture myself.

My main personal goal is to get stronger at squatting (and secondarily deadlifting) and secondary goal is to gain lean mass all around.

Thanks for comments
    Last edited by samadhi_smiles; 11-09-2008 at 09:39 AM.

Benching is not allowed, but dips are ok?
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

I don't know why but dips don't tweak my shoulder nearly as bad.

Banned
    On Friday squats, I'd work up to a heavy 5 rep max or a heavy triple, then do a 20 rep set as a backoff set, rather than doing 3x5 w/ a straight weight twice a week. Or on Friday, you could do 5/3/1 on squats followed by your 20 rep set. Either way, getting a heavy bar on your back will stimulate the nervous system and let you go heavier on your 20 rep set afterwards. Plus, going heavy once a week will drive your strength, which means you'll be able to go heavier in your 3x5 straight sets on Monday.

As for your shoulder, dropping the bench is fine but you really should figure out what the problem is and fix it rather than work around it and hope that someday, somehow, it magicalyl gets better.

My opinion, if you can't bench then you should be dipping (or doing any push exercises). Rest it up and get healthy.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Im the same... Flat BB Bench hurts my shoulder while Incline DB does not.. nor do narrow dips, nor OH press
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 11-09-2008 at 10:19 AM.
    Sarvamangalam!

hey thats weird I just remembered that incline DB is also not very aggravating to it. Perhaps I should sub that instead of dips? I figure weighted dips will help me build some mass the same as bench would (probably slower though right?)

I like this routine as posted, except for the fact that you're training calves 3x/week. I think they'll respond well to that, but I think instead you should do some rows on the first day.

Don't do crunches. Do weighted incline sit-ups.

I'd also consider switching one of the squat days to be lighter. i.e. one day is 3x5, the other is 2x10 + 20rm. I know that's not the same as SS, but I like conjugating things.

Also, do pull-ups from a complete dead hang to pulling up to the bottom of your chest rather than your chin. Add weight when you can do 12 bodyweight.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 11-09-2008 at 11:29 AM.

I would ditch the dips and do dumbbell bench presses.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

I don't understand why everyone's hating on dips. I've done a lot of benching, and my bench is at about 300 lbs. I don't do dips very much, and my deep dips are +115 (I'm 215). So 330 vs 300. ROM is the same.

Dips are a great exercise. Throwing in a 2x10 DB Incline might not be a horrible idea, depending on what your shoulder issue is, but dips hit the same muscle groups. Just stick with them.

Oh, you may want to add rotator work at the end of your workout every day.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 11-09-2008 at 06:37 PM.

I agree with KingJustin. If they dont hurt your shoulders, then keep doing them. Go to a physiotherapist and ask for a proprioceptive program for your shoulder. When I tore my rotator cuff and labrum, This is what I was doing, and it helped me recover MUCH faster. My rotator cuff healed in 6 weeks, to the point that I could begin training lightly again.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW