The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planet Fitness

Planet Fitness

Anybody lift there? I hear they toss you for grunting. Not that I do that on a routine basis, but it's definitely a possibility during squats. Also, do they have non Smith machine squat racks?

I'm only asking because it's 10 bucks a month, as opposed to the 40 I have been paying for LA Fitness.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

If it were free it still wouldn't be worth going. That place is everything that's wrong with the fitness industry.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    I have a membership across town at a World Gym which is alright. An affiliate of their's is Planet Fitness. There is one about 15 minutes from me. There is a Lunk Alarm which makes me upset. The gym is well equipped but with the Lunk Alarm and prohibition of chalk I really dislike lifting there. I only go if I need to.

The one near me has two squat racks and two Smith machines. That is not a good estimate as most gym's vary across the country.

Why don't you go there and either take a tour or request a free pass for a day to see if you like it. Some gyms give those out.

I will certainly tour, but my concern is this "Lunk Alarm". Does anyone know the sensitivity of it? Or if they actually toss you for grunting/making noise? How the hell am I supposed to squat/deadlift without exhaling 'loudly'.

That gym is horrible. I'm getting p*ssed off even thinking about that place (I've had bad experiences there, so it's bringing back memories).

Quote Originally Posted by jpw204 View Post
    Anybody lift there? I hear they toss you for grunting. Not that I do that on a routine basis, but it's definitely a possibility during squats.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ6OrO1f610

I will certainly tour, but my concern is this "Lunk Alarm". Does anyone know the sensitivity of it? Or if they actually toss you for grunting/making noise? How the hell am I supposed to squat/deadlift without exhaling 'loudly'.
    My guess is how tightly run the gym is. My first day I worked out there I didn't chalk up before warming up on hang cleans and dropped 135lb from about 3 feet from the floor. I've squatted and grunted since then with no problems. That doesn't mean they weren't watching me to make sure I didn't go any further and it definitely doesn't mean that I wouldn't have gotten the boot at another similar gym.

I would ask them how much they enforce it. Talk to the manager there and see if they take it seriously. Tell them that you don't intend to be a nuissance, just that you need to make the sounds that a normal person makes when they exert themselves. If they don't like it then find another gym. Search for a not-so commercial gym that might suit you better.

Banned
    This has to be the biggest load of crap I've ever heard off. Who would acually even bother taking out a membership there?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by muscled View Post
    This has to be the biggest load of crap I've ever heard off. Who would acually even bother taking out a membership there?
    PEople who like to look the same as they did 4 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    To be honest, that's a good point. Many people in the gym, whether they admit it or not, don't really want to improve, they just don't want to regress, myself excluded.

Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    Haha, yea I think I am going to pay the extra 20 bucks a month and remain at LA Fitness. I actually just spoke with them via telephone, and they ONLY have a Smith Machine, no Squat rack. That would basically ruin 1/3 of my workout, seeing as that I am doing Rippetoes.

Haha, yea I think I am going to pay the extra 20 bucks a month and remain at LA Fitness. I actually just spoke with them via telephone, and they ONLY have a Smith Machine, no Squat rack. That would basically ruin 1/3 of my workout, seeing as that I am doing Rippetoes.
    That settles it.

Wow, Planet Fitness sounds lame. There are no Planet Fitness around where I live but I read about them on forums such as this. The place sounds stupid. They serve pizza and donuts! WTF! PIZZA AND DONUTS!!!!

I bet if I walked into a planet fitness I would see a bunch of fat asses who have probably gained weight since joining the gym. I would probably see a bunch of skinny men who have done nothing but bicep curls for 5 years and wonder why they aren't big.

Also no squat rack!

Yea, it sounds TERRIBLE. No wonder it is 10 bucks a month. I honestly think it is for Fat people. That way, they can say they belong to a gym. Little do people know, their gym serves Pizza and Donuts....yummmmm. Could be good for a bulk though, Rhodes would probably agree.

Banned

Will n Grace

Sounds like a place where Jack would go to do a little cardio.......

They had a big bowl of tootsie rolls the last time I was there.

it's a housewife gym

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

Quote Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
    it's a housewife gym
    Maybe I should get this membership in addition to my current one? Haha, nothing wrong with a housewife gym to check out all the fine ladies.

Banned
    Maybe I should get this membership in addition to my current one? Haha, nothing wrong with a housewife gym to check out all the fine ladies.
    You could get buff at your reg gym and just go to PF for your cardio and hit on the bunnies. Given the rules at PF, I doubt you will have much competition from other males. I'm picturing a bunch of lard arses doing tricpes kickbacks and talking about how they simply can't lose weight. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by muscled View Post
    I'm picturing a bunch of lard arses doing tricpes kickbacks and talking about how they simply can't lose weight. LOL!
    Any truth that they're considering changing the franchise name to Planet Fatness?

I just watched the vid on Youtube, wtf. I can't believe they actually enforce that ****.

Quote Originally Posted by hellagrant View Post
    Wow, Planet Fitness sounds lame. There are no Planet Fitness around where I live but I read about them on forums such as this. The place sounds stupid. They serve pizza and donuts! WTF! PIZZA AND DONUTS!!!!

I bet if I walked into a planet fitness I would see a bunch of fat asses who have probably gained weight since joining the gym. I would probably see a bunch of skinny men who have done nothing but bicep curls for 5 years and wonder why they aren't big.

Also no squat rack!
    Are the pizza and donuts free? Intrigued fat man is intrigued.
    Roll Tide.

Quote Originally Posted by KarstenDD View Post
    Are the pizza and donuts free? Intrigued fat man is intrigued.
    No idea...did you take Dkalban to the gym yet?

I don't mean to switch topics here, but I did start this thread, and today is an epic day indeed for Dkalban.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunar Effect View Post

There is so much wrong with this video.. I'm not sure whether to start in on Planet Fitness itself, or the fact that the guy was squatting '500 lbs' on the Smith machine.
    23 y/o, 170 lbs

Do you understand that the second you
    look in the mirror and you're happy with
    what you see, baby, you just
    lost the battle!

Quote Originally Posted by Altephor View Post
    There is so much wrong with this video.. I'm not sure whether to start in on Planet Fitness itself, or the fact that the guy was squatting '500 lbs' on the Smith machine.
    When I saw that he was doing 500 in the Smith, my first thought was that it was probably quarter squats at best...