The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Any triathletes on WBB?

I was just curious if there were any here, I am 16 and it sounds like something interesting to work towards. If there are any, at what age did you start training for a triathelon, and how does your training schedule go. I'm not looking for anything really in depth, just a brief summary.
    "If you're going through hell, keep going." --Churchill

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan9108 View Post
    I was just curious if there were any here, I am 16 and it sounds like something interesting to work towards. If there are any, at what age did you start training for a triathelon, and how does your training schedule go. I'm not looking for anything really in depth, just a brief summary.
    I'm mostly a cyclist, but I have done a few triathlons. I started serious training for cycling at 18, did my first tri about a year later. I wish I had started earlier.

Training for triathlon, it being a multi-sport event, is pretty time-consuming.

The hardest part for me is swim training, because I don't have a pool at home and I work weird hours.

If you're serious, I'd recommend reading Joe Friel's The Triathlete's Training Bible.

I enjoy triathlon, I just don't really have the time to devote to training as much as I would like, so I tend to stick to bike racing, or duathlon (running and biking).
    "This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time."
    -Tyler Durden

Hmm, I'll have to read about duathalons, that catches my interest a little more than triathlons because I also, have no pool and I am not a huge fan of swimming, but I absolutely love running and biking. Is there a special term for a more endurance based plain running activity?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan9108 View Post
    Is there a special term for a more endurance based plain running activity?
    Uh, not sure I understand the question exactly.

Running is running. There are different forms of running training, (sprinting, fartlek, LSD) but it's all just called running. The guy that does a 5k every now and again and the guy that does Badwater are runners.
    "This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time."
    -Tyler Durden

Alright, sorry about the dumb question. I was just kind of unsure. Thanks for the help though, I'll check out that book.

I wannabebig!
    My training was somewhere along the lines of long bouts of running, swimming, and cycling almost on a daily basis. Either one or two of the activities was done each day until I felt I needed a day off.

My girlfriend and I do adventure races, mountainbike races, and she's done an all-women triathlon. I like the adventure races (mountainbiking, running, obstacles, climbing, paddling, orienteering, shooting, and puzzle-like team challenges).
    Basically, our training is lots of riding, and running. We're fortunate to have some great mountainbiking trails within minutes of the house. There's a 5 and 10 mile loop around two lakes, so we'll run a loop, bike a loop, run the other loop, bike the other loop, and try to beat our previous time. We'll do 30-50 mile road rides once or twice a week, also. Drink water.
    The Gods taught us to forge Iron so that we would not be slaves-----old Germanic saying

buy a chin up bar, sell the arm curl bar---Roddy

Not many triathletes wannabebig.
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

Banned
    Ditka2008 on here was a triathlete and then he realized that was crazy and became jakked.

Who you callin' Clown? TUEFELHUNDEN's Avatar
    I am going to be competing in the Wisconsin Triathlon series next year. I haven't done them before but I wanted somthing to work towards that wouldn't hurt my MX training. I would like to get bigger and just lift heavy too but I enjoy racing too much so I think a triathlon is good cross-training.

I also only plan on doing sprint-distance. Some day I would like to try the Ironman Wisconsin but not now.
    Goal = IM 70.3 Racine 2010 (Sub 5 hour)
    LOG----->http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...58#post2079858

My father is a triathlete and has done an Ironman. I don't program his training, but we discuss his plans fairly frequently.

He periodizes things, of course, and in the winter months is doing a lot more swimming and weight room work, and more running & biking in the warmer months. He trains at least 5x/week and usually trains much more than that (upwards of 10x/week) but it can vary because of work scheduling or if he's getting beat down.
    Last edited by Sensei; 11-11-2008 at 07:59 AM.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/