Thread: Any triathletes on WBB?

Any triathletes on WBB?

I was just curious if there were any here, I am 16 and it sounds like something interesting to work towards. If there are any, at what age did you start training for a triathelon, and how does your training schedule go. I'm not looking for anything really in depth, just a brief summary.
    "If you're going through hell, keep going." --Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Dan9108 View Post
    I was just curious if there were any here, I am 16 and it sounds like something interesting to work towards. If there are any, at what age did you start training for a triathelon, and how does your training schedule go. I'm not looking for anything really in depth, just a brief summary.
    I'm mostly a cyclist, but I have done a few triathlons. I started serious training for cycling at 18, did my first tri about a year later. I wish I had started earlier.

Training for triathlon, it being a multi-sport event, is pretty time-consuming.

The hardest part for me is swim training, because I don't have a pool at home and I work weird hours.

If you're serious, I'd recommend reading Joe Friel's The Triathlete's Training Bible.

I enjoy triathlon, I just don't really have the time to devote to training as much as I would like, so I tend to stick to bike racing, or duathlon (running and biking).
    "This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time."
    -Tyler Durden

Hmm, I'll have to read about duathalons, that catches my interest a little more than triathlons because I also, have no pool and I am not a huge fan of swimming, but I absolutely love running and biking. Is there a special term for a more endurance based plain running activity?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan9108 View Post
    Is there a special term for a more endurance based plain running activity?
    Uh, not sure I understand the question exactly.

Running is running. There are different forms of running training, (sprinting, fartlek, LSD) but it's all just called running. The guy that does a 5k every now and again and the guy that does Badwater are runners.
    "This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time."
    -Tyler Durden

Alright, sorry about the dumb question. I was just kind of unsure. Thanks for the help though, I'll check out that book.

I wannabebig!
    My training was somewhere along the lines of long bouts of running, swimming, and cycling almost on a daily basis. Either one or two of the activities was done each day until I felt I needed a day off.

My girlfriend and I do adventure races, mountainbike races, and she's done an all-women triathlon. I like the adventure races (mountainbiking, running, obstacles, climbing, paddling, orienteering, shooting, and puzzle-like team challenges).
    Basically, our training is lots of riding, and running. We're fortunate to have some great mountainbiking trails within minutes of the house. There's a 5 and 10 mile loop around two lakes, so we'll run a loop, bike a loop, run the other loop, bike the other loop, and try to beat our previous time. We'll do 30-50 mile road rides once or twice a week, also. Drink water.
    The Gods taught us to forge Iron so that we would not be slaves-----old Germanic saying

buy a chin up bar, sell the arm curl bar---Roddy

Not many triathletes wannabebig.
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

Banned
    Ditka2008 on here was a triathlete and then he realized that was crazy and became jakked.

Who you callin' Clown? TUEFELHUNDEN's Avatar
    I am going to be competing in the Wisconsin Triathlon series next year. I haven't done them before but I wanted somthing to work towards that wouldn't hurt my MX training. I would like to get bigger and just lift heavy too but I enjoy racing too much so I think a triathlon is good cross-training.

I also only plan on doing sprint-distance. Some day I would like to try the Ironman Wisconsin but not now.
    Goal = IM 70.3 Racine 2010 (Sub 5 hour)
    LOG----->http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...58#post2079858

My father is a triathlete and has done an Ironman. I don't program his training, but we discuss his plans fairly frequently.

He periodizes things, of course, and in the winter months is doing a lot more swimming and weight room work, and more running & biking in the warmer months. He trains at least 5x/week and usually trains much more than that (upwards of 10x/week) but it can vary because of work scheduling or if he's getting beat down.
    Last edited by Sensei; 11-11-2008 at 07:59 AM.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/