Thread: Getting big and staying fit. Will this do the trick? Is it enough?

Getting big and staying fit. Will this do the trick? Is it enough?

I'm doing Rippetoes as it is defined. Monday...Wednesday...Friday

On the off days I am doing HIIT training. 15 minute maximum on HIIT training.

Is this enough activity to get big AND keep my heart in good condition? I know that I can get big with the rippetoe routine...I am already seeing good gains. But what about my heart and cardio system...will they benefit from doing this as I am doing it?

Yeppers

Certainly should.
    You'd be surprised at how much heavy lifting helps cardio and heart health, as well.
    Last edited by rbtrout; 11-10-2008 at 05:18 PM.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

I don't know. I've swayed back and forth on the whole "HIIT is as good for you (heart-wise) as any other kind of aerobic activity" notion...

I think there probably is a need for long slow distance work, but I'm certainly no expert. I just feel like there must be a difference in training adaptations when you are doing HIIT vs. slower, steady paced aerobic work. My personal opinion is that if you truly want to cover all your bases, then you need to do both.

There will be anecdotal evidence all over the place and probably research that could be interpreted differently by both sides of the fence btw. Here are some blog posts by Lyle MacDonald on the subjects of slow-steady-state work vs. intervals http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/cat...rance-training

Hopefully, you'll find some relevance in them.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    I don't know. I've swayed back and forth on the whole "HIIT is as good for you (heart-wise) as any other kind of aerobic activity" notion...

I think there probably is a need for long slow distance work, but I'm certainly no expert. I just feel like there must be a difference in training adaptations when you are doing HIIT vs. slower, steady paced aerobic work. My personal opinion is that if you truly want to cover all your bases, then you need to do both.

There will be anecdotal evidence all over the place and probably research that could be interpreted differently by both sides of the fence btw. Here are some blog posts by Lyle MacDonald on the subjects of slow-steady-state work vs. intervals http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/cat...rance-training

Hopefully, you'll find some relevance in them.
    Lyle speaks about HIIT vs steady state only in terms of fat loss. Please explain why do you think you need them both heart-wise.

I thought I did when I said that I couldn't imagine that the training adaptations would be the same for the two...
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    I thought I did when I said that I couldn't imagine that the training adaptations would be the same for the two...
    They couldn't, but it depends on what kind of adaptions you are looking for...

small flabby and hairy joelhall's Avatar
    as long as you keep your heart rate elevated but below its maximum for an extended period your heart will get a good workout.

however... be sure to remember that rest is also essential to your cardio-vascular health.

I lift 4 days a week and play bball for 2-4 hours on Saturdays - the only cardio I get is on Saturdays. According to my cardiologist, my heart is quite healthy. I've had to do the stress test two times, where you get on a treadmill and they increase the speed and elevation every 2 minutes. The only people that went longer that I did were runners, so if you're doing SS 3 days and HIT 2 days a week, I wouldn't worry about it.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

I'm SS 3 days and HIIT for 3 days. Sunday is off.

I'll see where this gets me.