The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How I bulk..

Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    Genetics is the weak man's excuse for sucking at life.
    I'd love to see you call somebody with an overactive thyroid a pussy because they have trouble gaining weight.
    Last edited by Invain; 11-13-2008 at 11:20 AM.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Quote Originally Posted by Invain View Post
    I don't doubt you trian your ass off but if you don't believe you're at least above average than I truly feel sorry for you. Some men will train their whole lives and never come close to your lifts.
    No, I don't believe I have above average genetics. I have a genetic disease - Marfans Sydrome. I'm not supposed to be doing any of what I've done. No football, lacrosse, weightlifting - none of it. My parents had to sign a million and one waivers for me to even play a sport. And, I'm 6'4". How is that genetically gifted for a powerlifter? My dad has high cholesterol (medicated) and my mom has high BP (medicated). My sister battled cancer. My grandmother has diabetes. My other grandmother died of a heart attack from high cholesterol, and my uncle died of cancer. ...
    Did you not read any of this part of the post? Rhodes has terrible genetics. Its a fact. You really can't argue that someone with Marfan's Syndrome has above average genetics. Rhodes got where he is by training his ass off.
    Roll Tide.

So you're basing his entire genetic make-up on the fact that he has marfan's syndrome? I didn't say marfan's syndrome was a positive trait, but there's also thousdands of other genes that make him who he is. If anything I think the fact that he does have marfan's syndrome and has achieved what he has shows just how above average he really is.

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Why all the debating?

Some young man in high school wanted to know if he should eat all of his grilled cheese sandwiches at once or if he should space them out - we all agreed on the answer for him.

Genetics are genetics, some people are more gifted than others. I was already the size of some guys who workout before even ever lifting and had decent strength levels to start with. With that being said there are still guys who started out below where I did and are stronger than I am. Maybe the guys without the best genetics have some of the best work ethic, discipline, and intelligent training principals? The truley elite are the ones who combine everything, but I think that most people's goals on this board is to look great with their shirt off, be one of the strongest guys in their gym/school/state, and to draw the attention of others due to their massive size or power. All of which are achievable for anyone.

Work hard, space out your grilled cheese, and get to it!
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 11-13-2008 at 11:36 AM.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Banned
    I'd love to see you call somebody with an overactive thyroid a pussy because they have trouble gaining weight.
    Everyone that has an overactive thyroid is a pussy because they have trouble gaining weight...........

Eat More!!!!

Banned
    I don't doubt you trian your ass off but if you don't believe you're at least above average than I truly feel sorry for you. Some men will train their whole lives and never come close to your lifts.
    No need to feel sorry for me. This approach has gotten me where I am. The only thing that bothers me is that I don't congratulate m yself enoguh on my accomnplishments. I always think I should be better. I am in no way comparing myself to Barry Sanders, but he once said that his dad said he was never as good as Gale Sayers. So, everytime he scored a TD, he would wonder if his dad still thought Sayers was better. For me, expecting more keeps m coming back for more. When I'm satisfied, I'll probably be done with lifting.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by evnp85 View Post
    Don't really agree with that statement. Genetics aren't an excuse.
    That's fine. You're entitled to your opinion. Now, you have an excuse to fail.

Banned
    With all the stuff I say on here and that gets deleted, you really think this is past me? To quoye Red, from Platoon, "Taylor, excuses are like a**holes. Everybody's got one."

Banned
    So you're basing his entire genetic make-up on the fact that he has marfan's syndrome? I didn't say marfan's syndrome was a positive trait, but there's also thousdands of other genes that make him who he is. If anything I think the fact that he does have marfan's syndrome and has achieved what he has shows just how above average he really is.
    That's the mind. That's what most people don't seem to understand. More quotres. It's a quote day for me.

"He who thinks he can, and he who thinks he can't. They are both right." Wish I could remeber who said this.

Wannabebig Member
    That's fine. You're entitled to your opinion. Now, you have an excuse to fail.
    Not using it as an excuse as genetics put me ahead of other people my age when I was younger without ever touching weights. You are basically claiming that genetics have nothing to do with performance. This is far from the truth.

With your logic I guess we can just throw the entire theory of evolution out the window as it relies almost entirely on genetics.
    Last edited by evnp85; 11-13-2008 at 12:23 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by evnp85 View Post
    Not using it as an excuse as genetics put me ahead of other people my age when I was younger without ever touching weights. You are basically claiming that genetics have nothing to do with performance. This is far from the truth.

With your logic I guess we can just throw the entire theory of evolution out the window as it relies almost entirely on genetics.
    Now you're splitting hairs. Genetics plays such a small role in what we do. It's so small, that until we do EVERYTHING in our power to achieve our goals, we need not lean on it as an excuse for why we've failed. Too many people cry about genetics before they've done any real work towards something. When you've exhausted ALL options, hen you can cry about it. Until then, I, personally, don't wanna hear about genetics.

Genetics is an excuse... not once have I personally met someone with a real problem that affected weightloss/gain. They all say their metabolism is too fast/slow and thus they can do what they want. Unless they have a condition what they say is pure bull****.

As well, there are so few people with major genetic gifts and genetic problems to make any claims in weightlifting. Really you have to treat everyone as the same unless there is a reason to do otherwise.

Furthermore... 50-60 years ago the strongest person in the world was viewed as a freak... a genetic marvel. Today many of the things he did could be reproduced by a large number of people. Does that make those people freaks? Hell no... it shows that training style is the deciding factor for EVERYTHING.
    Last edited by BFGUITAR; 11-13-2008 at 02:56 PM.

That isn't true AT ALL. If I dedicated as much effort and time to weightlifting as rhodes does I think I could be up there as well. The thing is, the genetics aren't the rare factor... finding someone with the dedication is. You could call me arrogant, and that would be fine. I choose not to do pursue such a life as I have other endeavors. But I know for a fact that effort=results.

Things I love to do include play guitar, lift weights, and learn science. People have asked me how the hell I can hold my own in all three. My guitar teacher called me gifted, my dad said he knows he will never be able to do what I can do on guitar.

What do I think? I can just see everyone sitting on their asses all day wasting time while I went out and did things. I just practiced, lifted, studied, ate, sleep and repeated over and over. I saw my flaws and made an effort to fix them. If I couldn't get a passage on guitar, I would sit there for hours until I got it right. I would go to bed with the sound of a scale going up and down in my mind. If I couldn't figure out a math problem, I would make some coffee and figure it out until I physically couldn't. If I'm not gaining weight, I would eat a steak with cheese and probably a hamburger.

Moral of the story? Genetics mean nothing unless you have the will and determination to do something. One may appear to be gifted, but rather they are just motivated. This gives a false sense of giftedness. Dedication is more rare than genetics.

Want to really know what gifted is? Mozart.
    Last edited by BFGUITAR; 11-13-2008 at 06:24 PM.

Do you really think somebody like Ryan Kenelly benching 1075 had nothing to do with genetics? Do you really think Ronnie Coleman's dominance in the Mr. O has nothing to do with genetics? Yes they worked their asses off, but that's not the only reason they're the best of the best. I really do think genetics plays a larger role than you give credit for. Sure between poeple like you and me it doesn't really matter at all, but when you're talking top teir athletes then yes, it makes a difference.

Ernie Batson
    I don't know. If genetics played such a big role then I would as big a wuss as my twin brother.
    You can be pitiful or powerful CHOOSE.

I didn't say it played a big role, but it does make a difference. Does your twin brother lift weights and follow the exact same diet as you? You're completely missing the point and taking my argument out of context.

Banned
    Do you really think somebody like Ryan Kenelly benching 1075 had nothing to do with genetics? Do you really think Ronnie Coleman's dominance in the Mr. O has nothing to do with genetics? Yes they worked their asses off, but that's not the only reason they're the best of the best. I really do think genetics plays a larger role than you give credit for. Sure between poeple like you and me it doesn't really matter at all, but when you're talking top teir athletes then yes, it makes a difference.
    Do you train as hard, for as long, and as smart as, as either of the two athletes in this post?
    How many people are there that you know who can answer yes to that question?

Wow, lol. I honestly can't believe some of you think there is no such thing as a genetic advantage. I know this isn't really a scientific article but it's credible enough and explains some things http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/a...a/genetics.htm

Ernie Batson
    I didn't say it played a big role, but it does make a difference. Does your twin brother lift weights and follow the exact same diet as you? You're completely missing the point and taking my argument out of context.

Well if he did lift and eat like me then it would just be genetics right? I don't think I took it out of context. The only difference between my brother and I is our work ethic. Genetics is nothing without the work. All the people you named put it the work and genetics were a side benefit. Other people that posted here are just a sucessful and succeeded inspite of their genetics.

I was just comparing an orange with an orange with my example. Plus my brother is a wuss.
    You can be pitiful or powerful CHOOSE.

Arnold was a top tier BBer and now there are plenty people bigger and leaner than he was.
    Genetics play a role of course but is never the deciding factor.

Wow, lol. I honestly can't believe some of you think there is no such thing as a genetic advantage. I know this isn't really a scientific article but it's credible enough and explains some things http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/a...a/genetics.htm
    This:
    Roll Tide.

Banned
    Answer the ****ing question.

Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    Answer the ****ing question.
    You know the answer.

Ok seriously this thread is way off course. If somebody wants to start a thread about genetics go for it

Banned
    You know the answer.

Ok seriously this thread is way off course. If somebody wants to start a thread about genetics go for it
    You're just mad because people agree that genetics isn't a very big role. BFGuitar said it perfectly.

Ronnie Coleman is so full of juice (which is awesome, by the way) that there is no genetic code left in his body. I don't know if you're too young to rmember Lawrence Phillips. He played RB at Nebraska in the early 90's. He was on the '94 and '95 National Championship teams. He was one of the greatest RB's I have ever seen play. Not quite Bo Jackson good, but damn close. He had more talent than you could shake a stick at. He very well could've been one of the greatest RB's to ever play the game. On the field, he was unreal. Off the field, he was a mental midget. Trouble with the law, throwing his girlfriend down a flight of stairs. Failed drug tests in the NFL. He went to Europe and played over there. Just to screw it all up and spend some time in prison. If you wanna cry about genetics, he had more than anyone I've seen, except maybe Bo and Michael Jordan. Mentally, he didn't have the mind to pull it together. DO you think there are plyers in the NBA with as much, if not more athletic ability than Michael Jordan? I think so. None will ever come close to him because he had the will to make it happen. The mind is what seperates the best from the pretty damn good ones. Larry Bird is a perfect example of that. It's the mind. If you really think genetics plays that much aof a role, you don't have the mental power to ever be great at something. It's the mind, not the body, dude.
    Last edited by RhodeHouse; 11-13-2008 at 09:43 PM.

For the last time, I did not say genetics plays a big role, ESPECIALLY for people not willing to put in the dedication
    Last edited by Travis Bell; 11-14-2008 at 11:11 AM.