The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Results, Opticen, & Nitrean Reviews

Ive been an At Large product whore for several months now, so I figured the least I can do is throw the guys a bone and tell the local folks whats so great about At Large Nutrition stuff.

Taste

Cherry. First of all, this seriously has to be one of the most enjoyable supplements on the market when it comes to taste. Its one of those "shakes" that you will quite look forward to taking. Its almost like a cheat in that regard. Ive only had the cherry, but I highly suggest it!

Mixibility & Texture

No issues here. Dissolves easily in any suitable blender style bottle. Used in water, try different water levels to change taste to your likings.

Performance

Ill be the first to admit that while stacking several supplements, its hard to contribute single success or gains to one specific item. I have a very specific stack of items I use that i have narrowed down based on reviews, taste, and my experience with using it and its competition. At Large Nutrition's Results has filled a very specific role for me and is vital in two scenarios: when I first come off a cut, and a few weeks into a bulk when initial gains slow.

When coming off a cut, usually my lifts have stagnated or begun to reduce do to the calorie deficit. Results, in my experience, has proven to be the most ideal supplement for getting my gears moving again. In the initial transition from cutting to bulking, DOMS seem to play quite a role in my body getting used to immediate and consistent weight progression, and Reults seems to greatly improve my ability to recover for the following sessions. Between this and giving me more energy and clarity in the gym, my initial bulk sessions are consistently on point with continuing gains and usually little to no "drag". Very simply, results has taken the edge off of the early bulk stages and pushed them into overdrive with improved recovery and energy.

When bulking, the first few weeks are usually filled with relatively explosive gains as my muscles get used to having adequate calorie intake for growth and recovery. Its been my experience (though limited) that a few weeks into a bulk, gains seem to slow down and the real work begins. This stage can occasionally be a little tough as it can be routinely followed by plateaus on some lifts for me. Results seems to be a fantastic barrier breaker for me. When I reach this point, I definately am already feeling great about my routine and specific lifts, so the last thing on my mind is changing my routine to break the plateau. Again like it did coming off a cut, Results seems to give me a new edge...this time moreso in the energy and focus category, that I can get the ball rolling again and constructively move past any slow downs.

Overall Thoughts

I know its been mentioned that Results is a significant investment for the trainee, but when it comes to supplements it seems people tend to overlook the most important part of the equation: performance results. If a product is truly helping you achieve the gains you are looking for, its time to man up. Im not saying to live in a "cost is no issue" world, but if you are going to hit the iron hard you need to consider doing your body justice and supplementing it with the nutritional intake it needs to hold up its end of the bargain. Results gets the job done, and if that doesnt make it worth your dollar I dont know what will. It tastes fantastic, and has proven to show fantastic results for its users. What more proof do you need? Have another look at your supplement budget, cut out the crap, and get something that will help you get weight on the bar and keep it moving.
    Last edited by Irish Pilot; 11-12-2008 at 08:59 AM.
    - Slave & Master At The Same Damn Time -
    Hoping To Compete Natty Early 2011

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Taste

Strawberry. Taste is pretty darn good. Its no Nitrean, but the flavor is quite similar. Goes down easy, and for me can be consumed daily without worries of getting bored with the flavor.

Mixibility & Texture

Im a Blender Bottle fanatic, and I also have a magic bullet style blender just in case...but the Blender Bottle works just fine. I havent tried too many weight gainer-meal replacements but of the few Ive tried, some can be tragically hard to mix. Opticen seems to blend quite easily and nicely. Its been my experience that if you shake it after adding water, then let it sit for two or three minutes, then shake again, you can usually remain clump free.

Performance

I use Opticen as a meal replacement. At my size, I bulk on anywhere from 3ooo to 35oo cals on work days, so finding calories is not an issue. What can be an issue though is making sure I eat clean calories, and timing my meals appropriately to get those 5 or 6 balanced meals. I have a career that can occasionally keep me on the road, so I need flexibility to keep me from "cheating." I use Opticen both as a mobile meal as well as a "filler" for "clean" calories during the day. An Opticen shake comes in quite handy when I find myself thinking about cheating due to the ol'e "nothing looks good right now but Im starving" bit. I also use it as part of my post workout regime for the benefits of glycogen resynthesis, and increased protein synthesis.

Overall Thoughts

Great bang for your buck when it comes to a suitable meal replacement or weight gainer. Its clear that the guys have gone over what is necessary in a balanced post workout shake, and like Results, Opticen will help you get the most out of the hard work you put in under the iron.
    Last edited by Irish Pilot; 11-12-2008 at 08:59 AM.

At Large Nutrition Nitrean

Nitrean, IMO, is the grandaddy of At Large Nutrition Products...and the single staple of my supplement stack whether trying to add lean mass or trying to shed unwanted fat.

Taste

Strawberry. I am one of those people who has tried seemingly dozens of protein powders trying to find one that tasted good enough to actually enjoy consuming several times a day. Pick all the highest rated, most notable brand name proteins out there and I promise I have tried each of them at least once. Strawberry Nitrean is hands down the best tasting form of protein I have ever tried. I use it on a daily basis, and go through the 4.6lb tubs faster than I care to mention.

Mixibility & Texture

Put it in a blender bottle...shake...let sit for 2 or so minutes...shake again, and enjoy clump free. Its that simple. Mixes great and has a nice soft texture.

Performance

Please click on the link and read for yourself the significance of the blends in Nitrean. The At Large crew does a much finer job of explaining it than I can. As far as my experience, Nitrean gets it done whether as a weight gainer style supplement, or a staple of trying to maintain my hard earned muscle during a cut. I know Results gets some great attention around here for its performance abilities, but Nitrean is truly where its at for me. Nitrean is the easy, quick answer to the ole' "what if you could only have one supplement?" question for me.

Overall Thoughts

If I haven't made it clear enough already, Nitrean is the best tasting, and for me best performing Protein blend of any kind of the market. As far as my credit card is concerned, it is the single best supplement on the market. For me, in taste alone Nitrean simply cannot be beat...and then you have the added bonus of it being a blend of appropriate protein forms and the fact that for every 110 calories you are getting 24g of protein and <2g of carbs.
    Last edited by Irish Pilot; 11-12-2008 at 09:00 AM.

Thanks so much for your thoughts Irish!

I am glad you like the taste. Frankly, I am not too keen on it, but I use the product for what I get out of it in the gym.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Strawberry def. isn't my favorite either, but the quality of the products is top notch for sure
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

I'm satisfied with the tastes of both strawberry opticen and nitrean. isn't muscle milk but I can say it taste just great for what I use it for.
    MAX BENCH:275lbs. (11/2008)
    MAX SQUAT machine:420lbs. (4/2005)
    MAX SQUAT free weight: 385lbsx2. (1/2009)
    MAX DEAD LIFT hex bar: 465lbs. (1/2006)
    MAX DEAD LIFT straight bar: 455. (10/2009)
    total: 1115
    CURRENT WEIGHT:240. (10/2009)
    HEIGHT: 6'2

The best way to get big is to eat big, lift big and LIVE BIG.

See and the Strawberry almost doesnt even taste like Strawberry to me. With my blend Nitrean (mixed with water) almost tastes like a melted vanilla milkshake with just a tiny hint of strawberry...without the sweetness.

I cant put a finger on the Opticen though.

i think mixing milk with nitrean brings out the strawberry taste alot more if i just drank it with water it would be gross. however opticen tastes just fien with water

Quote Originally Posted by MattBag View Post
    i think mixing milk with nitrean brings out the strawberry taste alot more if i just drank it with water it would be gross. however opticen tastes just fien with water
    Everyones tastes are different I guess. I think the Nitrean is fantastic with water, however I have yet to even try it with milk lol.

give it ago some time and you wont be disappointed.

good review..well written and well read.. and well deserved choice on your part.
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

Wannabebig Member
    I dont care for any of ALN strawberry flavor protein but I love the chocolate for some reason.Strawberry doesnt have much strawberry flavor to it.
    17 yr old son training partner 5'9" 198 lbs All lifts are Raw
    Bench 295
    Squat 415
    Dead 480
    Total 1190

Me 6'2" 240 lbs

Lexen Extreme the only place to train

I'm really wanting to try the nitrean, I think I'l wait 'till my creatine is done and buy some.

well worth it..

my fatass is a chocolate whore.. and i've had chocolate nitrean for quite some time now.. a few times a day and still love every glass! Finally a company who doesn't burn you out.
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!