Thread: back sore after deadlifting

back sore after deadlifting

if i do a deadlift properly will i feel any pain in my lower back? I tried deadlifting once so far and my lower back was sore for a couple days. im dont want to throw out my back.

I will video tape myself doing it next time so I can get critique.

height: 6'3

weight: 175

short term goal: 200

Long term goal: Lean 225

oh yeah I also have to add in, that the gym i work out at will NOT let you drop weights so every time you lift doing a deadlift, you also have to set it down lightly. Same with power cleans.

Quote Originally Posted by bass slayer View Post
    oh yeah I also have to add in, that the gym i work out at will NOT let you drop weights so every time you lift doing a deadlift, you also have to set it down lightly. Same with power cleans.
    First of all, yes - you're lower back and traps will feel sore after the start doing deads for the first time. Don't worry though....they will adapt.

My gym has the same rules regarding dropping the weights. They told me "You can deadlift, but you can't let the weight drop down to the floor." On my deadlift days I always lift at the gym where I work. They have a barbell, plates, and typically no one is around but me. It works out perfect.

Yes you'll be sore. If the pain is because something isn't right, then that's different.
    Drop the weights any way.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Quote Originally Posted by rbtrout View Post
    Yes you'll be sore. If the pain is because something isn't right, then that's different.
    Drop the weights any way.
    Exactly.

Soreness is expected, start off light regardless to allow your body time to adapt and reduce risk of injury.

See if you can grab a couple of mats from the aerobic room the deadlift on those (weight on those, not standing on them).
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Ive never heard of this "No dropping the weights" rule. What is their reasoning?

Quote Originally Posted by tom183 View Post
    Ive never heard of this "No dropping the weights" rule. What is their reasoning?
    so you don't bother the other people who pay for their membership.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Quote Originally Posted by tom183 View Post
    Due to all the F'cking whimps that have being going to gyms lately and owners want to accommodate all the pansies.

Same goes with "No grunting" rules
    Hated by many confronted by none..

I love deadlifting

Quote Originally Posted by Daone View Post
    Due to all the F'cking whimps that have being going to gyms lately and owners want to accommodate all the pansies.

Same goes with "No grunting" rules

Yep. The one time I was told not to drop the heavy dead that I'd just dropped, I told the guy to pick it up and then set it down gently and quietly. He replied that he couldn't pick it up. My response was "exactly". By the time you can pick it up and put it down gently, I'll be able to, as well AND I'll be doing alot more.

He's never said anything to me again.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

im not lifting that much so i dont think it will make to much noise. I dont get why gyms make stupid rules like this. Also there is no chalk allowed.

No chalk is typical, as well. The gym owners/operators don't want any extra mess left by the same guys that sweat all over everything and don't wipe it up. They don't consider the fact that the guys that would use the chalk (serious lifters) are also the one that will probably take better care of everything in the gym, as compared to the other lifters.
    Remember, the gym crowd these days are the same as any other 'hobbyists'. They decide to get in shape, so they buy a good pair of Xtraining tennis shoes, a pair of lifting gloves and a lifting belt and then do bench press, curls and cardio or all machines.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Deads are only tough on my back when I do a pull or two with bad form then I take a break fix my form and then pull more. ohh since this is a deadlifting thread does anyboy have anythign to say about how wide your legs are. the further they are the more I can pull the closer they are the more i can't striaghten up and hurt my back.
    MAX BENCH:275lbs. (11/2008)
    MAX SQUAT machine:420lbs. (4/2005)
    MAX SQUAT free weight: 385lbsx2. (1/2009)
    MAX DEAD LIFT hex bar: 465lbs. (1/2006)
    MAX DEAD LIFT straight bar: 455. (10/2009)
    total: 1115
    CURRENT WEIGHT:240. (10/2009)
    HEIGHT: 6'2

The best way to get big is to eat big, lift big and LIVE BIG.

My back still gets a little right after deadlifting and I've been doing it 6+ months. Probably due in part to squats before that though.
    5'10"

Ultra Nasty Hypertrophy journal (HCT-12)-http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...rnal!-(HCT-12)

Old My 5-3-1 Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132576

Always learning
    These "spas" that say they are gyms are annoying. I lucked out, I can use chalk in my gym. As long as you don't get it anywhere other than on the bar *do not spill it, ect* then it's fine.

The no grunting, no dropping weights, no chalk, ect rules would make me walk out of a gym laughing.

I've worked out at one "gym" with those kinda strict rules once last year. I refuse to ever do that again.
    "Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but no one wanna lift this heavy ass weight."

The no grunting, no dropping weights, no chalk, ect rules would make me walk out of a gym laughing.
    Agreed

Make sure your back is staying completely straight even at the lowest point of the lift. Have some one look at it took because it's hard to tell on your own. I just got back into lifting and my lower back was hurting, like discomfort not muscle soreness so I had a buddy watch. Apparently I was letting my lower back round just the slightest bit even when I thought it was completely straight. Like starting strength said, it's hard to see your back. Get a video or have some one that knows watch you.
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

Wannabebig Member
    Did my deads Fri. after taking a few weeks off while working many hours. Felt good to get back lifting. I lift in my basement with concrete floors right now so I have to lower slowly.

Well I think I tweeked something then continued my workout.
    Went to parents house to pick up punching bag that my father is not using anymore and BAM..

Couldn't bend over, standing straight up was gone, real tight and sore in lower back. Laid in bed for 3 days crawling to the bathroom. Two more days walking like a old man and 95% better on the 6th day.

Bad back is nothing to joke about, worse pain in the world. I think I will skip the deadlifts for a little bit until maybe I get some thick rubber mats. I worked out yesterday (chest and tris) and everything seemed alright. I took it easy to make sure I could do it.

I think it was my form on the way down that did it.

Quote Originally Posted by rbtrout View Post
    Yep. The one time I was told not to drop the heavy dead that I'd just dropped, I told the guy to pick it up and then set it down gently and quietly. He replied that he couldn't pick it up. My response was "exactly". By the time you can pick it up and put it down gently, I'll be able to, as well AND I'll be doing alot more.

He's never said anything to me again.
    LMAO!!
    Hated by many confronted by none..