Thread: Deadlift question

Hybrid View

Banned

Deadlift question

In one of the other threads here, videos of this 6'6" 400# below guy were posted here. Here is one of his deadlift videos that I pose questions about below...

Video

My question is about his deadlift form/technique. About a month ago, I posted a video of one of my deadlift PR's. One of the main suggestions people said was that I was raising my hips too quick. Since then, I've tried to work on that, but I'm finding it very hard to do and I haven't gotten another deadlift PR since then ( but that may be to other reasons as well, like generally feeling more compelled to squat then pull, and dabbling with pulling sumo instead of conventional ). But when I look at the video above, his hips are also really high before he even gets the weight off the floor. I'm wondering if this has something to do with him also being tall ( he's 6'6" ). Maybe it's just because he's really f__king strong and can get away with it, but I'm now questioning the advice I was given ( because I'm wondering if starting the pull with the hips high is an artifact of being tall ). I'm just curious as to what people here think, do people also think he should he also try to keep his hips down ( if he was trying to prepare to deadlift in a powerlifting competition, which I don't think he is since he's a pro strongman. )
    Last edited by BigTallOx; 11-14-2008 at 11:02 PM.

Banned
    Try to get a video from the side as he does get his hips down at the start, they just shoot up kind of quick. If I recall he's only been training 2, maybe 3 years?

Video

805x2

His video wasn't posted for perfect form, just that he was strong as ****. I don't think his form is perfect, but he can pull a hell of a lot more than me, so until he asks, I'm going to keep my mouth shut

I may be wrong, but if you intend to hitch it, you may move your hips a little different. Like, you may bring them back a little like he does, so that you can shove your knees under the bar. Just a thought.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    His video wasn't posted for perfect form, just that he was strong as ****. I don't think his form is perfect, but he can pull a hell of a lot more than me, so until he asks, I'm going to keep my mouth shut

I know that he wasn't going for perfect form, I realize that ( and I'm not criticizing that ). But I'm sure he's wanting to be as strong as possible, so that lead me to my question. Do you think he could pull more if his hips stayed down? Maybe it's an impossible question to answer because everybody's mechanics/leverages are different.

Banned
    Also:
    Video

Banned
    Also:
    Video
    Interesting. Thanks for posting that. I guess I need to take a similar video, maybe from that angle my hips look lower as well.

Banned
    I'm inclined to say yes because that is how I pull, but, he is working with some strong/knowledgable dudes where he trains. He is making sick gains, so I guess its working for him, maybe he just pulls well that way. Some people are just like that, and he is a freak, so who knows. He's got a long career ahead of him.

Banned
    and he is a freak, so who knows. He's got a long career ahead of him.
    No argument there. He's very impressive, and hugely motivating to me since he's really strong and pretty tall, which doesn't seem to happen very often.
    Last edited by BigTallOx; 11-14-2008 at 11:28 PM.

Gary Heisey is one of the best deadlifters of all time at 6'7 or so. Best hip position or having high hips is not indicative to one being super tall, rather body structure. One with favorable dl structure, short torso, longer legs and arms etc like Gant or Anello for instance, get great leverage from higher hips, see Bob Peoples for another example. I am tall for my class if your talking elite level dlers, at 6ft and 242, I do lift with high hips but is due to having long arms and a shorter torso, I get better leverage this way. AGAIN Favorable hip position is more influenced by torso and arm length AS OPPOSED to ones height.

Semper Fi

Banned
    John's going for moving the most weight the most number of reps regardless of form. Don't pay attention to his form, hah.

BBQ BEBES!
    I'm 6'7" pulling a smooth 700 flat right now. Keep the hips low, what you may want to look into though is foot placement. Me personally as I've noticced with a good deal of other tall guys (if your deadlift is 100 + lbs over your squat, good chance this is you as well, due to bone structure and genetics) I use a frog footed stance which is both feet straight forward roughly, 4 to 6 inches between them. It seems almost too narrow at first until you actually do the pull and realize your body is keeping super tight and strong this way. Again this will depend on your build. Try it out.