Thread: 1 month progress

Wannabebig Member

1 month progress

am bulking up at the moment.. used to weigh 150lbs (in the 1st pic)

just weighed myself in the gym and it says 163lbs.. that was over a month of consuming 3500-4000kcal per day.. (2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th pics)

hope im on the right track?
    Attached Images Attached Images

you're on the right track with your eating, but it looks like you need to kick up the training intensity. because honestly... you just look a bit fatter. but i commend for being able to put away the type of food you need to everyday.
    I BEAT CURL JOCKEY
    BP - 280 pause bench
    SQ - 345 outdated
    DL - 345 outdated
    Clean and Jerk - 250

Wannabebig Member
    hmmmm i realise that too.. shall hit the weights harder when im next in the gym then..

would u suggest keeping the same calorie intake and increasing the gym intensity?

or decreasing the calorie intake to shed off the fat before carrying on bulking?

need advice =)
    Last edited by limjoohong; 11-16-2008 at 03:49 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    guys..

as mentioned, i have been eating 3500-4000kcal per day (fairly clean with lean meat, milk, shakes, brown rice, nuts and seeds etc).. about gym - i have been lifting as hard as i can with compound exercises like squats, deadlifts and bench presses.. they are usually 4x6-8.. and my muscles are pretty sore the next day or two..

would DOMS be a sign of me working hard?

just wondering what went wrong =( i seem to be gaining fat rather than muscle like what youngguns has pointed out..

any help/advice from you guys? need that pretty desperately to ensure im not doing something counter productive :S

How lean your food doesn't necessarily matter when it comes to gaining too much weight. Being extremely simplistic, 4000 calories is 4000 calories. Doing it with clean foods just means you are getting plenty of awesome nutrients (a good thing).

I'd suggest slowing down the pace you are gaining weight. As far as intensity, work yourself hard and be sure you are on a designed routine (not one of your own). Keep reading here, lots of excellent information especially if you are just starting.

Experience, knowledge and most importantly dedication is what this game is about.
    My Journal - Taking Back What is Mine
    5'11" 204 lbs
    Recovering from 2 fractured vertebrae and thyroid cancer

I should also note that the feedback everyone gives are PERSONAL OPINIONS. I personally like to stay lean and put of weight rather slowly as to reduce unnecessary fat gains (you'll always gain some). Other members don't sweat the cosmetics of lifting and are looking to add lbs to the bar, they would suggest continuing what you're doing.

You decide what you want really.
    5'11" 204 lbs

And soreness doesn't indicate a good workout.
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

Total: 1280lbs 100% raw

The key to my exercise program is this one simple truth: I hate my body.

Quote Originally Posted by limjoohong View Post
    i have been lifting as hard as i can with compound exercises like squats, deadlifts and bench presses.. they are usually 4x6-8.
    IMO, drop the reps...raise the weight. Maybe 3 working sets (3 sets @ the heaviest you can go at the same weight) of 5 reps...something like that.

Actually, what are your goals?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
    I should also note that the feedback everyone gives are PERSONAL OPINIONS. I personally like to stay lean and put of weight rather slowly as to reduce unnecessary fat gains (you'll always gain some). Other members don't sweat the cosmetics of lifting and are looking to add lbs to the bar, they would suggest continuing what you're doing.

You decide what you want really.

TopCat, thanks for the advice. Am definitely aware that these are personal opinions given by everyone, which I appreciate a lot =)

And yes, you are right, gaining about 13lbs in a month probably just means that most of them is fat.. and since bulking up is a marathon, rather than a sprint, i should really emphasise and work on a slow steady bulk.. will cut down my calorie intake to around 3000kcals per day and see how it goes for a month.. it's best if i could notice a gain in strength and size with little fat gain..

Thanks again TopCat!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berfles View Post
    And soreness doesn't indicate a good workout.
    Berfles, noted with thanks!

Will include stretching at the end of workout. Glutamine has been said to minimise soreness as well. Have ordered some.. but will go with the stretching and see how it goes.. thanks again!!!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    IMO, drop the reps...raise the weight. Maybe 3 working sets (3 sets @ the heaviest you can go at the same weight) of 5 reps...something like that.

Actually, what are your goals?
    Borracho,

Thanks for the advice! Actually, my goals would be to be around 180lbs with approximately 10% body fat.. hopefully by next june..

so i was thinking of bulking up to about 190lbs first and then cut down to 10% body fat.. am currently 163lbs, not sure about body fat but probably quite high having seen the pictures..

am a newbie, so am not sure if that sounds realistic - any advice on that, guys?

Quote Originally Posted by limjoohong View Post
    And yes, you are right, gaining about 13lbs in a month probably just means that most of them is fat..
    Thanks again TopCat!
    Not necessarily what I was saying and being your first month of bulking a good portion of that is probably transient weight like food in your stomach/intestines, full glycogen stores, and an increase through water weight.

It is a learning experience, just realize whatever you do/have done can always be undone (and better in the future). Everyone learns how to bulk at some point, I remember when I gained 40 lbs rather quickly once
    5'11" 204 lbs

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
    It is a learning experience, just realize whatever you do/have done can always be undone (and better in the future). Everyone learns how to bulk at some point, I remember when I gained 40 lbs rather quickly once
    I like that - whatever that you do can be undone.. lol

40lbs of gain sounds rather good.. i guess i shall aim for a 1-2lbs gain per week.. in conjunction with good diet and good training..

speaking of training, my legs have never been this sore.. but since soreness isnt an indication of good workout or growth, i guess i will just have to bear with it and do more stretching..

but anyway, thanks again topcat!!!

I would honestly shoot for .5 lbs-1lbs a week tops. I was in your position a few years back and ended up bulking way too quickly because I was just really excited about adding on pounds, regardless of if it was fat or muscle. Building muscles takes time...lots of time, hard work and consistency. I'm sure that you'll be much more content with your gains if you slow it down alot. Honestly, I'd drop your cals to 2500 for a week or two, see what happens on the scale, and work your way up in cals slowly after that.
    Worse that happen is you lose a pound or two of fat, and need to increase slightly...but imo, that's better than continuing to eat more than your body can use, and putting on too much fat. Honestly, try doing it the slow way. You'll be much happier if you do.
    Height: 5-9
    Weight:~160 @ 13-15 bf%?....starting figure after nearly a year of battling CFS/mono...so not too bad imo.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...Owner=ray34iyf
    Max Lifts:
    Don't know anymore..don't care atm.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ray34iyf View Post
    I would honestly shoot for .5 lbs-1lbs a week tops. I was in your position a few years back and ended up bulking way too quickly because I was just really excited about adding on pounds, regardless of if it was fat or muscle. Building muscles takes time...lots of time, hard work and consistency. I'm sure that you'll be much more content with your gains if you slow it down alot. Honestly, I'd drop your cals to 2500 for a week or two, see what happens on the scale, and work your way up in cals slowly after that.
    Worse that happen is you lose a pound or two of fat, and need to increase slightly...but imo, that's better than continuing to eat more than your body can use, and putting on too much fat. Honestly, try doing it the slow way. You'll be much happier if you do.
    hey ray34iyf

thanks for the advice.. will decrease my calorie intake this week and the next while keeping the training intensity high and see how it goes.. agree that there is no point in eating indiscriminately and gain little muscle but tonnes of fat..

thanks again!

Wannabebig Member
    I agree you need to train much more and lean down a tad..