The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Fat Loss

Fat Loss

I'm a big guy, and want to lose fat. My friend (who's muscles are huge), said ''Lift weights with me and you'll lose fat eventually''. Well we've been lifting for a little while, but I've gotten fatter. I'm poor and can't buy protien powder, so I have to eat a lot. I've gotten stronger and my muscles are a little bigger, but I'm fatter too. I don't think I can wait for my muscles to become fat burners. I need to lose the fat now. What should I do?

I don't want to run because I hear it's bad for a million reasons (and I have a weak heart). But I was thinking about those workout videos and realised that they're basically all the same moves, just new models and music. So it stands to reason that I could just throw on some Static X and move around for a half hour, right?

Regardless; what are some great Fat Loss ideas that even a poor person could do. Like coffe, grapefruit, etc. What works, what doesn't. Are there any pills that are actually worth buying? I tried a gnc product that didn't affect my heart, but I don't think it did anything to the fat either, haha.

Anyhow; I hope you guys can help me.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    So I was/am also a big guy. Over the last 10 months I have managed to drop 41 pounds to date. However, to me I needed to look at what I wanted to accomplish. To me this meant first gain muscle... second lose weight. To me it was easier to "mold" my body than actually lose the weight. I ve struggled with my weight all my life. So I dropped the weight but it looks like I ve dropped more than that, or least that s what I ve been told. I focused on lifting my arms, chest, and shoulders to make them bigger and my waist look smaller. I did a quick google search and here is what I found in a few places and also remember reading these statements in the past.

A pound of muscle burns more calories than fat, fat burns 2 cals a day and muscle 7 cals a day... numbers could be off but you get the idea.

Weight Lose=Cals burned-Cals taken in

So what s worked for me.....

Lifting 4 times a week with one day cardio... I hate cardio

I used to eat 2 big meals a day... I now eat at least 4 small meals.. most of the time five or six. To me this has been the most important change.

Amount of protein I intake... .66 x my body weight
    If I m unable to take whey protien shake.... tuna or cottage cheese

Friday night.. I eat something out of the ordinary pizza, a burger, whatever I m in the mood for.

Remember to recognize progress regularly and focus on the end result.

If you make a mistake.. great you recognize that you did something that you shouldnt have

Excellent post Jimy!

Fat/weight loss is a direct result of eating habits. 5-6 smaller meals throughout the days keeps your metabolism going, thus burning fat. With 2 meals a day, your body doesn't know when it's going to eat again, so it stores the food as fat, so it can use it later, thus slowing the metabolism dramatically.

For diet, you don't need to be 'rich' and buy protein powders. Canned tuna fish with a bit of light mayo and a tspn of relish is 125 (+/-) cals and full of good protein, fish, chicken, soy and eggs are all excellent sources of proetin. Veggies and fruit are good, not for protein, but for carbs and fiber. There's way too much 'real food' (non-protein powders) that can do well for you.

A good idea is to write down everything you eat for a week. At the end of the week, sit down and figure out the cal counts and the breakdown in proteins, carbs and fats. Then you can see where you're not eating correctly and do something about it.

As far as cardio, interval (HIT) training is good. Warmup on a bike or xcountry ski machine or eliptical, then go all out for a couple of minutes. Then, slow the pace back down to a brisk walk. Repeat this for 20-30 minutes.

Weak heart? Nothing will help your heart more than eating right, weight lifting and HIT cardio. You'll lose weight and strengthen your heart.

Pills or supplements needed - none. Eat right, lift hard and HIT and you'll be surprised at the results.
    Last edited by rbtrout; 11-15-2008 at 06:18 PM.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

also you can get alot of protien without tons of calories bro. like tuna/turkey for example
    Lifting is my life

I am 15
    @ 155 lbs

Fat loss= lifting heavey, compound lifts + eating less than maintanence calories + spreading meals over 24 hours

these are foods you want to stick to: http://whfoods.org/foodstoc.php
    Green Tea
    17ys -175lbs
    Squat: 300
    Bench: 200
    Deadlift: 360
    Clean: 235

thanks

in my opinion, losing weight is easier than gaining muscle. I've lost like 40 lbs over the past 2 years and the first 20 just came off from increased exercise I think. The other 20 came off due to a change in eating habits + more exercise. Basically all you have to do is find out your maintenance calorie intake and then eat 500 calories less than that. Doing this alone will allow you to lose a pound a week. If you combine your smart eating habits with exercise, the weight will come off even faster.

Myth #1: Muscle burns fat
    Don't count on muscle mass to burn extra calories. Each pound of muscle burns 6 cals. per day, vs fat which burns only 2, that's a net of 4 extra cals. burned per pound. HOWEVER, building that muscle WILL burn cals, so focus on heavy compounds to burn the most cals per rep.

Myth #2: 6 small meals per day raises your metabolism

Quote Originally Posted by Thermogenesis in humans after varying meal time frequency
    Wolfram G, Kirchgessner M, Müller HL, Hollomey S.
    To a group of 8 healthy persons a slightly hypocaloric diet with protein (13% of energy), carbohydrates (46% of energy) and fat (41% of energy) was given as one meal or as five meals in a change-over trial. Each person was 2 weeks on each regimen. Under the conditions of slight undernutrition and neutral temperature the balances of nitrogen, carbon and energy were assessed in 7-day collection periods, and according to 48-hour measurements of gaseous exchange (carbon-nitrogen balance method) by the procedures of indirect calorimetry. Changes of body weight were statistically not significant. At isocaloric supply of metabolizable energy with exactly the same foods in different meal frequencies no differences were found in the retention of carbon and energy. Urinary nitrogen excretion was slightly greater with a single daily meal, indicating influences on protein metabolism. The protein-derived energy was compensated by a decrease in the fat oxidation. The heat production calculated by indirect calorimetry was not significantly different with either meal frequency. Water, sodium and potassium balances were not different. The plasma concentrations of cholesterol and uric acid were not influenced by meal frequency, glucose and triglycerides showed typical behaviour depending on the time interval to the last meal. The results demonstrate that the meal frequency did not influence the energy balance.
    And even if meal frequency did increase caloric expenditure, and no one has put a number on this, but let's say it burned an extra 200 cals. You could just as easily subtract 200 cals from your daily menu and recieve the same results, without carrying a can of tunafish around with you all day.

The other detriment of 6 meal/day dieting is its effect on blood sugar. Every time you eat you get an insulin spike, and every time you cease eating you get an insulin drop. What this means is if you've fallen behind on eating meal number 5 for the day you'll experience an energy crash until you finally feed. It's not fun.

Truth: Don't rely on these gimmicks to lose weight.

Rely on:

1) Total Cals per day
    First you need to figure out how many cals you actually burn in a day's time span. There are three main ways you can figure this out:

Method One: Basal Metabolic Rate

One way of determining your daily caloric needs is by determining your Basal Metabolic Rate. Your BMR is the baseline for how many calories you'll burn in a 24 hour period.
    Go here to calculate your BMR.

This calculator assumes:
    That you are not inordinately fat or slim, muscular or weak, athletic or untrained

The biggest problem with this and just about every other BMR calculator on the internet is that they do NOT take lean body mass (LBM) into account. As such, they provides a "bell-shaped curve" answer. In other words, it'll get the average guy or gal pretty close, but if you are noticeably large or small, athletic or untrained, you will get skewed results.

Once you've calculated your BMR and accounted for any additional calories you'll burn throughout the day (from exercise, manual labor, walking, playing basketball, etc), you'll have the number of calories needed to maintain your present weight. Naturally if you want to gain weight, you'll need to eat more than this amount. Start with an extra 500 cal/day and adjust from there (either up or down) based on your own observations (scale, mirror, body dimensions, calipers, etc.).

Method Two: Body Type
    This method is also fairly easy to employ. First, you'll figure out how many calories per pound of bodyweight you need to consume, then you'll multiply that number by your bodyweight. The total sum is how many calories to shoot for in a day's timespan.

If you are a chubba bubba and you want to drop blubber, you can probably get by with somewhere between 12-15 calories/lb of bodyweight, depending upon how old you are, and how long you've been chubby. Chubby's who are extremely strong naturally (the stereotypical "big Samoan mofo") will have faster metabolisms because of their natural base of strength, as will chubby teenagers. If that's you, err toward the 15. If you're an old fart like me, check what 12x does for you.

Method Three: Weekly Weigh-In/Food Journal
    This is in my opinion, the most accurate way to identify your ideal calorie intake. The only downside is that it takes a little more work from you to get it right.

1. Weigh yourself after your morning bowel evacuation. Note this weight.
    Catalog your diet in a nutritional log, such as the one found here, for an entire week.
    2. After a week of following your controlled nutrition plan weigh yourself again and see what the difference is.
    3. If you've gained a lb, then you are approximately 500 calories per day above your daily caloric maintenance level, assuming you ate the same # of calories each day. (½ lb over = 250 cal over, 2 lbs = 1000 cal, etc). If you've maintained your present weight, then you are eating approximately at your maintenance level (calories in = calories out). If you've lost a pound, then you're 500 calories below your maintenance level.
    4. Determine your maintenance level. From there, adjust your calories for your weight gain/loss goal. +500 kcal daily to gain 1-lb weekly, +750 kcal daily to gain 1.5 lbs weekly, +1000 to gain 2-lb weekly (don't do this if you're over 25, you'll get fat), +1500 if you want to gain 3-lb weekly (don't do this if you aren't still growing in height, you will get fat, unless you are a mutant). This is NOT 100% IRONCLAD, but is a pretty easy and cheap way to get the ball rolling.

This works in combination with the above methods too. You can make a quick determination of daily calories with Method 1 or 2 and then use Method 3 to check the efficacy of your menu. I recommend doing this every week or two and reassessing where your calorie needs stand.

2) Macronutrient Ratios

Now that you've figured out how many cals to eat, you need to figure out how to proportion your food. I recommend a 40/30/30 ratio (or something close) where you get 40% carbohydrates, 30% protein and 30% fat. And remember to get 1-2 g. of protein per pound of bodyweight.

3) Food selection

One main guideline I advise you to follow if when you go to the grocery to shop the peripherals of the store and avoid the aisles. Around the outside of the store you'll find fresh fruits and veggies, meat and dairy. It's minimally processed and that's good. What you'll find in the aisles is food in boxes and cans. This is food that has been heavily processed and that is bad. In addition to that get plenty of healthy fats: Olive oil, fish oil, nuts, seeds, avocados, and natural peanut butter.

Follow these guideline and you'll continue to pack on muscle and lose the fat.
    Last edited by Bango Skank; 11-19-2008 at 06:25 PM.
    Starting Strength Wiki

Best Lifts
    Squat: 350x5
    Mil. Press: 165x5
    Deadlift: 455x1

BW: 177

Wannabebig Member
    CALIFORNIA, Bally total fitness is where i shake my ass every day to lose the fat and get into shape do my cardio and lift the weights heavy.
    Im with you on your struggle etcarl