Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Lunges

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Squat Heavy, Squat Often Cards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,937

    Lunges

    I'm more curious as to what people think about lunges.

    I currently Back squat and front squat on my leg day, assuming that would cover most of my leg. How would lunges play into this? Would lunges be more of a tool to bring up a weakness or a fundamental part of leg day?
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

    “Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

  2. #2
    Resolute -JM-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,579
    I do BB Lunges (step in/step out rather than walking) and to be honest they are an absolute killer on glutes and hams more than anything else. For me anyway.

    Im doing them about every other week rotated with 20 rep squats and yeah, def a strengthening tool at the very least depending on how you would do them.
    Last edited by -JM-; 11-16-2008 at 03:34 PM.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

  3. #3
    The Dude Abides Bango Skank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    127
    Are you doing deadlifts?
    Starting Strength Wiki

    Best Lifts
    Squat: 350x5
    Mil. Press: 165x5
    Deadlift: 455x1

    BW: 177

  4. #4
    Squat Heavy, Squat Often Cards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,937
    Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    I do BB Lunges (step in/step out rather than walking) and to be honest they are an absolute killer on glutes and hams more than anything else. For me anyway.

    Im doing them about every other week rotated with 20 rep squats and yeah, def a strengthening tool at the very least depending on how you would do them.

    K, so than they are a tool to strenghten the glutes and hams?

    yes...I deadlift.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

    “Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

  5. #5
    The Dude Abides Bango Skank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by Cards View Post
    K, so than they are a tool to strenghten the glutes and hams?

    yes...I deadlift.
    IMO, deadlifts > lunges, but they still have their place.
    Starting Strength Wiki

    Best Lifts
    Squat: 350x5
    Mil. Press: 165x5
    Deadlift: 455x1

    BW: 177

  6. #6
    student of the game Runty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,152
    I think the fact that lunges are isometric is one of the biggest benefits of them. They can really help small imbalances and if you are doing them really long/deep you can also see improvement if flexibility. I do bodyweight lunges before almost every workout just to get the legs/hips warm and loosened up. I'm thinking about adding heavier weighted ones in after deadlifts.
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    264
    [QUOTE=Runty;2038211]I think the fact that lunges are isometric is one of the biggest benefits of them. QUOTE]

    A lung is not an isometric movement.

    Kenny Croxdale

  8. #8
    student of the game Runty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,152
    [QUOTE=Kenny Croxdale;2038285]
    Quote Originally Posted by Runty View Post
    I think the fact that lunges are isometric is one of the biggest benefits of them. QUOTE]

    A lung is not an isometric movement.

    Kenny Croxdale
    Indeed you are correct, I meant unilateral and I don't know where isometric came from. Me bad.
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

  9. #9
    Always learning
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    198
    I used to do them, but i'm really interested in ham glute raises.
    "Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but no one wanna lift this heavy ass weight."

  10. #10
    The Dude Abides Bango Skank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by LilHillbilly View Post
    I used to do them, but i'm really interested in ham glute raises.
    x2

    GHR's hit your hammies hard.
    Starting Strength Wiki

    Best Lifts
    Squat: 350x5
    Mil. Press: 165x5
    Deadlift: 455x1

    BW: 177

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by Cards View Post
    I'm more curious as to what people think about lunges.

    I currently Back squat and front squat on my leg day, assuming that would cover most of my leg. How would lunges play into this? Would lunges be more of a tool to bring up a weakness or a fundamental part of leg day?
    Lunges are a great exercise. Other unilateral movements are Step Ups (which I prefer) and Bulgarian Split Squats.

    These unilateral movement employ more stabilizer muscles.

    Another interesting fact presented by Chris Thibaudeau (strength coach) in some of his articles, are how unilateral exercises are more effective at recruiting more muscle fiber.

    Unilateral movements develop the central nervous system.

    The Bulgarians replaced squats with Step Ups, "Bulgarian Leg Training Secretes."


    http://www.overspeedtraining.com/legsart.htm.

    Step Ups (this applies to Lunges, too) allowed them to overload the legs without beating up the lower back. With traditional squats, the limiting factor is usually the lower back.

    The lower back tires before the legs are fully worked. Hollie Evette, a strength coach, once addressed this in his strength training article, "When The Back Says NO and the Legs Say GO."

    Lunges, Step Ups and Bulgarian Split Squats are just another tool in you training tool box. These unilateral movement are an effective tool that will help your traditioanl "two leg" squat.

    Kenny Croxdale
    Last edited by Kenny Croxdale; 11-17-2008 at 07:06 AM.

  12. #12
    Squat Heavy, Squat Often Cards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,937
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Croxdale View Post
    Lunges are a great exercise. Other unilateral movements are Step Ups (which I prefer) and Bulgarian Split Squats.

    These unilateral movement employ more stabilizer muscles.

    Another interesting fact presented by Chris Thibaudeau (strength coach) in some of his articles, are how unilateral exercises are more effective at recruiting more muscle fiber.

    Unilateral movements develop the central nervous system.

    The Bulgarians replaced squats with Step Ups, "Bulgarian Leg Training Secretes."


    http://www.overspeedtraining.com/legsart.htm.

    Step Ups (this applies to Lunges, too) allowed them to overload the legs without beating up the lower back. With traditional squats, the limiting factor is usually the lower back.

    The lower back tires before the legs are fully worked. Hollie Evette, a strength coach, once addressed this in his strength training article, "When The Back Says NO and the Legs Say GO."

    Lunges, Step Ups and Bulgarian Split Squats are just another tool in you training tool box. These unilateral movement are an effective tool that will help your traditioanl "two leg" squat.

    Kenny Croxdale
    Thank you.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

    “Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

  13. #13
    Only happy when bulking radioheadhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    South Beach
    Posts
    349
    I think they are a fantastic exercise for the glutes. If you're trying to fill your jeans out, do heavy weighted lunges.
    Height: 6' weight:197
    BF%: ~12%?

    bench: 280 x 1
    squat: 370 x 1
    dead: 360 x 1

    goal: 225 @ < 10% bodyfat

  14. #14
    Wannabebig Member ReFuse2Lose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    38
    All around a good compound leg exercise. Personally i like doing them with DB's, its easier on my back
    Big 3:
    Bench: 165
    Squat:250x3
    DeadLift 225x5

    Supplements: Nitrean, Fish Oil, Glutamine, Creatine Mono.

  15. #15
    Hungry like the wolf. Dgro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    749
    Lunges are absolutely my third favorite leg exercise, after the obvious two. They hit my hip flexors and glutes better than squats or deadlifts imho.
    ::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

    Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

    "I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

  16. #16
    Squat Heavy, Squat Often Cards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,937
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgro View Post
    Lunges are absolutely my third favorite leg exercise, after the obvious two. They hit my hip flexors and glutes better than squats or deadlifts imho.
    I guess this is what i was looking for. Again, I front and back squat and do dl's so i hit my hams and glutes pretty hard (ATG style squating). Just wanted to figure out if lunges were really needed. I personally hate them.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

    “Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

  17. #17
    Hungry like the wolf. Dgro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    749
    You do Front Squat, Back Squat, and DL all on the same day? Or am I misunderstanding?
    ::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

    Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

    "I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

  18. #18
    Squat Heavy, Squat Often Cards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,937
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgro View Post
    You do Front Squat, Back Squat, and DL all on the same day? Or am I misunderstanding?
    I deadlift on back day than squat/ front squat the day after.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

    “Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

  19. #19
    SchModerator ZenMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    5,478
    Unilateral hip movements are a great variation. Lunges typically blast my glutes
    Sarvamangalam!

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Morrisville,PA
    Posts
    3,071
    When I do lunges, my squats the next week are always easier. Most of this is due to the functional strength you get from them and the added flexibility. They are also extremely taxing if you do heavy weight. For instance today I did ATG squats of 245 x 6, 290 x 2, and 245 x 6. I followed this up with 3 sets of walking DB lunges holding 70 pounds for 12 steps. I can tell you that the lunges were WAY more taxing than the squats and I felt much more of a "pump". I do them twice a week and my squats get easier everytime.
    Last edited by mchicia1; 11-19-2008 at 06:16 PM.

  21. #21
    TJW jed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3,712
    yes i suggest throwing in lunges. and i think after squatting and front squatting and lunging in the same day, youll be dead tired too haha. lunges help a lot to stablize, and work my glutes, hams and quads.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone ever do lunges (or split squats) in a rack? Is it possible?
    By Outshine in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-14-2008, 08:08 PM
  2. Lunges & Step Ups = more for quads or hams?
    By Outshine in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-03-2007, 09:57 AM
  3. Are lunges better than squats for legs?
    By JConrad in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-09-2006, 07:01 PM
  4. Rear lunges?
    By JConrad in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-09-2006, 11:57 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •