Thread: Routine and Other Questions

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Routine and Other Questions

Hi All,

Due to my new work/life schedule, I'm trying to create a simplistic 3 day routine that would allow for moderate gains over time. I'd like it to revolve around compounds.

Here is what I was thinking:

Day 1
    Flat Bench 5x5
    OH Press 3x5
    Incline Bench 3x8
    Dips 3 x8

Day 2
    Rest

Day 3
    Deads 5x5
    Rows 3x5
    Chins 3x8
    Lat Pulldown 3X8

Day 4
    Rest

Day 5
    Squats 5x5
    Leg Press 1x20
    RDL 3x8

Do you think Day 1 puts too much strain on my shoulders? I just tossed together the legs day, and I'm sure it needs some tweaking. Thanks for the help.

Doesn't look too bad. A suggestion - on back day, do bent over rows last, it will give your low back a bit of recovery after doing deads. I usually do b/o rows last. This morning, I tried them right after doing a butt-load of pin pulls (hopefully, that's the right term) and some high pulls. I could barely do the same weight I did last week on them.

Also, many will probably say only do 3X5 on deads. I'd leave it. A 5X5 has you doing 5X5 on deads. You just have to start lighter and progress a bit slower, but 5X5 on deads is killer.

Legs day, you might consider alternating the leg press with a set of 20 rep squats. Of course, after 5X5, that's brutal and the weight has to be way lighter, but just a thought. SLDL's, as well.
    Last edited by rbtrout; 11-17-2008 at 10:27 AM.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the advice. I just wanted to clarify though, should I replace the RDL with sets of SLDL?

I would, although the above advice is pretty good, as well.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Banned
    you can't really go wrong with that routine. compounds are always effective.

Nice routine. I would get rid of either the overhead press or incline bench personally. But, I like a little less volume. I would also alternate days 3 and 5. Much easier to dead after squatting, than squat after deadlifting.
    Last edited by joey54; 11-18-2008 at 04:07 PM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Nice routine. I would get rid of either the overhead press or incline bench personally.
    I was going to suggest that as well. If you are doing flat bench and overhead, then there are no muscles left for the inclines that the other 2 didn't already take care of.

I might also drop the pulldowns on Wednesday since you're already doing chins. Deads, rows, and chins will adequately cover all of the muscles in your back.

I would also switch the order of your workout days 1-3-5 to 5-1-3. You'll want your bench day in between your squat and deadlift days.
    Last edited by Lunar Effect; 11-18-2008 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiftysev3n View Post
    Hi All,

Due to my new work/life schedule, I'm trying to create a simplistic 3 day routine that would allow for moderate gains over time. I'd like it to revolve around compounds.
    You've created it. This is a great routine.
    Last edited by anonymous1; 11-18-2008 at 04:40 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the help everyone. I'll use the advice to modify the routine. Do the sets/reps seem sensible for my lower body day?

I don't do the leg press, but if I did I would probably increase the weight enough to do something like 2x8 rather than 1x20.