The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Routine and Other Questions

Hi All,

Due to my new work/life schedule, I'm trying to create a simplistic 3 day routine that would allow for moderate gains over time. I'd like it to revolve around compounds.

Here is what I was thinking:

Day 1
    Flat Bench 5x5
    OH Press 3x5
    Incline Bench 3x8
    Dips 3 x8

Day 2
    Rest

Day 3
    Deads 5x5
    Rows 3x5
    Chins 3x8
    Lat Pulldown 3X8

Day 4
    Rest

Day 5
    Squats 5x5
    Leg Press 1x20
    RDL 3x8

Do you think Day 1 puts too much strain on my shoulders? I just tossed together the legs day, and I'm sure it needs some tweaking. Thanks for the help.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Doesn't look too bad. A suggestion - on back day, do bent over rows last, it will give your low back a bit of recovery after doing deads. I usually do b/o rows last. This morning, I tried them right after doing a butt-load of pin pulls (hopefully, that's the right term) and some high pulls. I could barely do the same weight I did last week on them.

Also, many will probably say only do 3X5 on deads. I'd leave it. A 5X5 has you doing 5X5 on deads. You just have to start lighter and progress a bit slower, but 5X5 on deads is killer.

Legs day, you might consider alternating the leg press with a set of 20 rep squats. Of course, after 5X5, that's brutal and the weight has to be way lighter, but just a thought. SLDL's, as well.
    Last edited by rbtrout; 11-17-2008 at 10:27 AM.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the advice. I just wanted to clarify though, should I replace the RDL with sets of SLDL?

I would, although the above advice is pretty good, as well.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Banned
    you can't really go wrong with that routine. compounds are always effective.

Nice routine. I would get rid of either the overhead press or incline bench personally. But, I like a little less volume. I would also alternate days 3 and 5. Much easier to dead after squatting, than squat after deadlifting.
    Last edited by joey54; 11-18-2008 at 04:07 PM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Quote Originally Posted by Fiftysev3n View Post
    Hi All,

Due to my new work/life schedule, I'm trying to create a simplistic 3 day routine that would allow for moderate gains over time. I'd like it to revolve around compounds.
    You've created it. This is a great routine.
    Last edited by anonymous1; 11-18-2008 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Nice routine. I would get rid of either the overhead press or incline bench personally.
    I was going to suggest that as well. If you are doing flat bench and overhead, then there are no muscles left for the inclines that the other 2 didn't already take care of.

I might also drop the pulldowns on Wednesday since you're already doing chins. Deads, rows, and chins will adequately cover all of the muscles in your back.

I would also switch the order of your workout days 1-3-5 to 5-1-3. You'll want your bench day in between your squat and deadlift days.
    Last edited by Lunar Effect; 11-18-2008 at 05:06 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the help everyone. I'll use the advice to modify the routine. Do the sets/reps seem sensible for my lower body day?

I don't do the leg press, but if I did I would probably increase the weight enough to do something like 2x8 rather than 1x20.