Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trying to understand shirts and suits

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Invain View Post
    Most people miss raw lifts because it's simply too heavy.
    OK, let's try your benching example:

Raw bencher misses lift.

Gets pinned. Too heavy?

Elbows flare too early. Too heavy?

Can't break sticking point. Too heavy?

Brings bar too low on chest. Too heavy?

Uneven bar path. Too heavy?

Uneven arm extension. Too heavy?

Ass lifts off bench. Too heavy?

Uncontrolled descent. Too heavy?

Loses upper back tightness. Too heavy?
    Last edited by Brad08; 11-18-2008 at 10:40 AM.

Gear debates = useless
    Roll Tide.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KarstenDD View Post
    Gear debates = useless
    Exactly - someone should post some titties in here.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    whats funny to me is that you don't hear the guys at the top of EITHER group complaining about the other.
    Good point Mr. Travis.

then whats the problem?

I fail to see what your point is in posting here besides bashing gear.

You have meets to lift in, you've lifted raw, nobody stuck a gun in your face and made you put on a shirt, so whats the problem?

Some of us lift in gear, some of us do both in gear and out of gear.

To me the excuse that you don't like gear because its very technical is a lazy excuse for poor form. Benching in a shirt has made me a better raw lifter. Some of the best raw lifters also lift in gear. Rob Wilkerson (KingKong) and Ryan Celli are two good examples and whats funny to me is that you don't hear the guys at the top of EITHER group complaining about the other.
    Travis did you forget why this thread was started in the first place?

I also never said I dislike gear because it's technical.

Like I said, I'm not trying to hate on gear. Re-read some of my original posts.

I think the whole point of this thread is, why did gear become popular in the first place? Our sport is all about pure raw strength, or it began that way. There's really no reason to wear a suit or shirt when you think about it. The way gear is now a days it seems like technique is almost more important than pure strength. Really, what's the point in throwing on a bench shirt that'll help you squeeze out another 100 lbs when you know you can't lift that weight by yourself? Sure they're gonna make more advanced swimming suits, when he hell does anybody swim without a suit on? Do you understand my logic? I'm not really trying to bash gear, but I think a lot of people don't understand how it even got started.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    Exactly - someone should post some titties in here.

Good point Mr. Ben.

Banned
    Re-read some of my original posts.
    No! I can't! My sides already hurt from all the LoL's.

Banned
    I think the whole point of this thread is, why did gear become popular in the first place? Our sport is all about pure raw strength, or it began that way. There's really no reason to wear a suit or shirt when you think about it. The way gear is now a days it seems like technique is almost more important than pure strength. Really, what's the point in throwing on a bench shirt that'll help you squeeze out another 100 lbs when you know you can't lift that weight by yourself? Sure they're gonna make more advanced swimming suits, when he hell does anybody swim without a suit on? Do you understand my logic? I'm not really trying to bash gear, but I think a lot of people don't understand how it even got started.

seems like it to me.

Banned
    Travis did you forget why this thread was started in the first place?

I also never said I dislike gear because it's technical.

Ahh, what about this jewel?

Don't wanna get into this argument because we all know where this'll go, but I gotta say, Deeder mose of those are very poor examples. Cleats in football? Almost every sport which involves you running on grass uses cleats, it's rediculous not to. What would an NFL football game on a rainy day look like if nobody wore cleats? Skates in hockey? Isn't that the whole point? Kinda hard to skate without skates.

What's the point in powerlifting? Moving weight with your strength/muscle. To me it seems like gear defeats the whole purpose. Gear also isn't required in powerlifting and there's different ply, as you know. Somebody using a bench shirt or squat suit has a pretty rediculous advantage over another guy lifting raw.

Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    seems like it to me.
    Simply my opinions. Yes, some of that could have been worded better to stress that these are only my thoughts.

What's the point in powerlifting? Moving weight with your strength/muscle. To me it seems like gear defeats the whole purpose. Gear also isn't required in powerlifting and there's different ply, as you know. Somebody using a bench shirt or squat suit has a pretty rediculous advantage over another guy lifting raw.
    Yes, but you're forgetting, skates, pads, face shileds, swim suits, etc, are all required for their sport. Of course they're gonna make the most technologically advanced skates they can, why not.

hahaha C'mon Invain you're contradicting yourself now. You really don't like gear at all and you clearly said how lifting is more technical than physical in your opinion, implying that was a negative thing

Also, what meet did you compete in? Have you ever worn a bench shirt?

I freaking hated shirts when I got into powerlifting. But I wanted to be the best lifter I could be so I spent around 2 years just trying to figure them out. Wasn't easy but it worked. Now I'm pretty good at both

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Sweet!!! A gear bashing thread!!!

750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

There's only one way to squat. Double ply, 2" high and 1 red light.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    There's only one way to squat. Double ply, 2" high and 1 red light.
    Lol, cuz 3 whites means you went too deep!

I said "it seems like". Really Travis, why has the IPF made statements before wanting to limit bench shirts. You know what I meen when I say "technique".

I've only lifted in a couple unsanctioned local meets, including one here at school which our pl team put on. No I've never worn a shirt, I've never had access to one.

Titties would be neat.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    Titties would be neat.
    Sine you are the OP and you accepted the thread jack, I'll deliver when I get home.

If this is still open that is. I'll try to keep it SFW.

Banned

Nicely done Brad!
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

I said "it seems like". Really Travis, why has the IPF made statements before wanting to limit bench shirts.
    Man, the IPF is a bad example. They talk about it a lot, but notice how they never actually do make any limits on the shirts? Every new single ply shirt that came out has been certified. When they do talk about it though, it puts them in a better bargaining position with the gear manufacturers. The manufacturers will be willing to pay more if they feel that its possible their shirt might not get certified.

Anymore, there really isn't a difference between single and double ply anyways thanks to the lamaninates.

I've only lifted in a couple unsanctioned local meets, including one here at school which our pl team put on.
    My only point is that it might be good to reserve such strong judgement until you've broadened your experience level a bit more.

No I've never worn a shirt, I've never had access to one.
    Then I don't understand how you can so quickly condemn them and be so sure you understand how shirted benching works.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

whats funny to me is that you don't hear the guys at the top of EITHER group complaining about the other.
    I read an interview with Ed Coan where he mentioned that he thought using gear was for pussies (or something to that effect).

LOL I have no idea what interview you're talking about, but I can promise you Ed wouldn't agree with that statement. If he did say it, he may have said it out of frustration.

But I really doubt Ed said that because he wore gear almost all the time

LOL I have no idea what interview you're talking about, but I can promise you Ed wouldn't agree with that statement. If he did say it, he may have said it out of frustration.

But I really doubt Ed said that because he wore gear almost all the time
    this isn't the interview that I was referring to, but this is another one where he mrntions that he doesn't particularly care for gear:

http://www.criticalbench.com/Ed-Coan.htm

Yet he wore gear pretty consistently.

My point was that they don't diminish each other accomplishments, there is a mutual respect. Some of the posters in this thread don't seem to be able to show a level of respect for both accomplishments, rather they feel the need to tear one or the other down.

Alas, I tire of this thread. I have a final to go take. Have a nice day

Yet he wore gear pretty consistently.
    It wouldn't be the first time that he contradicted himself. He said in that very same interview that he never trains biceps, but I have read some of his routines where he does preacher curls.

My point was that they don't diminish each other accomplishments, there is a mutual respect. Some of the posters in this thread don't seem to be able to show a level of respect for both accomplishments, rather they feel the need to tear one or the other down.
    I got your point. That being said, I don't really see how someone using gear could tear down someone not using gear. Especially if they're lifting near the same weight.

Alas, I tire of this thread. I have a final to go take. Have a nice day
    Good luck on your final!