Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Trying to understand shirts and suits

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Seriously though, I know guys who get over 300 pounds from their shirts. That would put me at 900+. I am not there yet, but I don't complain. I just have to learn the shirt and technique better. Crying about sh1t is for bitches. I'll just SFW!
    BOOM MF'ER!

Roll Tide.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deeder View Post
    I don't understand the point of cleats in football... Doesn't that defeat the purpose of training to move quickly? Doesn't it just allow you to artificially turn faster and stuff?

I don't understand the point of skates in hockey... Don't they just make you move faster on ice?

I don't understand the point of swim caps and suits in speed swimming... Doesn't it defeat the purpose of training to go fast when you can just put on a swim cap and a jacked up suit that will make you swim faster?

Understand now?

Every sport has its equipment. Not all pick up games of hockey have shoulder pads and shin guards but it's never referred to as RAW hockey. If powerlifting were a mainstream sport you wouldn't question the equipment at all, just like you don't for any other sport. The only reason it ever comes up is because ever guy who has ever stepped in to a gym thinks he could do what we do if he had a squat suit and bench shirt too.
    This is one of the best things I have ever read in my entire life...well done deeder, thats a perfect explanation.

Demons of Steel and Flesh HP666's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Can a weaker lifter proficient with equipment lift more than a stronger lifter going raw? Hell yes and so what? If the raw lifter doesn't like it, they have choices - lift w. equipment and/or get stronger PERIOD.

Unless you've spent some time with equipment, there's no way you will have any appreciation for it. It is not an excuse to be weak. It is a different competition. If you don't like it, compete in raw-only competitions. If you don't compete, I don't understand why anyone would give a **** unless they had WAAAY too much time on their hands.

Best post on this thread!!!!!

I find that people who are against gear are 99.9% of the time people who have never tried it and really have no idea what they're talking about.....
    and they haven't tried it because A) they can't afford it(lame excuse), B) they think it makes their lifting less manly for some reason(lame excuse), or C) which is plain and simple, they are scared of it. Which is why the anti gear prejudice comes into play. Kind of like a microcosm of society, people display bigotry and prejudice about a lot of things due to ignorance. This is no different. And the first guy that gets on here and says "I tried it and I hated it! I think it's wrong to use gear!", I wanna see a picture of you wearing it and training.
    Last edited by HP666; 11-18-2008 at 07:09 PM.

Good explanation Sensei. No, I never competed before, nor am I against using gear. I'm new at this, and I like lifting raw for now. I honestly was just interested in this debate as I find most things about powerlifting to be very interesting.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

The only problem I have with gear is the cost. At $100 a pop, thatís $300 just for suits, not to mention belts arenít cheap nor are special shoes. Also, I hear bench shirts give out fairly quick. I understand that you can lift without it, but thatís like playing on the PGA tour with a set of clubs from walmart versus a custom set made by Titleist, the performance just isnít there. Bottom line, if you want to be competitive you need the right gear.

If youíre just lifting for yourself and trying to hit a new PR, who gives a **** then.

Quote Originally Posted by accuFLEX View Post
    The only problem I have with gear is the cost. At $100 a pop, thatís $300 just for suits, not to mention belts arenít cheap nor are special shoes. Also, I hear bench shirts give out fairly quick. I understand that you can lift without it, but thatís like playing on the PGA tour with a set of clubs from walmart versus a custom set made by Titleist, the performance just isnít there. Bottom line, if you want to be competitive you need the right gear.

If youíre just lifting for yourself and trying to hit a new PR, who gives a **** then.
    100$ a pop? Haha yeah if you're getting the "walmart clubs".

My current competition equipment:
    Metal King Squatter: 175$
    Metal King Presser: 200$
    Metal King Sumo Deadlifter: 165$
    Metal All Black Knee Wraps: 56$
    Inzer Economy Power Belt: 40$
    Olympic Weightlifting Shoes (I can't remember the brand): 150$
    Chucks: 60$
    Deadlift Socks: 14$
    Singlet: 40$

Total: 900$

Other equipment that I own:
    5 pairs of Metal All Black Knee Wraps
    Metal Viking Squatter
    Metal V-Type Squatter
    Metal Viking Presser
    Metal Viking Deadlifter

I did my first contest in full gear August 2007 Before that I was just using knee wraps and a belt.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Banned
    $60 for chucks?

You need to learn how to bargain shop!

deeder, doesn't Titan make pretty solid bench shirts for $100? I realize some brands will cost more. For me, being a student, I can't afford all the powerlifting gear which sucks if I wanted to be competitive in comps (I live in a small province and we don't have raw comps). But who knows, maybe in a few years I'll buy some equipment and compete.

Banned
    I live in a small province and we don't have raw comps

Your fed wont let you lift raw???!

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    $60 for chucks?

He's from Canada EH. That's like $20 here, lol.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rodgers View Post
    He's from Canada EH. That's like $20 here, lol.
    Lol. It was actually worth more for a brief bit, and still is up there I think about 80 Canadian cents to the dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by WillNoble View Post
    Your fed wont let you lift raw???!
    They will. Regeneration is $60. I think if everyone else lifted raw I'd be able to be competitive locally in the 90kg class, but $60 for 9 lifts just to get blown out of the water is a bit much.

Banned
    Regeneration is $60.
    **** thats worth the death penalty!!!!!!
    Are we limited to 8 regens like cats or is it determined by how much money we have?

You can probably guy used gear for cheap if you want. Its a good way to try out different styles/brands without having to shell out too much money. Plus they will be broken in already and easier to work with.
    Last edited by Reko; 11-19-2008 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    $60 for chucks?

Bargain shopping doesn't happen the night before your first contest when you realize at about 8pm that you can't squat and deadlift in socks...
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)