Thread: Dinnie Stone training

Banned

Dinnie Stone training

So my wife and I are planning a trip to Scotland, Ireland and maybe England next September (2009) and I am planning on attempting to lift the Dinnie Stones. This may be my only chance to pull these so I want to get ready and give it my best.

Does anyone have any ideas on training to lift them? Any particular lifts that you'd think would be beneficial etc? I was thinking heavy rack pulls or even trap bar deadlifts (maybe off of platforms). Any tips from those who have pulled them would be appreciated as well.

Do you have a picture of one of them, or some statistics?

I have lifted river rocks before and they can be a little tricky - but good technique will help.

Start practicing things like bent over rows and stiff leg deadlifts. You can even do the rows by pressing two plates together (smooth side out) so that you increase grip and crushing strength as well.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Banned
    The Dinnie Stones are famous "manhood" stones in Scotland. There are two of them and the challenge is to lift both at the same time. There's a ring on each one and the small one weighs 321 and the larger one weighs 413.

Here's a link to a site that shows successful lifters (with some youtube links of some lifts):http://gordondinnie.com/Lifts.html

Here's a sample lift:

Video

it looks like heavy rack pulls would really help.

Banned
    Jefferson rack pulls!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    Jefferson rack pulls!
    What are these?

Banned
    Ever heard of the jefferson lift? Its a deadlift where you straddle the bar pretty much. Just a smart ass suggestion to do the same with rack pulls lol.
    http://weightlifting.moonfruit.com/#...ift/4511452295

apparently its called a Kennedy lift...

jefferson dead lifts just seem wrong in so many ways.

They sell steel rings at ironmind.com - I'd start with those and hook them to plates or barbells with chain and start pulling. I'm certainly no expert, but I think you'll need to be pretty conservative using the rings however - you'll probably develop some nasty tendonitis in your fingers if you do too much too soon. I'd use the rings just to get accustomed to pulling with them.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Banned
    Travis, if you are willing we can make the trip out to Dino Gym in Kansas. That's Al Meyers place and he made replicas to get ready for the same thing. Plus it's one of the most badass home gyms you'll ever find.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    Travis, if you are willing we can make the trip out to Dino Gym in Kansas. That's Al Meyers place and he made replicas to get ready for the same thing. Plus it's one of the most badass home gyms you'll ever find.
    As soon as I get a weekend when I'm not deer hunting, I'm up for a trip over there, just let me know when.