The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Please could i get some adivce on my workout and goals

Hey

I've been working out now for about 9 months. Im 5'11 and about 160lbs. Im looking to gain size and was hoping on some adivce for my workout. When i started 9 months ago i was 130lbs. I feel like i could have put on another 20lbs by now, but i need to focus on my diet a lot more and stick to it. Increasing my apetite is very hard.

Current lifts for a 3x5 are

Bench - 176lbs
    squat - 210lbs
    deadlift - 276lbs

What would you guys believe to be a realistic time line for me to reach the following goals..

Weight from 160 - 200lbs

And to increase all my lifts by 50lbs

The routine im looking at is below:

Monday

Bench Press 3x5
    Incline Flyes 3x5
    Squats 3x5
    Military Press 3x5

Wednesday

Deadlift 3x5
    Chin Ups 3xfailure
    Pendlay Rows 3x5
    BB Curls 3x8

Friday

Bench Press 3x5
    Squats 3x5
    Military Press 3x5
    Closegrip Bench Press 3x8

If you could let me know what you fink of the routine then i would apreciate it..

Also, when it comes to warm up sets how should i go about it. For this routine im going to be using the same weight for all of the working sets. Then increasing each week when i complete the sets without failure..

Should i be doing say 2 sets of very small weight? or 3 or 4 sets and increasing it closer to my working weight?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    anyone offer any advice please?

Its push dominant and upper dominant. Fix that.
    Sarvamangalam!

That routine is terrible. Keep Monday like it is, but remove squats. Add dips or the like. Make Friday Leg Day. Do squats, stiff legged deadlifts, leg presses, and another exercise or two you like for legs. This doesn't make your routine the best, but better. I would do one of the WBB routines or find one online that you like. Your legs have tremendous potential to put on muscle, and to reach your goals you need to focus on building the largest muscles in your body. Not to mention there's tons of research to support squats increasing overall body size.

Quote Originally Posted by Hercule View Post
    That routine is terrible. Keep Monday like it is, but remove squats. Add dips or the like. Make Friday Leg Day. Do squats, stiff legged deadlifts, leg presses, and another exercise or two you like for legs. This doesn't make your routine the best, but better. I would do one of the WBB routines or find one online that you like. Your legs have tremendous potential to put on muscle, and to reach your goals you need to focus on building the largest muscles in your body. Not to mention there's tons of research to support squats increasing overall body size.
    Good stuff but Id skip the WBB splits. Most have an "arm/shoulder" day which seems to be a waste. At 5'11 160 the OP could benefit better, I think, from a split like Rippetoes.
    Sarvamangalam!

I think it will take about 6 months to meet those goals if you are committed and new to this. I think that is decent routine, I assume your next day would be the deadlift etc day. I would suggest 5x5 on squats, doing DB Presses instead of or before you do DB Flyes, and you're good to go.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    Its push dominant and upper dominant. Fix that.
    What would you suggest would be a good thing to change? I put squats on both monday and friday to giv my legs a workout as i thought squats would cover legs, aswell as the deadlifts hitting my ham's..

If anyone could tweak the workout i would appreciate it. Looking to start this routine next monday. I've started to realise the routine im currently doing is causing me to overtrain.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by smokseysmoke View Post
    Hey

I've been working out now for about 9 months. Im 5'11 and about 160lbs. Im looking to gain size and was hoping on some adivce for my workout. When i started 9 months ago i was 130lbs. I feel like i could have put on another 20lbs by now, but i need to focus on my diet a lot more and stick to it. Increasing my apetite is very hard.

(See bolded phrases above)

Bench - 176lbs
    squat - 210lbs
    deadlift - 276lbs

What would you guys believe to be a realistic time line for me to reach the following goals..

Weight from 160 - 200lbs

And to increase all my lifts by 50lbs

A realistic time line? There is really none. It all depends on how hard you train and how consistant you are with it plus diet and rest. Assuming that you train hard and eat and rest enough to put on quality mass, I'd say anywhere from 1-2 years from now (assuming average genetics) Keep in mind that BB is not exactly a linear progression and gains come slower as one becomes more advanced.

The routine im looking at is below:

Monday

Bench Press 3x5
    Incline Flyes 3x5**
    Squats 3x5
    Military Press 3x5**

Wednesday

Deadlift 3x5
    Chin Ups 3xfailure
    Pendlay Rows 3x5**
    BB Curls 3x8

Friday

Bench Press 3x5
    Squats 3x5
    Military Press 3x5
    Closegrip Bench Press 3x8**

**=delete this exercise

If you could let me know what you fink of the routine then i would apreciate it..

Also, when it comes to warm up sets how should i go about it. For this routine im going to be using the same weight for all of the working sets. Then increasing each week when i complete the sets without failure..

Warm up sets can be done with say 30%, 50% and 70% of your workout weight...I wouldn't do any more than 3.

Should i be doing say 2 sets of very small weight? or 3 or 4 sets and increasing it closer to my working weight?
    I'd do 4-5 work sets and stay at a weight that I could get at least 6 reps with, but no more than 10.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 11-19-2008 at 02:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by smokseysmoke View Post

Bench - 176lbs
    squat - 210lbs
    deadlift - 276lbs

This is just a suggestion!

Monday

Squats 3x5
    Bench Press 3x5
    Cleans 3x5
    SLDL 3x6-8

Wednesday

Deadlift 3x5
    Front Squats 3x6-8
    OH Press 3x5
    BB Curls 3x8 (sure! why not)

Friday

Bench Press - work up to triple (set new PR)
    Squats - work up to triple (set new PR)
    BB Rows - 3x5
    Dips - 3x6-8 (weighted if you can)
    Just make sure you are progressing every week and adding weight to the lifts!
    Last edited by -JM-; 11-19-2008 at 08:35 AM. Reason: sp
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw