Thread: wannabebig routine 1 vs starting strength

wannabebig routine 1 vs starting strength

im to my 3rd week of starting strength and im starting to come to a roadblock with my gains. A regular at the gym I attend, approached me and said that my routine was a little to much for someone my size and that 5 reps are usually for the big power lifters. he also told me that I should not be doing squats 3 times a week because thats nowhere near enough resting time and that i should do leg workout once a week. of course he saw that there was no direct arm work and said i should do curls and more direct arm work even though i told him the program was made for compound lifts. im not saying that I totally agree or not with him but what is your input on the stuff hes telling me. bs or not?

should i switch up to the wannabebig routine or should i stick with starting strength for a little bit longer?

height: 6'3

weight: 175

short term goal: 200

Long term goal: Lean 225

That guy is an idiot. You should punch him.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

If I did squats/legs 3x per week I'd burn out really really quick, once a week is fine for me

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    The idea behind the routine (SS) is to increase your strength. The routine can easily be used as a stepping stone to other more specified training plans (BB, PL, OL, etc). By squatting three times a week and doing all the other exercises 1-2 times a week, you're increasing the likelihood that you'll get stronger doing those lifts.

If you want a body building routine maybe you should consider one of the pre-made ones. If you want to increase your strength, continue SS and do it as prescribed in the book. Three weeks isn't giving any routine justice in my book, regardless if you "think" you aren't making gains. My 2 cts.

Quote Originally Posted by bass slayer View Post
    im to my 3rd week of starting strength and im starting to come to a roadblock with my gains. A regular at the gym I attend, approached me and said that my routine was a little to much for someone my size and that 5 reps are usually for the big power lifters. he also told me that I should not be doing squats 3 times a week because thats nowhere near enough resting time and that i should do leg workout once a week. of course he saw that there was no direct arm work and said i should do curls and more direct arm work even though i told him the program was made for compound lifts. im not saying that I totally agree or not with him but what is your input on the stuff hes telling me. bs or not?

should i switch up to the wannabebig routine or should i stick with starting strength for a little bit longer?
    I've bolded the misinformation. Whether you want to do more direct arm work is up to you. SS is superior to WBB1 if you want to get stronger. Period.

Also, you shouldn't be stalling after three weeks on the program. Keep pushing yourself and I think you'll be surprised by what you can do.

thanks for the responses! ill continue with starting strength and see where it takes me.

height: 6'3

weight: 175

short term goal: 200

Long term goal: Lean 225

That guy is a dumbass. Tell him I said so.
    Sarvamangalam!

Wow, it sounds like that guy doesn't have the training experience he thinks he does.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

You should check out some of the journals of other newbes. I have been doing ss for 4 weeks now. No where near stalling on anything as of yet. Everybody looks at me like I am crazy when I squat three days but hey it is working. Today I am at 285 3 x 5. I started at 185 3x5
    Check out my journal:
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=117073

Goal To be the Strongest Huggins! - started again on 2/24/11 then again 2/27/12
    squat: 420 405 x 5
    bench: 355 320 x 3
    deadlift: 455 420 x 3
    Total 1215 on a single day

I'm 47 and have been squatting 3 days/week and I'm not crying. Not that anyone mentioned crying.

I thought I was going to hit the wall on bench and military press 2 weeks ago, but I was able to consistently increase by 5 lbs each time. It is truly amazing how food affects this training. If you don't eat you won't go forward. I've also gained about 10 lbs since starting the program 4 weeks ago. I believe some of that is muscle weight, but mostly fat. Oh well, my metabolism isn't what it once was. I can definitely notice that my ass and legs are getting big.

Keep going......

Quote Originally Posted by hug dog View Post
    You should check out some of the journals of other newbes. I have been doing ss for 4 weeks now. No where near stalling on anything as of yet. Everybody looks at me like I am crazy when I squat three days but hey it is working. Today I am at 285 3 x 5. I started at 185 3x5
    That is freaking awesome bro. Keep it up! How are size gains going?
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    That is freaking awesome bro. Keep it up! How are size gains going?
    Huggins was strong before he started.

Starting poundage is vital here. Picking a modest starting weight and working up patiently is the ticket!
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    That guy is an idiot. You should punch him.
    This ^

Beginners can squat max effort 3x/week because the amount of fatigue that is generated is LESS than what can be recovered from in 48 hrs. Once you're squatting MORE weight than you can recover from in a 48 hr. period, that means you're not a beginner.

Countless beginners have squatted 3x/week for months and only gotten stronger.

That dude is a tool.
    Starting Strength Wiki

Best Lifts
    Squat: 350x5
    Mil. Press: 165x5
    Deadlift: 455x1

BW: 177

Quote Originally Posted by hug dog View Post
    I have been doing ss for 4 weeks now. Today I am at 285 3 x 5. I started at 185 3x5
    Strong Strength.
    Starting Strength Wiki

Best Lifts

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    That guy is a dumbass. Tell him I said so.
    hahah.

Guys, how many sets/reps are you doing if you're doing squats 3x per week? How heavy?

Quote Originally Posted by accuFLEX View Post
    Guys, how many sets/reps are you doing if you're doing squats 3x per week? How heavy?
    On Rippetoe's? 5 warm-up sets, ramped (2x5, 1x5, 1x3, 1x2), then 3x5, sets across, add 5# every workout.
    Starting Strength Wiki

Best Lifts