Thread: - the De La Hoya v Pacquiao thread -

Hybrid View

- the De La Hoya v Pacquiao thread -

Not sure if anyone around here follows boxing much. Ive been into it for a about 6 years now. Actually have a good friend who is a Commissioner in Vegas so I went to quite a few fights while I lived there.

Anybody following this fight and have any thoughts? Both fantastic fighters so Im hoping for a great fight.

Discuss...
    - Slave & Master At The Same Damn Time -
    Hoping To Compete Natty Early 2011

Wannabebig Member
    mismatch. if Hoya dosent KO Pacman its gonna be a blemish on his record. Infact, many already consider it a blemish. Yes Shane Mosely was able to jump two weight classes to beat Hoya, but Mosely also didnt start his career at like 105.

Despite all that, Pac does always come to fight so it should be entertaining for as long as it lasts.

De La Hoya has only fought about 3 fights since 2006. The Pac Man has fought at least 6 fights since 2006. De La Hoya has been losing fights in the past few years. The Pac Man has fought some really respectable fighters and hasn't lost in a long time. De La Hoya's time is up.

Go PAC MAN!

Wannabebig Member
    too great of a size difference tho. Hoya is no pushover, even tho he is past his prime. Hoya has taken shots from guys like Varas, Mayorga, Hopkins, and Trinidad. Pacquio's shots will have little effect. Atleast not any single shot. The best Pacman can hope for is for Hoya to gas out in the later stages of the fight and then really pour it on, and although it has been typical for Hoya to gas out in the championship rounds, he did fight a hard full 12 roads in his last fight so maybe he has his conditioning in order now. You also cant ignore the fact that one solid left hook from Hoya is all it will take to end Pacman's night early.

If Marquez can stun and wobble Pacman several times, what do you think the much bigger, stronger DLH can do?
    Last edited by XavierHollywood; 11-25-2008 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierHollywood View Post

If Marquez can stun and wobble Pacman several times, what do you think the much bigger, stronger DLH can do?
    Great point. Guess we will see how good DLH is at taking advantage of open opportunities in the fight. I wouldnt go so far as to say the fight is his to lose, but if he is prime...

Wannabebig Member
    If Pacman can win this fight it will be one of the biggest upsets in years. If he can win by KO it would be down right legendary. Pacman is a hell of a fighter that loves to stand toe to toe, but god better be with him if he tries that with Hoya. I honestly cant imagine this fight going into the later rounds. I see Hoya winning by stoppage in 5-7 rounds. If Pac losses but still manages to see the final bell I will consider that a victory for him.

HBO is hyping the **** out of this thing. They've got a freakin' series dedicated to it.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd View Post
    HBO is hyping the **** out of this thing. They've got a freakin' series dedicated to it.

They do 24/7 for all the major fights. I think its a fantastically well done show.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Pilot View Post
    They do 24/7 for all the major fights. I think its a fantastically well done show.
    Aha..I just got HBO again for the first time since OZ was in first runs.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Bumpsky. Im definately excited for the fight. The more I think about it, the more I think DLH is going to win by knockout. Man it would be crazy if MP broke him down though. Still, I just hope for a solid fight.

Is there a way to watch the fight online? Even if I have to pay I would be interested. I don't want to pay $50 for PPV, even though I might end up going that route. I would be perfectly content with paying $15 or something and watching it on my computer.

Quote Originally Posted by hellagrant View Post
    Is there a way to watch the fight online? Even if I have to pay I would be interested. I don't want to pay $50 for PPV, even though I might end up going that route. I would be perfectly content with paying $15 or something and watching it on my computer.
    Yeah Im with ya there...but none of my local sports bars are even going to carry it...so its PPV or nada for me At least its high def on my plasma

The first time I seen Oscar fight was against Troy Dorsey who was both a boxer and kickboxer. I knew when I saw that fight De La Hoya was gonna be great. Throughout his career he has both won and lost some of the closest decisions out there and had the luck of fighting some of the best talent out there.

I see him winning this fight and I actually hope he fights Floyd again.

And as far as watching for free online, there are plenty of ways, sopcast is a popular one.

I tuned in with Sopcast in the 5th round. It was already over by then.
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

Total: 1280lbs 100% raw

The key to my exercise program is this one simple truth: I hate my body.

Wow, that was great a show. I knew Pacman would win but I figured De La Hoya would at least get some rounds. Great fight.

Pacman destroyed him, the most one sided boxing match ive seen in along time.
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Wannabebig Member
    well i was certainly wrong wasnt I hahaha.

Ive never seen Hoya so outclassed before. I mean, it was to the point where I felt he was throwing the fight. He didnt even ATTEMPT to fight back. Wtf was going on!?!? Props to Pacman, but ****, I dunno...it left me with a bad taste in my mouth, and i WANTED Pac to win.

He embarrassed Dela Hoya. Reminds me of Roberto Duran and his infamous "no mas, no mas."
    5' 11" 155lbs. 13% BF - 10/20/2008
    Goal - 180lbs, 10% BF

11/14/08
    162lbs 11-12% BF

12/29/08
    166lbs 10% BF

Quote Originally Posted by Vegetarian View Post
    He embarrassed Dela Hoya. Reminds me of Roberto Duran and his infamous "no mas, no mas."

He sure did, Pacquio was fast though. Yeah, I think De la Hoya is done. After watching the fight, It made me want to get back into boxing (gave it up for weight lifting).

Well, when you step up to someone who is faster and stronger than you AND has a strong fighting spirit ... it tends to take all the fight out of you.

Yes, the weight, age, etc., could have played a role, but I tend to think that he just knew after the 1st round that the fight was lost, and as the fight progressed this fact became clearer and clearer.

Regardless of one, the other or a combination of both ... De La Hoya took it like a Champ and didn't make excuses, I respect him for that.
    5' 11" 155lbs. 13% BF - 10/20/2008
    Goal - 180lbs, 10% BF

11/14/08
    162lbs 11-12% BF

12/29/08
    166lbs 10% BF