Thread: Tom Mutaffis Strongman Training *Video

Tom Mutaffis Strongman Training *Video

Tom recently sent me this footage of him doing some awesome work in preparation for a couple contests he has comming up in the near future.

Video

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Banned
    Nice work Tom - quit f'in around with your wraps and straps and just go though man!!!

One word....

HARDCORE

I laughed at 1:20 into the video, curls in the squat rack...with a belt too...
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Wannabebig Member Josefin Brander's Avatar
    Coooool!

Great work!

...holy ***** thats awesome

Quote Originally Posted by View 1 View Post

I laughed at 1:20 into the video, curls in the squat rack...with a belt too...
    Haha, that's funny how you noticed that.

That training is pretty bada** man. Strongman stuff is no joke.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Thanks everyone.

Haha I know Ben - my right wrist is banged up so I needed the wraps, but you are right that it takes too much time.

There was actually a different guy doing some curling in the squat rack next to me on the first set as well! That gym is good though because they don't bother me and let me do whatever I want in that corner.
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 11-25-2008 at 07:20 AM.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Thanks everyone.

Haha I know Ben - my right wrist is banged up so I needed the wraps, but you are right that it takes too much time.

There was actually a different guy doing some curling in the squat rack next to me on the first set as well! That gym is good though because they don't bother me and let me do whatever I want in that corner.
    Explain to me why you grabbed those 145's off the floor like they were 45's??? LOL!
    Thats some Awesome training and you obviously got some sick endurance.
    Last edited by evilxxx; 11-25-2008 at 01:00 PM.
    Current Stats:
    5'8" @ 204lbs

2013 Goals (single ply):
    1700lbs total

Thats some sick work bro.Your endurance is crazy .

Very strong on the dumbbell presses Tom!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by evilxxx View Post
    Explain to me why you grabbed those 145's off the floor like they were 45's??? LOL!
    Thats some Awesome training and you obviously got some sick endurance.
    I was thinking the same thing... The way he picked them up, I thought there was NO WAY they were 145. I paused it and counted the plates.

Tom, you are insane.
    5'8" 177 (meet PRs) ALL RAW

Bench - 290 (291) Pause reps Dead - 500 (479.5) Squat - 446 (430)

Total - 1236 (1168.4)

Goals: Bench - 280 met 1/19/09 new goal - 300 Squat - 435 met 11/28/09 new goal 475 Dead - 500 met 1/23/10 new goal 525

The Quest

I wonder if someone is bi%^ching on another site about somebody doing some weird workout and curling in his squat rack whe he wanted to squat

In seriousness, it looks like you do a bunch of related movements one after another. How often do you do that? How do you pick the exercises to do in the "chain"? Thanks.

Very Impressive Great work!

Wannabebig Member
    I'm going to try that platform to ground to rack deadlift meledy next time I train, that looks fun.

Tom, it occurs to me that our members might like to know more about your volume for the workout displayed here. In other words, how many of those giant sets or circuits did you do? How many working sets per body part do you do in general?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Painzer View Post
    I was thinking the same thing... The way he picked them up, I thought there was NO WAY they were 145. I paused it and counted the plates. Tom, you are insane.
    Thanks Painzer... believe me they don't feel light when I have to put them all away at the end of the workout! There is a gym down here that has 170's and that is the biggest I have ever used - hit them on flat for a tripple at about 205 lbs bodyweight.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffsherman View Post
    I wonder if someone is bi%^ching on another site about somebody doing some weird workout and curling in his squat rack whe he wanted to squat
    In seriousness, it looks like you do a bunch of related movements one after another. How often do you do that? How do you pick the exercises to do in the "chain"? Thanks.
    There is a reason for this, and I do these "complexes" about twice per week in the gym. Generally one day of lower body complexes, one day of upper body complexes, and one accessory day. For this training I knew that my gym training would be limited to kept the volume low and did one working set for deadlifts and one for upper body.

Here is how I picked the movements:
    - Choose one "strict" movement for each muscle group and then another more compound movement where other muscles can be involved and you can use a little more explosiveness or momentum to complete the lift.
    - For this particular training I stated heavy strict, went to light explosive, then heavy explosive, then light strict.
    - Pick one part of the movement to really push your limit. For this training it was pressing, you will see that both of the back movements were not very challenging for me and were more just to build conditioning and involve more muscle groups.

Quote Originally Posted by TJM View Post
    I'm going to try that platform to ground to rack deadlift meledy next time I train, that looks fun.
    That was my first time really doing deficit deadlifts and I have a deadlift medley in my next contest so figured it would be a good idea. I really liked the movement and will be including it in my training from now on. You figure that if you can hit the deficit pull then you should definitely be able to get another rep from the floor once you reset.

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Tom, it occurs to me that our members might like to know more about your volume for the workout displayed here. In other words, how many of those giant sets or circuits did you do? How many working sets per body part do you do in general? Chris
    Great question Chris. I did touch on this in my answer above, but for those looking to set up a routine like this volume limitations are very important as to not overtrain or risk injury.

There are two ways that I will include complexes.
    A. Work with lighter warmup sets with decreasing rep range up to a maximal effort lift as the begining of a complex. (similar to what was done in the video)
    B. Do regular training up to a max effort, 3x3, or progressive singles, and then follow that with a light complex. For example:
    Trap Bar Deadlifts - 525 lbs x 3, 575 lbs x 3, 615 lbs x 2, 665 lbs x 1, 705 lbs x 1
    After this set up a complex: trap bar deadlift 525 lbs x 5, front squat 225 lbs x 5, Wide Grip Chins BW+25 x 5, Chins BW x 5 -> then run through this for 3 sets, potentially doing a few more reps with each movement on the final set.
    *If I am doing a max effort complex then I will not run through it multiple times.

This is not just some looney concept that I came up with out of nowhere. After years of various powerlifting and bodybuilding training programs I realized that my body would respond best to heavy weights, but I could also gain muscle size and endurance by doing these drops sets or complexes. When I began training for strongman this was a perfect method since it allows you to build maximal effort strength but also have the muscular endurance to continue to push yourself for 60 seconds, or to potentially perform more than one repetition of something at that near maximal effort. I have also been able to maintain a relatively muscluar physique when training in the gym just 2-3 times per week, plus it is fun and a great way to really push yourself.

Complexes have become a staple training tool for a lot of top level strongmen and I really like them, though I would not suggest this to a new trainee as a core principal for their program - but maybe just something to shock the muscles once in a while. Alternating between a 5x5 and some kind of medley or complex could be a great way to spark new growth and strength!

If anyone would like any more detailed information just let me know.

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Impressive
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

If anyone would like any more detailed information just let me know.
    I would be very curious. Most people like me go to commercial gyms and dont have accesses to gym's that are geared towards powerlifting/strongman. Ive used complexes before but not in the sense that you use them. I would really like to know more about how you set it all up.

And thanks for taking the time and posting all this for everyone here to learn from.
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Insane workout...that was awesome.
    Last edited by mosley1990; 11-27-2008 at 03:29 PM.
    750/425/625/1800 at SPF Georgia State meet on 8/07/10
    Started Powerlifting: September 08
    Phillipians 4:13
    Pslams 23:4

Quote Originally Posted by View 1 View Post
    I would be very curious. Most people like me go to commercial gyms and dont have accesses to gym's that are geared towards powerlifting/strongman. Ive used complexes before but not in the sense that you use them. I would really like to know more about how you set it all up.

And thanks for taking the time and posting all this for everyone here to learn from.
    For set up I assume you are talking about loading the weights for all of the movements and having everything in line for the complexes. Generally what I will do is try to pick things that can all be done in a relatively close area (squat rack and power rack are normally where I end up). You can bring over a bench or dumbells, and set up multiple barbells for different movements. Normally I am in the gym fairly late in the evening, around 7:30-9:00 PM and so most of the after work rush is gone. To keep people from interrupting my training I leave wrist wraps, belts, hats, anything on the equipment that I am using.

Not every gym will be OK with what you are doing, but you can always find movements that they do allow and if you approach it the right way you would be surprised how flexible they can be. Generally franchises are better - I was asked to leave LA fitness for doing push jerks and dropping dumbells but Gold's only asked me to leave when I was doing 600 lbs deadlifts for reps. Both were at gyms loaded with bodybuilder types and no one who really moves any weight. I found a Gold's that allows me to do whatever I want, even wearing suits and using chalk as long as there isn't a huge mess.

What area do you live in? I can ask around to see if any friends might be able to suggest a gym.

For set up I assume you are talking about loading the weights for all of the movements and having everything in line for the complexes. Generally what I will do is try to pick things that can all be done in a relatively close area (squat rack and power rack are normally where I end up). You can bring over a bench or dumbells, and set up multiple barbells for different movements. Normally I am in the gym fairly late in the evening, around 7:30-9:00 PM and so most of the after work rush is gone. To keep people from interrupting my training I leave wrist wraps, belts, hats, anything on the equipment that I am using.

Not every gym will be OK with what you are doing, but you can always find movements that they do allow and if you approach it the right way you would be surprised how flexible they can be. Generally franchises are better - I was asked to leave LA fitness for doing push jerks and dropping dumbells but Gold's only asked me to leave when I was doing 600 lbs deadlifts for reps. Both were at gyms loaded with bodybuilder types and no one who really moves any weight. I found a Gold's that allows me to do whatever I want, even wearing suits and using chalk as long as there isn't a huge mess.

What area do you live in? I can ask around to see if any friends might be able to suggest a gym.
    Thanks for all the information first. I workout at a local chain here in northern cali, I useally go later just as you do and for the same reasons. Ive done complexes before but didnt go to heavy, I used them mostly for conditioning purposes. Even though I go to a health club, there really cool about things, I deadlift and squat in my socks, and Ive never had a trainer or the manager say anything to me ( and they have all seen me do it ) so setting up to do complexes like you suggested wouldn't be a problem. There is a local powerlifter ( mike womack ) that has a gym here, but his gym is closed by the time I get out of work, and while I would love to work out there, I would almost never be able to get there during their working hours. Right now I do full body routines, almost all compound movements and heavy, as I am on a cut and am just trying to maintain my muscle, not to worried about gaining ( even though I am still making small gains ) but I am very interested in this style of training. One thing that I realized is that if you want to be bigger you have to be stronger. So once my cut is done or I start to stall then this is something I will be doing ( and I know its going to be brutal in a good way ). Again thanks for all the information and even trying to find someone in the local area.