Thread: barefoot squatting?

The Big Sac

barefoot squatting?

I have very wide feet, and I have never found comfortable shoes. My feet literally stretch out shoes and then they fit loosely no matter how tight I tie them.

I know some people here deadlift and squat barefooted, for those that do: Is it out of comfort? Or is there any advantage to it? Does your gym give you any **** about taking your shoes off?

Anyways, I've never tried it, but I was considering it. Didn't know if there was any real advantage to why people do it, or if it's just a comfort thing.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

273 lbs.

Dallas, TX
    If you like squatting on flat heels then go for it.

I thought the same and posted a question like this not too long ago. My foot is at least a 3D I'd say.... I fit in chucks no problem, go to the shoe store and try it out, you'd be in for a big surprise.

Wannabebig Member
    I use to squat barefoot for awhile. I felt like it gave me more stability, just dont make the mistake I did by wearing black socks. Black socks dont absorb sweat nearly as good as white socks and thus making it very slippery.

So. Cal.
    I've never tried barefoot. I've got 2D feet. I bought a pair of squat shoes that are wide enough. That was the ticket.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

I always do, just like it better, especially for deads. I workout at home so I don't know about the gym being a problem.

Long Beach, CA
    I do all my lifting either barefoot, in flip-flops, or in Nike Frees. I'm on a 3/4 in. solid rubber surface and haven't had any issues. There's plenty of photos of Arnold and others squatting barefoot.

It is currently a fad, at this writing, for boys to think they need a "six pack", although most of them don't have an ice chest to put it in.
    -Mark Rippetoe

my whole workout is with just socks, overall as little cloths as possible makes sence to me for working out, I have the stuff at home though.

+1 for squatting and deadlifting with no shoes on

Ever since I took shoes off, my squat form has dramatically imporved. Also I am not afraid of losing balance as I squat.