The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Rest between sets

Does rest period between sets make any significant difference in getting big?
    Is it better to make it as short as possible or is it better to wait a minute or two?

I normally rest anywhere between 30 to 60 seconds.

Thanks.
    5' 11" 155lbs. 13% BF - 10/20/2008
    Goal - 180lbs, 10% BF

11/14/08
    162lbs 11-12% BF

12/29/08
    166lbs 10% BF

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

30 to 60 seconds is fine. make sure its not too short that your risking fainting or anything, like doing a set of 10 squats, then resting your 30 seconds and going again even if you feel like you need more. wait as much as you need. just don't wait over probably 3 minutes for big lifts.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

remember you gain muscle out side of the gym any way. you dont want wear yourself out so you cant finish your sets and therefore you should not rush yourself. take the amount of time that you require in between sets

height: 6'3

weight: 175

short term goal: 200

Long term goal: Lean 225

Set the mood right
    I usually give myself a song's rest inbetween sets.
    Summer 2009

Height: 6'0
    Weight: 195

B: 335
    S: 340
    D: 495

My rest is usually around 5 minutes. If I'm squatting/deadlifting, then +10 minutes.

5-10 minutes, depending on how I feel, how many reps I'm doing, and what exercise I'm doing.

ah well i see now. i said 3 minutes because i thought my 5-6 was way too much. in that case, i guess go along with what everyone else is sayin!
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Banned
    For me, it depends if I'm doing a DE or ME session. I try to keep rest between sets for DE work short, under a minute ( unless I'm talking to my workout buddy ). But for ME sessions I take as long as I feel my body needs to be able to lift the most weight possible.

For my big compound lifts I wait 5 minutes, if I still feel dead I wait another minute. My other isolation exercises I'll wait 3 minutes.
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

Total: 1280lbs 100% raw

The key to my exercise program is this one simple truth: I hate my body.

Wow, anywhere from 3-10 minutes. I usually wait a max of 3 minutes for the big lifts cause I was under the impression any longer than that for some reason wasn't good. I think I will try waiting a little longer next time and see how that affects me. Good info, I learn something new everyday
    If your shins ain't bleeding then it's not a Dead Lift

Stats:
    Start Wt - 138
    Current Wt - 160
    Height - 6'-1"
    My Journal (Pics: Post# 11,17,88,165)
    Hard Gainers Meal Menu
    Progress Pics

small flabby and hairy joelhall's Avatar
    i time it old-school using my pulse instead of a clock. ill take it immediately after and when its dropped enough i do my next set. usually takes around 2-3 minutes at most, depending how hard im training. for instance doing rows it can get up to 156 on a hard day. once its dropped around 20-30bpm its on to the next set.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallOx View Post
    For me, it depends if I'm doing a DE or ME session. I try to keep rest between sets for DE work short, under a minute ( unless I'm talking to my workout buddy ). But for ME sessions I take as long as I feel my body needs to be able to lift the most weight possible.
    Ditto.

If you're going for PRs or going near that, then more rest is required.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Quote Originally Posted by Vegetarian View Post
    Does rest period between sets make any significant difference in getting big?

Is it better to make it as short as possible or is it better to wait a minute or two?

I normally rest anywhere between 30 to 60 seconds.

Thanks.
    Vegetarian,

Yes, rest periods between sets makes a difference, as follows.

1) 30-60 Seconds for Strength Endurance or Metabolic Training.
    2) 2 Minues for Hypertrophy/Bodybuilding.
    3) 3 Minutes Plus for Limit Strength, Power and Speed Training.

Kenny Croxdale

Quote Originally Posted by T FLEX View Post
    Wow, anywhere from 3-10 minutes. I usually wait a max of 3 minutes for the big lifts cause I was under the impression any longer than that for some reason wasn't good. I think I will try waiting a little longer next time and see how that affects me. Good info, I learn something new everyday
    T Flex,

You should take 3 mintues or longer between sets for strength training. Paul Anderson would take up to 10 mintues between some sets.

Part of the length of recovery has to do with your ATP-CP System. Research shows that 50% of your recover occurs in 30 seconds. Thus, those who take very short rest periods are not fully maximizing the strength, power or speed potential.

Full restoration of your APT-CP System take 3 minutes plus. By allowing full restoration, you produce your greatest strength, power and speed output.

Kenny Croxdale
    Last edited by Kenny Croxdale; 11-26-2008 at 09:50 AM.

I usually take 2-3 minutes in between sets. My reps come way easier that way.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...er%27s+journal

The link is my journal. I am a 21 year old bodybuilder. Currently dieting down for my first show.

For strength/size, it is best to wait 3-5 minutes between sets, as you should be able to repeat or almost repeat the previous set. ATP needs about 3 minutes to restore to 100%, as long as you don't have a big drop off in strength set/set you're good.

This makes sense to me...

Between set recovery lasts at least 2 to 3 minutes for me. Muscles need to recover their intra-cellular energy stores and flush out any lactate that's hanging around from the previous set in order to restore its anaerobic capacity. Now between set recovery will vary between individuals. Some people just recover much faster than others. What you want to strive for is recovery that will allow you to lift the maximum amount of weight for your next set. For some this is 90 seconds, for others it's 3 minutes - sometimes even longer.

It's important to be fully recovered before your next set because your ability to maximize the overload on the muscle will directly reflect in the muscle growth it produces.

This critical between set recovery phase is exactly why I don't incorporate "super-sets", "pre-exhaustion", or other fatigue inducing techniques. Fatigue does not build muscle - overload builds muscle. Fatigue simply fatigues. Once a muscle is fatigued it can't be properly overloaded.

Most all lifters confuse fatigue with overload. This will take some logical thinking on your part to separate the two - again because of all the miss-information published in the magazines. Things like "feel the burn" are not what building muscle is about.

Thanks Kenny and everyone else, lots of good info!
    5' 11" 155lbs. 13% BF - 10/20/2008
    Goal - 180lbs, 10% BF

11/14/08
    162lbs 11-12% BF

12/29/08
    166lbs 10% BF

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTallOx View Post
    Amen

I usually take 2-3 minutes between sets but last night I worked out with my friend from home who is a believer in less rest the better. He believes that the more time you rest, the more your muscles become fatigue and therefore making your body do less weight. I do not know if that is true or not but during this workout I was lightheaded a few times which made me feel like crap.
    Learn the principle, abide by the principle, and dissolve the principle. In short, enter a mold without being caged in it. Obey the principle without being bound by it. LEARN, MASTER AND ACHIEVE!!! - Bruce Lee

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=118182

Bench- 225x2
    Squat- 235x5

[QUOTE=12u$$eLL-;2045509]I usually take 2-3 minutes between sets but last night I worked out with my friend from home who is a believer in less rest the better. He believes that the more time you rest, the more your muscles become fatigue and therefore making your body do less weight.QUOTE]

Less rest is better if you are training for strength endurance or wanting to elevate your metabolism.

However, if short rest periods are not effective if you are training for strength, power or speed. Short rest periods do not allow for full recovery. That means with short rest periods, you are a bit weaker and produce less power and speed.

Kenny Croxdale

squats- 5-6 min
    DL- 5-6 min
    bench- 3 min
    curls and all that kinda stuff- 30 secs
    Lifting is my life

I am 15
    @ 155 lbs