The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

How often should one use knee wraps?

I use them all the time. I wear them VERY loosely at the start to prevent knee pains and tighten them when I get heavier. Should I only use them when I'm around 85% of my max or so? Or only when I am going for a one rep max?I'm curious about your input.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    I only wear them when I'm at my max or going for a PR, and sometimes not even then. I figure if I can squat a given weight without them, then when the meet comes around, that weight with knee wraps will be simple. But up to now I squat raw, maybe that will change when I start using my squat suit.

I would say use them with weight you only gonna go at 3-4 Reps, you dont wanna go over 6 reps and loose the feeling in your toes...
    Current Stats:
    5'8" @ 204lbs

2013 Goals (single ply):
    1700lbs total

Also...when my max was 655 i used to wear them on squats over 500.
    Current Stats:
    5'8" @ 204lbs

2013 Goals (single ply):
    1700lbs total

Banned
    last set, sometimes last 2 sets (of singles)

Into the night.
    Depends what you're using them for - support or assistance. Basically, the rule of thumb (according to Rippetoe) is that if they're lose enough to keep on the whole workout without losing circulation/being uncomfortable then you're probably wearing them for support. They give your knees a bit more structure and the fact that they're wrapped will keep them warm which helps as well. If they're so tight you're getting that springiness to your knees, then it's assistance and you should really only wear them for your ME reps. If you plan on competing in power meets then I'd say, sure, get used to them for the last set or two of 1RMs. If you don't plan on competing in any power meets, I'd say don't use 'em in an assistance role at all - what's the point?

Work in Progress
    I feel like I'm not at a nearly heavy enough squat to even consider them. Speaking of, ME squat day tomorrow, wish me luck.
    6'1" 250 lbs

310 Bench
    385 Squat
    460 Deadlift

1155 Total (raw)

hardly ever.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

I wrap for a meet, in the week or two leading up to a meet, or if I just feel like it. I don't make it a habit to wrap my knees.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    I wrap for a meet, in the week or two leading up to a meet, or if I just feel like it. I don't make it a habit to wrap my knees.
    I never used wraps as of now, how does it impact the squat ? is it long to get accustomed to it ?
    "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends"

John 15:13 KJB

"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men. Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers. Pray for powers equal to your tasks"

Philips Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by EatMyWay2TheTop View Post
    I never used wraps as of now, how does it impact the squat ? is it long to get accustomed to it ?
    Depends on the wrap and how tight you wrap. If you wrap them tightly you can add a few pounds to your squat. It takes a little time to get used to it, don't expect it to be comfortable.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Banned
    Never - hate wraps

I rarely use mine. Sometimes if I am close to my max I may put them on pretty loosely, but I don't think I've ever cranked down on them. I do like the extra support they provide when going heavier.

It's the most uncomfortable thing ever hahah.

I use them for support unless I go heavy. They are indeed loose enough that they don't cut off circulation. I will try not using them and see if my paterllar tendinitis comes back.
    Szust my squat with my wraps are about as much as you squat. Really if you plan on competing the earlier the better. It's good to get use to it.
    It took me about 4-5 squat sessions to understand them. At first it was VERY odd and I came up on my toes a lot easier. I had to learn to lean in to the wraps.

As well... I bought 2m wraps but now they are longer because of repeated use. Will they still be allowed by the IPF?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post

I use them for support unless I go heavy. They are indeed loose enough that they don't cut off circulation. I will try not using them and see if my paterllar tendinitis comes back.
    Szust my squat with my wraps are about as much as you squat. Really if you plan on competing the earlier the better. It's good to get use to it.
    It took me about 4-5 squat sessions to understand them. At first it was VERY odd and I came up on my toes a lot easier. I had to learn to lean in to the wraps.

As well... I bought 2m wraps but now they are longer because of repeated use. Will they still be allowed by the IPF?
    I have heard washing them and spin drying them brings them a bit tighter again.

I felt i wasn't getting enough lbs out of knee wraps so I have increased my use with them. I wrap them about 90% tight (which is still pretty damn tight) almost all squat sessions. I feel after starting this I am actually getting more lbs out of the wrap. I just wrap them myself so its not to big of a pain in the ass.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

As far as I know there is only an official equipment check at Nationals in Canada. Most local meets its kind of an honor system and if they catch it then they will say something to you.

At a local meet, I wouldn't even worry about wraps that got stretched out... No one will care or check... However, if you lift at Nationals, they will measure them and cut off anything over 2m.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Quote Originally Posted by deeder View Post
    As far as I know there is only an official equipment check at Nationals in Canada. Most local meets its kind of an honor system and if they catch it then they will say something to you.

At a local meet, I wouldn't even worry about wraps that got stretched out... No one will care or check... However, if you lift at Nationals, they will measure them and cut off anything over 2m.
    Hahah they will actually take scissors to your knee wraps?

Hahah they will actually take scissors to your knee wraps?
    Yup.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

What I like to do is throw on knee sleeves during my warm ups then wrap up on my last 3 working sets.

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtteg_x View Post
    What I like to do is throw on knee sleeves during my warm ups then wrap up on my last 3 working sets.
    What kind of sleeves? Do you leave them on and wrap over them?
    Thanks,
    Sd

i use APT knee sleeves. couldnt remember what there called but they are red with black striping. i take them off when im ready to throw the wraps on.