The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Banned

Hello, new to powerlifitng

Hello, i would like to compete some day in a powerlifting event. I would like to know what kind of training or program i should use to get as strong as possible.

Here are my stats:

Age, height weight: 20, 5'10'', 176 lbs.
    training history: 4 years weight training, done Max-ot, madcows 5x5 and some WS4SB.
    Bench max: 205 lbs
    squat max: 295 lbs
    Deadlift max: 355 lbs

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Being new to powerlifting and weight training in general, my advice is to find a group of powerlifters and train with them. That is what I did, and in 2 months I put 30lbs on my squat, 20 on my bench, and 65 on my deadlift. The difference between training alone and training with guys who know what they are doing is unreal.
    Currently: 6'3", 220#, 295/235/430

Goals (for now): 230#, 355/260/445

Some time in the distant future: 275#, 750/500/750

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosnar View Post
    Being new to powerlifting and weight training in general, my advice is to find a group of powerlifters and train with them. That is what I did, and in 2 months I put 30lbs on my squat, 20 on my bench, and 65 on my deadlift. The difference between training alone and training with guys who know what they are doing is unreal.
    Theres a big problem with that. There are no gyms nearby that have powerlifters.

Banned
    Where do you live?

Quote Originally Posted by Phenom01 View Post
    Hello, i would like to compete some day in a powerlifting event. I would like to know what kind of training or program i should use to get as strong as possible.

Here are my stats:

wow thats crazy I am exactly the same age, height, and weight (176.7) to be exact..
    Learn the principle, abide by the principle, and dissolve the principle. In short, enter a mold without being caged in it. Obey the principle without being bound by it. LEARN, MASTER AND ACHIEVE!!! - Bruce Lee

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=118182

Bench- 225x2
    Squat- 235x5

Theres a big problem with that. There are no gyms nearby that have powerlifters.
    I would check Powerliftingwatch for gyms near you. If there aren't any, then I would google powerlifting and your area's name you might find something. Before I moved to Arkansas, I had a powerlifting gym which made a huge difference. Now I don't have access to that type of gym and am lucky that I was able to lock my form down before I moved because I have found a huge difference. If you can't find anything, then I would invest in a video camera and from time to time, take videos of your lifts and post them here for feedback.

Wannabebig Member
    dont let the fact that there is no one who can powerlift with you stop you,you just have to get creative.if you have a gym with a powerrack get some chain and set the loop at the bottom to be where you would be at the bottom of your squat so if youcan not get back up on you last rep or whatever you can let the bar fall on the chain to catch it then simply walk away unharmed,for deads you dont need a partner just some nose torque and a desire to do it,bench is more difficult to do alone but what gym doesnt have a bench?there will always be someone around to help you bench just ask around.you need to just say how bad do i want it and get off your ass and do it,you will find that powerlifters are different than bodybuilders,less ego,more willingness to help but powerlifters also hate excuses so if they find you coming up with reasons not to lift,not giving it your all they will not help but if you put effort in it they are some of the best guys in the world

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    Where do you live?
    manhattan NY

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    Where do you live?
    Manhattab NY. I used that powerlifitng watch website but the gyms are very far away from me. The gym i currently go to is gladiators on columbia st. It has all the stuff i need but there are no powerlifters nor big guys there.

UPA Lousiana Chairman Eric Downey's Avatar
    find a new gym bro
    CLASH FOR CASH RAW504 SEPT. 11, 2010 KENNER, LA CLICK FOR INFO
    Eric "BIG EZY" Downey
    RAW BENCH BEST: 523 Raw Unity 2010
    RAW UNITY VID
    RAW TOTAL BEST:534.5 - 507 - 556.5 1598 APA Raw Nationals 2010
    534 SQUAT
    507 BENCH
    556 DEADLIFT
    Facebook YOUTUBE

how far away? even if you just made the trip once a week, it could make a big difference in your training.
    Currently: 6'3", 220#, 295/235/430

Goals (for now): 230#, 355/260/445

Some time in the distant future: 275#, 750/500/750

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    If you are serious about it, you will travel. There are powerlifting teams on Long Island, in Queens and I know some guys who compete who live in NYC. You really have to search the powerlifting websites and ask if there is anyone in your area to lift with.

We are running a powerlifting meet in Eastern LI on December 6th. We have people coming out from NYC and Jersey to come lift.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

manhattan NY
    You'll find something there for sure. It will pay more than you will ever know to find a group of experienced lifters. I train by myself because I have no other choice but Im 100% sure I'll be more advanced if I had knowledgeable training partners. And I'll suire as hell make the trip to USA one day to train for some time with strong lifters. Go get some training partners.
    "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends"

John 15:13 KJB

"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men. Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers. Pray for powers equal to your tasks"

Philips Brooks

I've tried just about every routine over the years and I have found that you have to change it up from time to time. What has always worked best for me, in the bench press at least, is low reps and heavy weight....typically 3-5 reps with ocasional paused reps...sometimes really long pauses. I train a body part only once a week. The MOST IMPORTANT aspect of lifting is good form and technique. Don't develop bad habits. Loose form will almost always end in an injury.

Banned

Here are my stats:

training history: 4 years weight training, done Max-ot, madcows 5x5 and some WS4SB.
    Bench max: 205 lbs
    squat max: 295 lbs
    Deadlift max: 355 lbs
    A 5x5 program or the WS4SB are both good basic programs, both should take you a lot farther than a 205 bench and 295 squat if done properly over time. You need to learn right now that there is no magic program. As long as you're following a decent program/plan, you can get stronger than you are today. You just need to put in lots of hard work on a good basic program and EAT. Spend time getting stronger in the basics.

Why you aren't still following WS4SB or 5x5?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad08 View Post
    A 5x5 program or the WS4SB are both good basic programs, both should take you a lot farther than a 205 bench and 295 squat if done properly over time. You need to learn right now that there is no magic program. As long as you're following a decent program/plan, you can get stronger than you are today. You just need to put in lots of hard work on a good basic program and EAT. Spend time getting stronger in the basics.

Why you aren't still following WS4SB or 5x5?
    With the 5x5 i stalled on it because i ran it for 2 years. The WS4SB seems like it doesn't help me out with bench press. This is how i do my WS4SB setup:

Monday ME UPPER:
    Bench press: work up to a 3 rep max
    some type of dumbbell BP: 4x6
    some type of row: 3x10
    bicep curls: 3x8

Wednesday ME lower:
    Box squat, good morning or deadlift: work up to 3 rep max
    some kind of quad work: 4x6 (im weak at the top of the squat)
    some kind of lower abck work: 3x8
    abs: 3x12
    shrugs : 2x12

Friday RE Upper:
    BP or dumbbell bp: 2x max reps (every two weeks i do 3x10 instead of maxing out)
    shoulder press: 3x8
    tricep extension: 4x8
    pull ups or chins or hammer chins: 5x5
    grip work

Banned
    can anyone take a look at my ws4sb setup

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Do you rotate movements for your bench or just go in and do a 3rm each time?
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

Demons of Steel and Flesh HP666's Avatar
    I'm sure Chris will elaborate when you answer him about the bench press but I'll say that if you are a beginner and want to be a powerlifter you need more volume and need to build a solid foundation to work with. I know you said you did 5x5, etc, but doing 5x5 by yourself isn't necessarily pushing yourself to perform max effort on the three big lifts.
    Matt Rhodes wrote a great article for Elite about being a beginner, you should check it out. http://www.elitefts.com/documents/getting_ready.htm
    If Matt sees this and you are lucky he may chime in.
    Last edited by HP666; 12-02-2008 at 01:19 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rodgers View Post
    Do you rotate movements for your bench or just go in and do a 3rm each time?
    Yes i rotate 3 movements. The flat BP, close grip BP and 2 board press. I switch it every 2 weeks.