The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Strict Press Vs. Push Press

I never knew about the strict press and push press before i did some reading up on them. I always thought that the push press(using yours legs to help), was cheating so i have been doing strict press. What is the benefits of each, so basically which one is better for what? I would guess that strict press is more shoulders, but im not sure. What different body parts do each kind of overhead press work?

THANKS.

P.S. sorry for 2 threads right after eachother, i just thot of 2 quetions lol, that i needed to ask.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Nuttin to it but to do it Chalky Palms's Avatar
    Overhead presses are compound exercises meaning they don't work just one body part, you will be using your lats, shoulders, triceps, core, as well as other stabilizers to lift the weight. Push presses are good if you are into Olympic lifts and need help on your jerks or just for generating more power in your lifts. They also allow you to lift more weight. More weight on the bar = more mass on the ass. Strict presses or military presses are good at isolating the shoulder girdle and arm muscles. They both have their place in a workout.
    Last edited by Chalky Palms; 12-01-2008 at 10:58 PM.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Best Raw Lifts- B 315 S 405 D 555
    Workout Journal

Great question, I've been wondering the same thing. I used to only do strict presses using dumbells but I recently switched to barbell presses and now use push presses. Some follow up questiosn I have are:

Does a barbell strict press put too much pressure on the back?

Which method will grow the shoulders more? Yes, strictly speaking shoulder size when looking in the mirror. I know most guys on this thread are strictly about strength, but hey seeing results in the mirror is fun!!!

Nuttin to it but to do it Chalky Palms's Avatar
    Like I said, strict press isolates the shoulder girdle, however, you can lift more weight with push presses. I'd recommend using both. Overhead presses in any form are great at adding mass.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Best Raw Lifts- B 315 S 405 D 555
    Workout Journal

Does a barbell strict press put too much pressure on the back?

I've always done them seated with dumbbells and I'm on the starting strength program now doing a strict barbell press and i'm having a hard time with them. In the video's they show he stresses to keep your abs tight the entire time that way you can't hyper extend your back. Also to keep your legs tight.

I've always mixed the two together. I start out strict pressing a weight and then push press a few reps at the end. My shoulder developement is hardly anything to aspire to, but doing it that way has been good for me and is at least worth considering.
    My Journal
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,...Cuz I'm the baddest motherf***er in the valley!
    "The wait in the dressing room before a boxing match --that last hour -- would be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever Pride, Desire, and Heart he THOUGHT he had" -John Scully
    "It takes no effort to be ordinary. Ordinary is not even a challenge. You can do nothing and be ordinary."- Bernard Hopkins

push jerk to get the most weight overhead
    push press to assist push jerk training
    strict press to assist shoulder and tricep training for the above.
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyone View Post
    I agree with McVein