The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

rippetoe gains have halted

long story short, i've been on rippetoes for a while and certain lifts have stalled and a deload only worsened the situation. would these adjustments help?

DAY 1
    Squat 3x5
    Bench 3x5, 1x8
    Hang Cleans 5x3
    Pull Ups 3xfailure
    Weighted Ab Work

DAY 2
    Deadlift 1x5
    Press 3x5, 1x8
    Dips 3xfailure
    Barbell Curls 3x8
    Weighted Hypers

Day 3
    Squat 3x5
    Bench 3x5, 1x8
    Barbell Row 3x5
    Close Grip Bench 3x8
    Weighted Ab Work

I really like the starting stength routine so I'd like to do something similar. As you may be able to infer, my upper body is lagging in comparison to my lower body. My squats keep rising while some upper body lifts are stagnant. My most recent working weights are Squat: 290x5 Bench 190x5 and Deadlift 245x5, any thoughts?
    20 years old,
    Pre-injury: 5'7", 184 lbs.
    Pre-injury PRs: Bench 225 Squat 360 Dead 320
    Post-injury: 5'7", 178 lbs.
    (Can't wait to smash my pre-injury PRs )

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Nuttin to it but to do it Chalky Palms's Avatar
    Are you eating and sleeping enough?
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Best Raw Lifts- B 315 S 405 D 555
    Workout Journal

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalky Palms View Post
    Are you eating and sleeping enough?
    i sleep 8 or 9 hours a night so i doubt that is my problem. i do admit i have not been eating loads above maintenance everyday as of late, a few hundred calories at best. truthfully, i am aiming to become stronger and more explosive rather than gain mass. while gaining mass is a concern, my desire to do so pales in comparison to my urge to become stronger.
    20 years old,

Nuttin to it but to do it Chalky Palms's Avatar
    If you want to be explosive you have to train explosively, maybe take a week every now and then and focus on speed work, do some concentric squats and really focus on exploding upwards. Eating is important because without food you cannot grow, whether you want mass or not, you need to be eating enough. Strength and mass are typically like smoke and fire, they usually go together.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Best Raw Lifts- B 315 S 405 D 555
    Workout Journal

Quote Originally Posted by eriatarka01 View Post
    i sleep 8 or 9 hours a night so i doubt that is my problem. i do admit i have not been eating loads above maintenance everyday as of late, a few hundred calories at best. truthfully, i am aiming to become stronger and more explosive rather than gain mass. while gaining mass is a concern, my desire to do so pales in comparison to my urge to become stronger.
    Rippetoes is a strength building routine.

How long have you been progressing?
    What are your numbers now compared to what they have were?

Usually the answer to your original problem (which has been given) is check your rest and food. These are so important.

Try posting in the GPP section for some help on routine that will help you with more explosive power.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Assuming you are doing everything else right like the others have said I would do weighted Dips and Chins. You are doing 5 reps on the other lifts with the weight increasing so it only makes sense to perform 5-6 reps with increasing the weight every workout or 2. That's what really helped me.

Maybe stick to something more like the basic SS. You would be better off putting more effort into adding weight to chins/dips than doing curls.

Day 1
    Squat 3X5
    Bench Press 3X5
    Dead Lift 1X5
    Weighted Dip 3X4-6

Day 2
    Front Squat 3X8
    OH Press 3X5
    Power Clean 5X3
    Weighted Chin/Pull Up 3X4-6

If you can't increase your lifts every single workout anymore. Try increasing the lifts each week, or maybe even try to always increase at least one lift every workout. I did that for a while after slowing down on SS. I figured that as long as at least one lift in the workout was heavier then the previous workout, then I was progressing.

Milk the 3 heavy days a week for as long as possible. I'd bet that you're feeling pretty beat up most of the time since their isn't much time for recovery when every day is a heavy day.

After that, you may want to consider switching to one of the intermediate programs he advocates in Practical programming. I have been following the Texas Method for about 5 weeks now, and I'm loving it. With the added recovery period, my gains have been shooting up again. Check out my journal to see what the TM is if you don't already know.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

There's something wrong if you are squatting that much more than you are deadlifting. Either your deadlift form is off and it's hurting your pull or you're squatting high. I would reevaluate your form on both lifts.

If you're truly stalling, look into Starr's 5x5. If I were you, I would make one small adjustment to it. I would continue to squat heavy every workout if you can continue to make progress that way.

Both of the last 2 posts are what I usually recommend. Please read Jorge's post about form on both squat and deads. If you can, vid yourself on both and post them up, so we can help you out on them.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rbtrout View Post
    Both of the last 2 posts are what I usually recommend. Please read Jorge's post about form on both squat and deads. If you can, vid yourself on both and post them up, so we can help you out on them.

i'm nearly positive my squat form is spot on. i know for a fact i can't get any deeper or i'd be sitting on the floor. my deadlift form may be the problem.. tomorrow is my deadlift day so hopefully i can get a buddy to take a video for me. thanks for the advice guys it will all be taken into consideration as i am willing to do whatever it takes to get my numbers up :P.
    20 years old,