Thread: To cut our continue bulking?

To cut our continue bulking?

I just got all my stats weighed in today, im at 150 16.5% bf, 5'7 height. Should I start cutting now or bulk? (I started at 110)

This really depends on what your goals are. Gaining 40 lbs is awesome and takes a lot of hard work, but being at 16.5% bodyfat is a bit high for most poeple - especially at 150 lbs.

What I would suggest to you is to design a diet that will keep you at 150 lbs while allowing you to lose bodyfat. Don't go on a "cutting plan" because then you will just backtrack and end up being unhappy with the results. Figure out your maintenance calories to stay at 150 lbs using one of the online calculators and then formulate a clean diet that will meet those objectives and try to get your bodyfat down to 10-12% before doing another bulking cycle.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Cutting or bulking is 100% a personal decision. If you are too fat then cut, if you want to add more mass and up your lifts then bulk.
    Nick V

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    This really depends on what your goals are. Gaining 40 lbs is awesome and takes a lot of hard work, but being at 16.5% bodyfat is a bit high for most poeple - especially at 150 lbs.

What I would suggest to you is to design a diet that will keep you at 150 lbs while allowing you to lose bodyfat. Don't go on a "cutting plan" because then you will just backtrack and end up being unhappy with the results. Figure out your maintenance calories to stay at 150 lbs using one of the online calculators and then formulate a clean diet that will meet those objectives and try to get your bodyfat down to 10-12% before doing another bulking cycle.
    I was actually thinking of this same idea also. Is there a way I can just eat at mainteance (not bulk, but maintain) and cut off bf in the process without cardio?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foth View Post
    I was actually thinking of this same idea also. Is there a way I can just eat at mainteance (not bulk, but maintain) and cut off bf in the process without cardio?
    I'm interested to hear this as well

Quote Originally Posted by foth View Post
    You can lower your bodyfat without cardio. Make sure that you are eating clean foods, frequent small meals (don't flame me on this one), and training with intensity when you're in the gym. Lifting weights does burn a lot of carlories and diet is the key to body composition. Focus on eating low glycemic index carbohydrates, high protein, a lot of fiber, and no processed foods. Eat a lot of vegetables, sweet potatoes, lean meat, tuna fish, protein shakes, some fruits. Try to cut back on dairy and be sure that you are drinking a gallon of water everyday.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Cardio is just a way to burn off calories. As long you are eating less then you burn you will lose weight. Now as for maintaining weight and losing fat, that can be tricky. If you train hard enough and eat clean enough it can be done but it is a long long slow process. Normally it is easier just to spend a few weeks/months cutting until your at your desired BF level then slowly add weight and repeat.
    Nick V

You can lower your bodyfat without cardio. Make sure that you are eating clean foods, frequent small meals (don't flame me on this one), and training with intensity when you're in the gym. Lifting weights does burn a lot of carlories and diet is the key to body composition. Focus on eating low glycemic index carbohydrates, high protein, a lot of fiber, and no processed foods. Eat a lot of vegetables, sweet potatoes, lean meat, tuna fish, protein shakes, some fruits. Try to cut back on dairy and be sure that you are drinking a gallon of water everyday.
    skim milk should be fine, no?

Try to cut back on dairy .
    Im assuming u are just talking about whole or rich types of dairy products right?
    So lowfat/skim and no sugar types should be ok right?
    Last edited by kymira; 12-10-2008 at 01:18 PM.
    "....I've failed over and over and over again in my life.... And that is why I succeed....."

- Michael Jordan

dairy is fine. Total calories, with attention to Protein, Fat, and Carbs is going to be key if you want to drop body fat but stay around the same weight level. We're talking a deficit of 100-200 below maintenance and even then you WILL lose a little weight.

Tom I'm curious as to why it matters if the carbohydrates are low glycemic, assuming they're eaten with protein and/or fat...because if that's the case, it simply won't matter
    Last edited by KingWilder; 12-10-2008 at 01:55 PM.
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!