Thread: Please comment on my sumo deadlift form

Banned

Please comment on my sumo deadlift form

I started pulling sumo a couple workouts ago. I think it's slightly easier to keep my hips down than pulling conventional. I put on my squat suit to see what it felt like to pull in it. I'm not sure if I like it or not for deads ( but I love it for squats ). I realize that I hitch a little ( I did a lot of volume tonight and I was getting tired ).

Anyway, here's a video I took tonight pulling sumo, any constructive comments will be appreciated.

Video

Nice lift id just say maybe get your legs out a little more if your pulling sumo so you can get lower. other wise it looked good.Oh also i cant tell to much, but try to keep the bar in as close to your legs as possible great lift bro.

Nuttin to it but to do it Chalky Palms's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik 23 View Post
    Nice lift id just say maybe get your legs out a little more if your pulling sumo so you can get lower. other wise it looked good.Oh also i cant tell to much, but try to keep the bar in as close to your legs as possible great lift bro.
    I agree with getting your feet out farther, you aren't getting the most out of that squat suit by lifting like that, get your butt down and pull back.
    Last edited by Chalky Palms; 12-04-2008 at 11:09 PM.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Best Raw Lifts- B 315 S 405 D 555
    Workout Journal

Hopefully Chris Rogers or Heavy Bomber post in this thread, they are some of they best sumo pullers on the site.

You need to sink the hips much lower when you start the pull though.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

i was always under the impression you wanted to get your hips as high as you could before you start the lift? like, get all the slack out of them until they would actually contribute to the lift? maybe this is why i dont ever get deadlift shins!
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

UPA Lousiana Chairman Eric Downey's Avatar
    your not wide enough hopefully sgt rock will chime in
    CLASH FOR CASH RAW504 SEPT. 11, 2010 KENNER, LA CLICK FOR INFO
    Eric "BIG EZY" Downey
    RAW BENCH BEST: 523 Raw Unity 2010
    RAW UNITY VID
    RAW TOTAL BEST:534.5 - 507 - 556.5 1598 APA Raw Nationals 2010
    534 SQUAT
    507 BENCH
    556 DEADLIFT
    Facebook YOUTUBE

Quote Originally Posted by jed View Post
    i was always under the impression you wanted to get your hips as high as you could before you start the lift? like, get all the slack out of them until they would actually contribute to the lift? maybe this is why i dont ever get deadlift shins!
    If you hips are as high as possible it would be a total straight legged deadlift. Maybe I am misunderstanding you.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

yup, get your feet wider. you are doing a straight leg deadlift. sink those hips down and arch that back, get those legs and hips into it.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Wear wrestling shoes

If your going to wear a suit why wear shorts over it? The bar got caught up in it...lose the shorts

Feet out much wider, point toes out more

Drop the hips before you pull, feet through the floor, your hips are rising too fast

You hitched the weight, thats 3 red lights bro, baby powder on the legs may help that issue

If your a beginner powerlifter, do mostly conventional deads, how much can you conv vs sumo?

I have won world championships sumo and conventional, but as a taller lifter in my class, though not your height or even close, the conventional works for the huge majority of tall guys, Heisey etc.

Semper Fi

Semper Fi

Wannabebig Member
    That's not sumo.A guy your height would have to be close to the first plate to pull sumo.You're 6" taller then me and my trainer has my feet about 3-4" from the first plate when pulling sumo.
    17 yr old son training partner 5'9" 198 lbs All lifts are Raw
    Bench 295
    Squat 415
    Dead 480
    Total 1190

Me 6'2" 240 lbs

Lexen Extreme the only place to train

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROCK View Post
    If your going to wear a suit why wear shorts over it? The bar got caught up in it...lose the shorts
    Because I felt naked wearing just the suit, I'll get over that.

Feet out much wider, point toes out more
    I'm constantly having to work on hip flexibility, right now if I go wider my hips ache. That's getting better though, it'll get there.

Drop the hips before you pull, feet through the floor, your hips are rising too fast

If your a beginner powerlifter, do mostly conventional deads, how much can you conv vs sumo?
    I've only pulled sumo for two workouts and I can already do more than conventional, 495 sumo 475 conventional.
    When I pull conventional I feel like I *can't* drop my hips, and I end up using only my lower back. Switching to sumo I feel like I can somewhat keep my hips down and use my hips ( a little ) to pull. I think with some more practice, I'll be able to keep my hips down longer pulling sumo.

I have won world championships sumo and conventional, but as a taller lifter in my class, though not your height or even close, the conventional works for the huge majority of tall guys, Heisey etc.
    Hmm, so are you suggesting I don't pull sumo? The way I was feeling last night was that with a little practice with sumo, I'll be able to pull A LOT more.

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by BigTallOx; 12-05-2008 at 09:47 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 10.5 Dave View Post
    That's not sumo.A guy your height would have to be close to the first plate to pull sumo.You're 6" taller then me and my trainer has my feet about 3-4" from the first plate when pulling sumo.
    I'm pulling with my arms inside my legs, so it's sumo, or at least that my definition. Like I said, when I go wider my hips bother me.

What is your best conventional? I know your a beginner bro, you should REALLY be doing the majority of your pulls CONVENTIONAL, regardless of height, but ESPECIALLY for being a real tall dude. Each year I watch Ed Coan DL videos, and feel like all of a sudden I can be the next great sumo puller, with light weights up to 650-700 I can usually SNAP it off the deck sometimes easier than a conv pull. When I get over that I realize I am not ready to be a full time sumo puller, I am much more sturdy conv and can GRIND OUT a tough rep conv, not true in sumo. Sumo pullers are born, not made.

Semper Fi

Wannabebig Member
    JMI-- I am a novice powerlifter and a fellow sumo puller just like yourself. Personally, I feel that with practice, you can become an excellent sumo puller. Although my gym PR is only 625 (sumo), I know that my mistakes are mostly technical. I would first read all that I can about sumo pulling. I took the liberty of listing a few of them below.

1. http://www.elitefts.com/documents/ad...t_training.htm
    2. [www.elitefts.com/documents/sumodl.htm
    3. www.elitefts.com/documents/go_sumo.htm
    4. www.elitefts.com/documents/go_sumo.htm (this one is great because he is a conventional puller who incorporates sumo into his training).
    5. http://www.elitefts.com/documents/fi...t_secrets2.htm
    6. http://www.elitefts.com/documents/10...y_deadlift.htm
    7. http://www.elitefts.com/documents/sumo_deadlift.htm

I was once a conventional deadlifter, and I still incorporate conventional training into my cycles, however, the sumo version is much more fun to me. It is a gritty, yet "finese" type of lift. If you have the patience for learning all that you can about it, then go for it. Again, this is my opinion, and like they say, opinions are like Buttholes, everyone has one....

Banned
    I know your a beginner bro, you should REALLY be doing the majority of your pulls CONVENTIONAL, regardless of height, but ESPECIALLY for being a real tall dude.
    OK.

Just curious though, why is conventional better for tall people? I think the reason my hips rise too quickly pulling conventional is because I need to get my knees out of the way. Even with my narrow sumo stance, this isn't an issue anymore ( the knees being in the way, I know my hips still rise too quick, but at least with sumo I feel like with practice I *could* correct that ). Also, sumo's going to lessen how far I have to lift the bar ( everybody was so adament that I need to bench as wide as possible, it seems the same should be true for deads. )

How about if I train both?
    Last edited by BigTallOx; 12-05-2008 at 03:41 PM.

Sounds like your going to do what you want to do bro. Beginners need to do more conventional pulls, its that simple, a base needs to be built up and the conventional builds the back up more. After you do many pulls conventional you can then decide which way to go. Why is conv better for tall people? It all comes down to leverage, show me on great puller your height bro, I cannot name one except the great OD wilson who weighed over 350, but Heisey was a 900 plus puller. I remember reading him stating sumo pulls and tall guys don't mix, that was good enough for me. Give conv a six month try, with SLDL and platform dls mixed in before you think about sumo.

Semper Fi

Demons of Steel and Flesh HP666's Avatar
    Hey Sarge,
    Let me ask you a question. Since I started seriously powerlifting I've been DL Sumo, mainly because I'm 6-3 350-360 and my belly is too big for me to get down conventional. Now, if I really try hard to go conventional I can make it down there but I find my technique goes all to hell; like I have to manipulate my feet/legs to get down there and it's not comfortable and I end up almost doing a SLDL. Do you think this is something I should work on or just stick with Sumo? I know that seems like a dumb question because obviously conventional will help me either way I decide to go, what I mean is I'm trying to get this big belly smaller so should I just scrap the conventional until I can reach more comfortably or try and work through the problems now? Thanks.
    Last edited by HP666; 12-05-2008 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HP666 View Post
    Hey Sarge,
    Let me ask you a question. Since I started seriously powerlifting I've been DL Sumo, mainly because I'm 6-3 350-360 and my belly is too big for me to get down conventional. Now, if I really try hard to go conventional I can make it down there but I find my technique goes all to hell; like I have to manipulate my feet/legs to get down there and it's not comfortable and I end up almost doing a SLDL. Do you think this is something I should work on or just stick with Sumo? I know that seems like a dumb question because obviously conventional will help me either way I decide to go, what I mean is I'm trying to get this big belly smaller so should I just scrap the conventional until I can reach more comfortably or try and work through the problems now? Thanks.
    With the obstacles that you stated sumo might be the way to do for you. Can you do SLDL effectively? If that is the case I would hammer them as well, and even do only SLDL to get that back ready and in great shape. There is no dumb question my brother, hope this helps. Keep trying to get that conv form down, if your belly is the issue than def lose it. For intance Frank and DT both go well over 350 and are AWESOME conv dlers.

Semper Fi

Semper Fi
    Last edited by SGT ROCK; 12-05-2008 at 05:29 PM.

Banned
    Sounds like your going to do what you want to do bro.
    Not necessarily. It's just I really liked how things went last night, so I'm questioning, I don't think that's bad.

the great OD wilson who weighed over 350, but Heisey was a 900 plus puller. I remember reading him stating sumo pulls and tall guys don't mix, that was good enough for me.
    I don't mean any disrespect, but that's not good enough for me. Everybody is different, even amoung tall people.

Give conv a six month try, with SLDL and platform dls mixed in before you think about sumo.
    OK. I *have* given it 6 months. I started deadlifting back in June, and pulled exclusively conventional until about 2 weeks ago.

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by BigTallOx; 12-05-2008 at 06:06 PM.

I dont know much about sumo but thats some strong pulling for sure!
    Sarvamangalam!