Thread: BAND Tension

Hybrid View

BAND Tension

Can someone explain to me how to figure out band tension? or is there a website i can go to? maybe even a video that shows proper ways to hook up bands etc? THANKS in advance!

You can find charts that graph out tension of bands. Here's how I figure it out:

Mini bands = a little
    light bands = enough
    medium bands = more than enough
    heavy bands = a ****load
    any kind of band doubled over = a ****load+

Seriously though, how you set them up (choke the bands), your height, the age/wear of the bands, etc. all vary and affect how much tension you are going to get. At best, the numbers you come up with are going to be a very, very rough estimate.

I talk about bands and chains and basic set up in this video.
    Video
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    You can find charts that graph out tension of bands. Here's how I figure it out:

Mini bands = a little
    light bands = enough
    medium bands = more than enough
    heavy bands = a ****load
    any kind of band doubled over = a ****load+
    This. There is no other answer.
    Roll Tide.

Thanks!

LOL at Sensei's post. like he said, any number you come up with is going to be extremely rough.

they make tensioners though
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Banned
    The first time I did reverse band presses, I put various weights on the bar and measured how far the bands extend. I think measuring it is really the only way to know for sure.
    Last edited by BigTallOx; 12-05-2008 at 11:02 AM.

Demons of Steel and Flesh HP666's Avatar
    Does it really matter though? What I mean is that it's all relative to your lifting anyway. For instance, I set myself up in a rack with the green bands choked at the bottom and placed on the bar. So I'm 6-3, so right away there is more band tension at the top than for someone who is 5-7. I just know that for me that when I use the green bands I can work up to 495 pounds of bar weight plus those green bands. I never worry about exactly what the tension weight is but focus on the weight on the bar as far as making gains. So Next time I train I can either A) add more bar weight or B) Use the blue bands and start with lesser bar weight. It works the same way with using the reverse bands for benching, worry about the weight on the bar.
    Someone else mentioned it but it is almost friggin impossible to figure out exactly how much band tension equals in weight. What Sensei said, while funny, is right on the mark; "more than enough", "a **** load", that's what you need to know.
    Part of the problem is people get too caught up in it, they want to say, "well I squatted 400lbs but with 137.524lbs of band tension, so my squat is awesome at 537.524lbs", or on the bench, "well I benched 455 with the reverse green bands so my real bench is stellar at around 405". Whatever, I think you get what I'm saying. Use the bands, worry about the weight on the bar. You're not gonna go for a PR with the bands anyway, so worry about that weight when the time comes.

Do not over think, just SFW.
    Last edited by HP666; 12-05-2008 at 01:39 PM.

^^ I'm with HP666. Bands aren't used in competition, so the number doesn't really matter. I do however work for PR's in each movement (i.e. bench with mini's, bench with monster mini's, reverse band bench, etc.) Use them to get stronger, that's it.
    "It had long since come to my attention that people of accomplishment rarely sat back and let things happen to them. They went out and happened to things." - Leonardo da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by FFHill View Post
    ^^ I'm with HP666. Bands aren't used in competition, so the number doesn't really matter. I do however work for PR's in each movement (i.e. bench with mini's, bench with monster mini's, reverse band bench, etc.) Use them to get stronger, that's it.
    Yes, I should have said it more clearly regarding the PR thing, I just meant going for a PR as preparation for a meet lift. But you most certainly can track your PR's with bands like FFHill is saying.

i understand what you guys are saying, i was just wondering thats all.

This is from EliteFTS:

Band Tension

Dave and I recently measured band tension on the EFS Monolift and figured some people would like to know what we came up with. This may help you figure out what kind of tension that you have or give you an approximate idea of what you have.

1. Base of the Monolift is 4x4.
    2. All bands were choked.
    3. All bands were Jump Stretch Bands.
    4. Bar was placed 52 inches from the ground.
    5. Bands were on the sleeve of the barbell.
    6. Bands were either brand new or used 2-3 times.
    7. For every inch the bar went down, the tension decreased by about 10lbs. This only held true for the first 1/3 of the way down.
    8. We found that choking the bands around a 3x3 base caused the tension to decrease 40lb; thus holding statement #6 true.

Band/Tension at the Top

Strong band 175lb
    Average band 115lb
    Light band 70lb