The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Oly Routine

Oly Routine

What do you think of this as an Oly routine?

Ab/core work is done on the weekend. I just didn’t add it because it’s based on the day I do a longer run (weather). For abs I do leg raises, weighted sit-ups and static holds.

Active recovery is not that intense. Usually either a 10km run, 45min swim, 1 hour bike, Crossfit based w/o, sprints, short run for time…anything along those lines. Basically, it depends on my energy level and the weather conditions.

Friday I’m not setting specific reps, but I do a pyramid type structure (work up ~3 reps to a hard 1 rep, then work down reping out).
    Attached Files Attached Files

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

The couple of things I would change are:

1.) Always do the most technically demanding lift first. That means snatches before cleans, pulls before any sort of raw strength work.

2.) Im a little confused.. are you doing 2x2, then 1x1, then 3x3? That seems out of order.. should be triples to doubles to singles. There's no such thing as a burn out set in Olympic lifting.

3.) Harder squats before easier ones - Back squats first, OH second.

4.) I'd put more pulls in, personally, as that is an excellent time to practice positions.

5.) I'd cut the benching - really doesn't do much of anything for you. If you want more upperbody pressing strength, do another day of shoulder presses, or better push presses where you can work on coordinating lower body and upper body power.

6.) Good mornings are okay, but RDL's are way more sport specific for Olympic lifting. When you do an RDL for olympic lifting, you should have a slight bend in your knees and never change that bend.. just lower the weight to below your knee (no lower), and pull back to just before full extension. If you are cleaning/snatching correctly, this is actually part of your pull.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Comments on your comments:

#2: Would I be burning myself out for the single having already done doubles and triples? Or is that the whole point? I was thinking I’d have more energy for the single after the double…then use the triples as the “burn out” so to speak. Maybe I’m wrong…again…I still have that bodybuilding routine mentality.

#3: I was thinking that the OH squat would be used almost as a technique builder and/or warm up for my back squat, but I see what you’re saying and it makes since, I’m going to switch it.

#4: Fair. I saw that the Queensland routine had a lot of pulls, I’m just worried about my back burning out doing a high volume of pulls or not making much progress doing a lot of pulls at lighter weight.

#5: I do bench because I want to compete in PL (as a personal challenge)…I know you can’t really focus on two things at once, but I figure at the very least I can maintain my bench # or slightly improve it. A long time goal of mine is to do a 315lb bench…I can do 285 (while on a cut), so once I drop this weight I hope to hit that number. Right or wrong, I enjoy benching haha

6: I don’t really like good mornings…I just added them b/c Queensland had them implemented. RDL’s destroy my hamstrings, but I’ll switch it.

This is v2

I think I'll be alright in terms of volume/burn out since I have wed/thur and sat/sun with no leg, back or direct shoulder work.

EDIT: Instead of doing OH squats on Tuesday, maybe I should switch it to Thursday. It would balance the load on my shoulders a little better I think
    Last edited by accuFLEX; 12-04-2008 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by accuFLEX View Post
    Comments on your comments:

#2: Would I be burning myself out for the single having already done doubles and triples? Or is that the whole point? I was thinking I’d have more energy for the single after the double…then use the triples as the “burn out” so to speak. Maybe I’m wrong…again…I still have that bodybuilding routine mentality.

#3: I was thinking that the OH squat would be used almost as a technique builder and/or warm up for my back squat, but I see what you’re saying and it makes since, I’m going to switch it.

#4: Fair. I saw that the Queensland routine had a lot of pulls, I’m just worried about my back burning out doing a high volume of pulls or not making much progress doing a lot of pulls at lighter weight.

#5: I do bench because I want to compete in PL (as a personal challenge)…I know you can’t really focus on two things at once, but I figure at the very least I can maintain my bench # or slightly improve it. A long time goal of mine is to do a 315lb bench…I can do 285 (while on a cut), so once I drop this weight I hope to hit that number. Right or wrong, I enjoy benching haha

6: I don’t really like good mornings…I just added them b/c Queensland had them implemented. RDL’s destroy my hamstrings, but I’ll switch it.
    The idea is to use triples and double to warm up into heavier weights. You dont want to burn out in Olympic lifting - you want to be fresh for your technique lifts so you get the most out of them.

Yeah - benching isn't really 'right' for olympic lifting, but hey, if you like it you like it. If you wanted to be real competitive, I'd say to let it go, but for now, why not.

The snatch and the clean require an extraordinary amount of hamstring strength since you pull the bar off the floor by extending your knees and not your hips. Thus you get into a position where you are just bent over the bar with straight legs, and your hamstrings have to be strong enough to keep you tight and then to rdl the bar up a little before you rebend. RDL's ftw here.

Updated routine