The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

bad day but very sore??

Yesterday i had a horrible day in the gym. Last monday i benched 275 5x5 and got all but the last rep on the last set. Today i couldnt get the first set of 275, and i had to rep 265. I couldn't even get that up all 5 sets.

My incline sucked, less than last week. Dumbbell press sucked. Couldn't do any dips. Last week i did 3x15, yesterday i could hardly do 1x6.

Now even though i was pushing lower weight than i should have i was still pushing myself... and this morning i woke up very sore!

So 1. Why is it all my lifts were so bad yesterday... I've been lifting seriously for over a year and thats never happened to THAT extent. 2. Why am i so sore, if i wasn't pushing much weight? Maybe I got weaker over 1 week? I'm not sure.

Anyways... Looking forward to eating LOTS and resting lots and getting back in there later this week...
    17 years old
    6'1 243
    Best lifts:
    Bench - 355x1, 350x2
    Squat - 430x1, 405x4
    Clean & Jerk - 240

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Maybe you need some time off.You could be coming down with something (cold).Rest a couple of days and start fresh.
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Wannabebig Member
    Sounds like it could be time to deload. The CNS can only handle so much and it needs recovery too. I would either drop the weight for a week, or possibly take the week off completely

It sounds like you have too much volume on your bench day. Your body probably isn't able to recover fully in a week.
    Last edited by Jorge Sanchez; 12-09-2008 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    It sounds like you have too much volume on your bench day. Your body probably isn't able to recover fully in a week.
    Yea, what is your full split and how long have you been on it?
    Last edited by Jorge Sanchez; 12-09-2008 at 01:41 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Wannabebig Member
    Well, i just got back into my school weightroom a week ago. The split is nothing i like nor do i agree with, but its kinda hard to do your own thing when 60 others are doing something entirely different.

Day 1 (monday, wednesday)
    Flat bench: 5x5
    Incline bench: 4x6
    Dumbbell bench: 3x6
    Upright rows: 4x8 or something like that
    dips: 4x10
    Rows: 4x8

Day 2 (tuesday, thursday)
    Squat: 12, 9, 6, 3, 3- 20 lb jumps each set
    Power cleans: 5x3
    Shoots: 3x6

Thats about it, i dont know ALL the exercises just the main ones.
    I hate upper body days, theres so many tricep exercises. Hell yesterday i only did 3 and that was too much. Before coming back to the school gym i was at home where i did 5x5 and dips, and occasionally close-grip or skull crushers.

Just started squatting/power cleaning and just about everything else last week. I'm thinking maybe the reason my body is so thrown off right now is because I haven't squatted or power cleaned since may.

SUPPOSED to bench again tomorrow but hopefully ill say screw that, and go with my friend to his gym thursday to bench like a normal routine...
    17 years old
    6'1 243
    Best lifts:
    Bench - 355x1, 350x2
    Squat - 430x1, 405x4
    Clean & Jerk - 240

No wonder you weren't able to increase your bench. That is way too much pressing to be doing twice a week. That is a very unbalanced routine.

Wannabebig Member
    Tell me about it =/ One thing i hate about working with my football team, the coaches treat us like we're invincible. I've made better gains alone (without anyone else) than any one person in the school has on bench (can't say squat since I couldn't squat for a whie).

And I did about half the volume. I'm thinking I'm gonna go right back to what i used to do; bench 5x5 and dips. That worked fine for a while and probably still will for a while. And i hate having only one day of rest between upper body days. Especially considering i clean and jerk on the day between =(

Why is it football coaches, guys who are aged, "wise", and have been coaching for 20-40 years, have some of the worst routines...
    17 years old
    6'1 243
    Best lifts:
    Bench - 355x1, 350x2
    Squat - 430x1, 405x4
    Clean & Jerk - 240

yeah thats happened to me a few times before, pissed me right off.
    once i took a few days rest from exercising. the other times, eating more food was sufficient enough too bring back my regular strength.