Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football

College Football

Yea I know there's only like 6 weeks until it's over again. I don't care.

Who all is a college football fan? Who do you pull for and what do you see happening with the rest of their season?

Me, I'm a proud supporter of the undefeated, #1 Alabama Crimson Tide. Coach Saban has been the best thing to happen to Bama since Coach Stallings left. And we're looking at big number 13 too.

Also, my former team, the Plymouth State Panthers just finished their season with a 10-2 record, a win over the school that is probably their biggest rival, Curry College, the New England Football Conference Championship, and their first NCAA Tournament berth since 1995. Unfortunately they lost to The SUNY Cortland Red Dragons yesterday.

I'm happy with how both teams have done this year and i'm very excited about their futures.
    Roll Tide.

Penn State Baby! Rose Bowl Bound after yesterday's pounding of Mich. State!
    5'8" 177 (meet PRs) ALL RAW

Bench - 290 (291) Pause reps Dead - 500 (479.5) Squat - 446 (430)

Total - 1236 (1168.4)

Goals: Bench - 280 met 1/19/09 new goal - 300 Squat - 435 met 11/28/09 new goal 475 Dead - 500 met 1/23/10 new goal 525

The Quest

Banned
    Sadly I am a Tennessee fan - I have nothing left but to root for Bama to win out. It pains me to do so...

gators are going to take that national championship this year. nuff said.
    I BEAT CURL JOCKEY
    BP - 280 pause bench
    SQ - 345 outdated
    DL - 345 outdated
    Clean and Jerk - 250

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by youngguns View Post
    Gators don't have enough threats to get past Bama - it will be a close game but Bama takes the SEC.

I go to Michigan so this season has sucked, lol. I'm pulling for Florida, hopefully they beat the hell out of Alabama for the SEC championship.

Texas Tech/Oklahoma game was unreal.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Invain View Post
    I go to Michigan so this season has sucked, lol. I'm pulling for Florida, hopefully they beat the hell out of Alabama for the SEC championship.

Texas Tech/Oklahoma game was unreal.
    Did the Michigan band fill in for the football team this year? I was at the game yesterday and wow, we flat out RAPED you guys.

OSU all the way

This is the worst season in Michigan history, it would have been a joke if OSU hadn't raped us.

HAHAHA Well said. That game was sweet to watch. Michigan gave it a shot in the first half, but the Bucks O-line was just a little more focused second half and it was lights out

Of course I was rooting for MSU yesterday as well but to no avail.

I'll be rooting for Bama from here on out for the championship

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

My wolfpack started out slow but man have they got it together at the end of the season. I see real good things for us in the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    Sadly I am a Tennessee fan - I have nothing left but to root for Bama to win out. It pains me to do so...
    You have my sympathies. At least you're worst team beat Vandy's best team.

Quote Originally Posted by youngguns View Post
    As for that, the Tide are a team that runs the ball, plays intimidating defense, dominates both sides of the line, and can throw the ball when they have to. The Gators are a very good team and they are ungodly explosive. But, look at LSU. They were the only team that could really hang with Alabama this year. They did this with a team that runs the ball, plays fierce defense, and dominates on both lines.

LSU lost that game because they don't have a competent QB right now and because they were playing with a team whose model is that of the opposing coach. Coach Saban brought the Tigers respectability. That didn't leave with him. I guarantee you that it was easier for Les Miles to recruit when he got there than it was for Coach Saban. Plus this year's senior class are the last players that Coach Saban was recruiting before leaving for the NFL.

Now that talk about LSU has a point. They were the only team who could really compete with Alabama this year and they lost. They kept it close by playing the exact same style of football but lost because they just weren't quite as good at it. Florida runs now where near that type of offense. They do what they do very well but I just don't think that there is anything they can do that Coach Saban can't handle. And if Coach Saban can handle it, then he taught his team to handle. Really the closest offense to what Florida runs would be all the different "wildcat" formations that have been popping up recently. Coach Saban has been working on defenses to counter it since he returned to college ball.

Basically, I think Florida will keep it close, it will be a very good game (that I won't even be able to watch all of), but I believe that Alabama will just be too strong and too well prepared for the Gators. I really believe that the team with the best chance of matching up with the Tide was Texas Tech, because they play the same kind of football except they throw the ball and can run when they have to.

Of course, I shouldn't even be worrying about Florida yet. Auburn still has to be beaten like a hooker in a snuff film first.
    Roll Tide.

How is LSU the only team that can compete with Alabama? They got their asses beat by Florida and lost to Georgia and Ole Miss last night.

romantic relations w/bacon Indifference's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KarstenDD View Post
    Auburn still has to be beaten like a hooker in a snuff film first.

And it looks like finally you guys may have that chance.
    Oly Lifting + Some PL

#'s will be up when I know them

I didn't say they were the only team who can, I said they were the only team who could. If I didn't convey my message clearly enough, I meant that they were the only team who played Alabama close. The Tulane and Kentucky games earlier this season had close scores but saw Alabama playing down to their competition. As for Georgia and Ole Miss, who cares? But, if you really want to go down that road Florida lost to Ole Miss, Alabama didn't.
    Last edited by KarstenDD; 11-23-2008 at 09:23 PM.
    Roll Tide.

Quote Originally Posted by Indifference View Post
    And it looks like finally you guys may have that chance.
    Hey, you guys got to play against teams coached my Mike Dubose, Dennis Franchione, and Mike Shula. Now our coach goes recruiting instead of duck hunting. It's just been a transfer of power from Auburn and UT back to Alabama.
    Roll Tide.

I'm a HUGE Bama fan. Went to the Tulane game this year, and sadly, that was the only one. Usually I would have gone to atleast 3.

As for the SEC Championship, it's up for grabs. Florida has a high powered system they use every week that simply dominates opponents, and they just got caught sleeping against Ole Miss (who is actually an impressive team, and I like Houston Nutt). Alabama adapts to whatever team they are playing, runs the ball, milks the clock, and plays a strong defense. It's just a question if Alabama's defense can stop Florida's offense. That, and if that goofy John Parker Wilson is "on" and can get the gears rollin'. I don't much care for him as a QB.

And yes, there is still the Auburn game. The Tigers will come to play as always, but I hope to God this is finally the year for us. I have a buddy who is an insider for a Bama Football radio station and went to a luncheon with Saban earlier this year, and he said that Coach Saban has a completely different playbook he will use in the Iron Bowl this year, and also posted a picture of Tuberville up in his office holding up 6 fingers. Nice motivation, huh? He's a pretty reliable guy, so I'm excited to see if the playbook story holds up, and we see a couple of different formations and maybe a few trick plays not typical of Alabama.

I'm praying 'Bama can win out. I hate seeing 1+ loss teams become national champs. Either way, Alabama or Florida for National Champs. I seriously doubt the best team from any other conference can handle either of them.
    Last edited by Southern Beast; 11-23-2008 at 10:50 PM.
    Name: Justin Height: 6'2" Weight: 205 lbs. Age: 25

"Pick the right door, and you'll go free ... pick the wrong door, and there he'll be ..."

"It's the most fun in the park, when you're laughing in the dark!"

go Iowa hawkeyes. Shonn Greene for heisman, what a man. sucks really too cuz iowa has only lost by like 15 pts total all season... such close games all season. proud of em for beating #3 penn st. a few weeks ago, shows that they really are for real. best of luck to em scoring a bowl game yet.

also go UNI panthers woot woot. hawks d1 uni d2!!
    Last edited by jed; 11-23-2008 at 11:02 PM.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

College Football rules my life. I live and breath by each snap.. and you'd never guess who my team was.... The University of Kentucky WILDCATS! Most of you probably dont even know we have a football team, and i can understand as our program has been basically a joke for a long time. But things are very bright for this UK program right now. Going to our third straight bowl game this year, which hasnt happened in this program for a VERY long time.. Got the best recruiting class EVER at UK coming in next year, including one of the nations TOP QB's. We will be competing for the SEC title much sooner than anyone could imagine. We are 6 and 5 this year with our last game at Rocky Top on saturday. Yes i know, its been 24 years since we beat Tennessee, but im looking for a big win to send fat phil fulmer out with a L in his last game with UT. Im a big SEC fan in general, only teams i genuinely dislike are FL and UT. Florida is playing the best football of anybody in the country right now, but dont just write off the SEC championship game as an automatic win for them. I will be pulling HARD for bama (classiest fans in the country). They might as well just make the SEC Champ game the National title game. I just cant see anybody in another conference that could beat Bama or FL.
    I may have "Love" on my head, but i have Hate in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by 2kool View Post
    Im a big SEC fan in general, only teams i genuinely dislike are FL and UT.
    I'm the same way, I love the SEC, but can't STAND Tennessee. They're really the only SEC team I just absolutely don't care for.

Kentucky has a lot of potential and will do well over the next few years. I just think it's going to be hard for them to compete with Georgia and Florida in the SEC East, though.
    Name: Justin Height: 6'2" Weight: 205 lbs. Age: 25

"Pick the right door, and you'll go free ... pick the wrong door, and there he'll be ..."

"It's the most fun in the park, when you're laughing in the dark!"

PSU! The Iowa game really hurt but we're still going to the Rose Bowl. (Hopefully against USC.)
    (SQ) 550 (BP) 425 (DL) 550
    5'9" 195lbs.

2014 Goals: 365 raw bench; Triple bodyweight deadlift; 1500 meet total @ 198

YouTube -- http://www.youtube.com/user/CarlDonatiJr?feature=mhee
    Journal -- http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-Get-Stronger!

Thank goodness Penn State lost when it did. It would have been a joke to see a third straight Big 10 team get murdered in the championship game. Hopefully the Big 12 mess continues and we get the real national championship game, Florida vs. Alambama winner vs. USC.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

And, they need to do a playoff. Not some 8 team garbage playoff, a 32 team tournament. Take every conference/conference division winner and make that an automatic bid. Then give the bigger conferences some at large births, include the indepedents if they have a legitimate claim, and have a 5 week tournament. Drop the regular season back to 10 games and get rid of those conference championship games. 5 weeks of college football playoffs would make much more money than how it is now. And, the team which wins would only play about 1 more game than they do now with the diluted schedules they play. Small schools like Utah want to lay claim to their right to play for the title. They win their conference, they get a shot. It would be bigger than March Madness.
    Last edited by joey54; 11-24-2008 at 05:11 AM.

Just get under the bar!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    Gators don't have enough threats to get past Bama - it will be a close game but Bama takes the SEC.
    Yeah. Tim Tebow, Percy Harvin, Jeff Demps, Chris Rainey, Emmanuel Moody, Kestahn Moore, Brandon James, Louis Murphy, and Aaron Hernandez aren't enough threats. Not to mention the stout defense.

Gators suck.
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

Quote Originally Posted by BrettC View Post
    Did the Michigan band fill in for the football team this year? I was at the game yesterday and wow, we flat out RAPED you guys.

OSU all the way
    I'm an Illinois fan and even WE raped Michigan this year. That was just a bad team. A highlight in what was otherwise an exceptionally poor followup to a Rose Bowl season.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle