Thread: Is it possible---Lose wieght but gain/maintain muslce?

Wannabebig Member

Is it possible---Lose wieght but gain/maintain muslce?

I am just curious if it is possible to lose wieght while at the same time maintaining mabye even gaining muscle? What kind of diet do you need to have to lose weight but gain/maintain muscle? If someone could elaborate I would appreciate it!

Thanks

It is possible. Check out UD 2.0 for elaboration.

Wannabebig Member
    Yes.
    I know that some will say no, but I am doing it right now. Honestly though, I think it depends on your body type. If you are already a lean person then I would think it's much harder (if not impossible) to cut while gaining muscle. But if you start off kinda fat, all you really need to do is eat clean and lift. even if you are eating your maintenance calories or more, the pounds will come off.
    I started lifting in October and I have lost about 14 lbs. and I have definitely put on some muscle at the same time.
    Heart pounding, legs burning, hands shaking........

NEVER FELT BETTER !

5'11"
    230 lbs.

I was always confused if people meant losing fat as is lowering BF% or actually losing the fat. If you gain muscle faster than you gain fat, wouldn't that technically make your percentage of fat go down without necessarily losing actual fat tissue?
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

Total: 1280lbs 100% raw

The key to my exercise program is this one simple truth: I hate my body.

I am losing bf and putting on muscle right now.

I am doing this but having a COMPOUND ONLY split and a spot on diet.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 12-08-2008 at 02:24 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by berfles View Post
    I was always confused if people meant losing fat as is lowering BF% or actually losing the fat. If you gain muscle faster than you gain fat, wouldn't that technically make your percentage of fat go down without necessarily losing actual fat tissue?
    No, not exactly. You'd have to gain muscle:fat in a greater proportion than your current body fat.

Let's say, for instance, you start at 100lbs, with 10% bf (90lbs LBM and 10lbs of fat).

Then you gain 10lbs in a 3:2 ratio (6lbs muscle, 4lbs fat). Now you weigh 110lbs with 96lbs of LBM and 14lbs of fat, which is equivalent to 12.7% BF.

In this example, your BF% would only decrease if you were to gain less than 1lb of fat for every 10lbs gained.

Get it?
    Last edited by Jorge Sanchez; 12-08-2008 at 02:12 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Well I have always been pretty overweight I am 247 atm but I have been lifting for a couple months now and I have decided to lose weight and get slimmer. But I dont want to diet and lose the progress I have made over the past months. So while dieting is there anything I should eat more of that help with keeping as much muscle as possible?

Drop calories very slowly, just so you lose a lb or so a week. It will take time but you wont lose as much.
    Sarvamangalam!

I think people overthink losing muscle when losing weight. Maybe it depends from person to person, but this past spring I lost ~35lbs, of which only .5 was muscle. This was determined from a bodpod eval before and after my cut, so I consider it very accurate. At the time, my diet was mediocre and I was doing the suggested lifting and cardio.

As far as being able to gain muscle while on a caloric deficit. I asked all the trainers that instruct the bodpod and they said that while they have seen people occasionally increase lifts, they have yet to see an increase in muscle mass while "cutting". Take that for what its worth.
    - Slave & Master At The Same Damn Time -
    Hoping To Compete Natty Early 2011