Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: attempt at BIG arms

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    166

    attempt at BIG arms

    So i have been working out for 2+ years now. Got my weight from 6' 155 to 6' 182. I have remained cut as well since my weight has been added on slowly. Thing is, i have VERY long arms for my height, about the wingspan of a man about 6'' taller than myself. So i feel like even though ive put on very good lean cut muscle my arms still look pretty skinny. and i know strength is about much more than that. And ive done wbb 1.1 routine and doing Baby got back routine now. I also drink a nitrean shake (2 scoops) w skim milk after every workout. Any suggestions on a diff workout or what else i can do? thanks all.

  2. #2
    Makin love, not war c-mack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Lovelady, TX
    Posts
    0
    hey man, from what i can tell from your journal, in order to get larger arms, dont do as many lifts. (I know, it sounds contradicting) You are doing 6x7 and stuff, by doing this, you are doing nothing but toning your arms, not building them. drop it down to about 3x5 with much heavier weight (at least on bench). another thing is, instead of taking nitrean, take plain old protein isolate. It is a natural, healthier, and equaly effective drink. you should also incorperate much more workouts...things like standing tricep ext., close grip and far grip bench...things like that...I was in the same boat you are in.. I'm 6'0 and have a 6'4" armspand. It sucks...but what worked for me was lifting daily...many people will tell you different, and if you want to you can listen to them, I'm just tellin you what worked for me...I am in the weightroom every day for about 1-2hrs. doing arm exercises every day. I bench press, do tricep exts, pushups, dips, curls, incline press, all of it, every day. then I go home, take my protein, and lounge around the rest of the day...I now have extremely cut 18" arms and benchpress the most in my school...Now, with things like triceps, curls, dips, pushups, stuff like that, I'd do around 3x10 or 3x15...anyway, I hope this helps...

    good luck getting bigger!
    C-MACK

    I PUT THE LAUGHTER IN MANSLAUGHTER!!!!

    Bench: 345
    Incline: 275
    DL: 325 (i know it's low, but i just started last year.)
    flexed arm circumference: 18"
    http://www.myspace.com/mck349

  3. #3
    Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Yeongsan. South Korea
    Posts
    5,907
    Quote Originally Posted by PFM8241988 View Post
    So i have been working out for 2+ years now. Got my weight from 6' 155 to 6' 182. I have remained cut as well since my weight has been added on slowly. Thing is, i have VERY long arms for my height, about the wingspan of a man about 6'' taller than myself. So i feel like even though ive put on very good lean cut muscle my arms still look pretty skinny. and i know strength is about much more than that. And ive done wbb 1.1 routine and doing Baby got back routine now. I also drink a nitrean shake (2 scoops) w skim milk after every workout. Any suggestions on a diff workout or what else i can do? thanks all.


    Long arms can be a pain...I'm 6'2" with a wingspan about 6'10".


    Day 1:

    20 rep Squat (1 set)
    Lunge (3 sets of 10)

    Day 2:

    Underhand BB row 4x8
    Close grip bench press 4x8
    Military press 4x8

    Day 3

    Rest

    Day 4

    Deadlift 3x10
    Dip 3x10


    Day 5

    Rest

    Day 6 Repeat Day 2

    Day 7

    Rest.

    Note: This is an arm specialization routine..hence you will have to cut back elsewhere in terms of volume.

    The 20 rep squat is done in the classic style which is performed as follows.

    Take your regular 10 rep max squat. Do 10 reps. Then stand erect and take in some deep breaths. When you feel ready (don't wait too long!) do another rep. Then stand and breath. Then do another rep. Repeat until you can do no more or until you get 20 reps. You may not get 20 the first few times that you do this. That's okay.

    All exercises are done heavy and you should be pushing yourself on every set. Remember to eat lots as size comes with calories. Get as much sleep as you can, and on rest days, try to limit any additional exercise.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 12-08-2008 at 11:10 PM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member cphafner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The Big Apple
    Posts
    7,701
    Quote Originally Posted by c-mack View Post
    It is a natural, healthier, and equaly effective drink.
    You have proof to back that up? Don't make statements unless you can provide proof.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

    I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

    "you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

    "Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

    From A Body Builder is Born

    i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

  5. #5
    Currently Obsessed with Sq
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    683
    lol don't diss ALN products around here haha.
    Stats: Bodyweight : Current= 150 lbs, Height = 5ft11.5

    Bench Press:160 lbs/Squat:225 lbs,/Deadlift:305/Total:675lbs/

    Not strong yet, but getting there.

    Journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=116786

  6. #6
    Senior Member cphafner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The Big Apple
    Posts
    7,701
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ_H View Post
    lol don't diss ALN products around here haha.
    Got nothing to do with him dissing ALN. It has to do with a poster with 2 posts making a claim with no backup.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

    I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

    "you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

    "Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

    From A Body Builder is Born

    i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

  7. #7
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Spotsylvania VA
    Posts
    7
    Well seems like the most effictive probably are
    forearms-deads, upright rows and some farmers walks
    bi's-straight barbells, and i really like curls with the 6 foot ez curl bar
    tris-weighted dips, tri-extensions and some balls heavy skullcrushers and closegrip bp with and without boards

    but then again thats just my opinion
    b-395 s-505 d-550- all at the end of pyramid workout. No fresh numbers. 20yo 5'11 210lbs.chalk only.

  8. #8
    SchModerator ZenMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    5,476
    Quote Originally Posted by c-mack View Post
    hey man, from what i can tell from your journal, in order to get larger arms, dont do as many lifts. (I know, it sounds contradicting) You are doing 6x7 and stuff, by doing this, you are doing nothing but toning your arms, not building them. drop it down to about 3x5 with much heavier weight (at least on bench). another thing is, instead of taking nitrean, take plain old protein isolate. It is a natural, healthier, and equaly effective drink. you should also incorperate much more workouts...things like standing tricep ext., close grip and far grip bench...things like that...I was in the same boat you are in.. I'm 6'0 and have a 6'4" armspand. It sucks...but what worked for me was lifting daily...many people will tell you different, and if you want to you can listen to them, I'm just tellin you what worked for me...I am in the weightroom every day for about 1-2hrs. doing arm exercises every day. I bench press, do tricep exts, pushups, dips, curls, incline press, all of it, every day. then I go home, take my protein, and lounge around the rest of the day...I now have extremely cut 18" arms and benchpress the most in my school...Now, with things like triceps, curls, dips, pushups, stuff like that, I'd do around 3x10 or 3x15...anyway, I hope this helps...

    good luck getting bigger!
    How will a different type of protein powder help him put size on?

    Besides that, Nitrean is far better than any isolate protein.

    Doing arm exercises everyday is not the answer for bigger arms. Hitting weights every day is not the answer either.

    Also, having "cut" arms has little to do with arm size.


    OP: Listen to Songsangnim
    Sarvamangalam!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    166
    agreed agreed. although songsangnim the workout seems kind of short to me? UNless those are just additional exercises to whatever else i do that day.

  10. #10
    Makin love, not war c-mack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Lovelady, TX
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    You have proof to back that up? Don't make statements unless you can provide proof.

    hmmm, thats interesting, when i stated my opinion that doing smaller reps with larger weights, doing tricep exts., close grip bench. ect would make his arms larger...you didnt ask for proof...

    does that mean that it in fact IS about me dissing ALN?

    Listen dude, I just posted MY OPINION just like everybody else does...and it is MY OPINION that whey isolate works.

    Whey protein isolate is the highest yield of protein currently available that comes from milk. Because of its chemical properties it is the easiest to absorb into your system. Obviously with its high concentration, it appears that an isolate protein would be the obvious choice instead of a concentrate. However, this is an individual decision because the isolate is more expensive...
    C-MACK

    I PUT THE LAUGHTER IN MANSLAUGHTER!!!!

    Bench: 345
    Incline: 275
    DL: 325 (i know it's low, but i just started last year.)
    flexed arm circumference: 18"
    http://www.myspace.com/mck349

  11. #11
    Senior Member cphafner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The Big Apple
    Posts
    7,701
    Quote Originally Posted by c-mack View Post
    hmmm, thats interesting, when i stated my opinion that doing smaller reps with larger weights, doing tricep exts., close grip bench. ect would make his arms larger...you didnt ask for proof...

    does that mean that it in fact IS about me dissing ALN?

    Listen dude, I just posted MY OPINION just like everybody else does...and it is MY OPINION that whey isolate works.

    Whey protein isolate is the highest yield of protein currently available that comes from milk. Because of its chemical properties it is the easiest to absorb into your system. Obviously with its high concentration, it appears that an isolate protein would be the obvious choice instead of a concentrate. However, this is an individual decision because the isolate is more expensive...
    Lifting is one thing, everyone has their experiences. What works for some doesn't always work for all. But after rereading your post, I agree with the above posters that it is poor. Your lifting has nothing to do with "toning" your arms. You "tone" through diet and not lifting. There is no reason to be in the gym 1-2 hours. There is no reason to be working arms every day, heck that is ever counter productive.

    Making statements like you did about supplements is a totally different thing. You are a hs kid with 3 posts. Don't make statements like you did without being able to back it up. You again just stated your opinion, but with no back up. Nothing to do with ALN. All with you being a newb around here and having no credibility yet. Also, just so you know, Nitrean is a blend and not a whey concentrate.
    Last edited by cphafner; 12-07-2008 at 11:09 AM.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

    I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

    "you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

    "Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

    From A Body Builder is Born

    i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

  12. #12
    Wannabebig New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4
    hah! I wish my arms were longer! Extra inches on your arm length is like permanent extra jumping ability in basketball, except even better b/c jumping requires timing and long arms don't.

    Edit: (I'm 6 ft tall, 6 foot wingspan)
    Last edited by HoopsButNoHops; 12-07-2008 at 11:41 AM.

  13. #13
    mrelwooddowd Patz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BFE, KY
    Posts
    9,845
    Focus on your triceps more than your biceps, as they're a much larger muscle, but don't forget the big lifts.
    _________________________

    5/3/1 Journal


    http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    166
    any ideas on how i can adjust the baby got back workout for more arms then??? http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=255

    there is it. thanks. much appreciated.

  15. #15
    mrelwooddowd Patz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BFE, KY
    Posts
    9,845
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsButNoHops View Post
    hah! I wish my arms were longer! Extra inches on your arm length is like permanent extra jumping ability in basketball, except even better b/c jumping requires timing and long arms don't.

    Edit: (I'm 6 ft tall, 6 foot wingspan)
    Hate u.

    I'm 6'1 with a 5'10 span.


    Shorter legs, longer upper body, and the smallest hands on a grown man I've ever seen. I've never reached past the top loop of the net.
    Last edited by Patz; 12-07-2008 at 12:38 PM.
    _________________________

    5/3/1 Journal


    http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    0
    Looking at your journal, you seem to be doing pretty good. I would suggest lifting in a slightly lower rep range, and trying to get stronger on your arm movements. If you want bigger arms I suggest curling and pressing more weight. You have to remember that size comes with time, so be patient. Look how far you have already progressed and appreciate your gains so far.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    166
    true, but my journal hasnt been updated in a while, like i said im doing the BGB workout i posted above.

  18. #18
    Tone and Tighten! diane82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    11
    It looks like you have made some pretty great progress in your journal!

    My ex always used to say that if he wanted to build more muscle and less tone, he had to lift bigger weight with less repetitions.

    Diane
    Last edited by diane82; 12-07-2008 at 01:25 PM.

  19. #19
    SchModerator ZenMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    5,476
    Quote Originally Posted by diane82 View Post
    It looks like you have made some pretty great progress in your journal!

    My ex always used to say that if he wanted to build more muscle and less tone, he had to lift bigger weight with less repetitions.

    Diane
    You ex is wrong. Its all about diet.
    Sarvamangalam!

  20. #20
    Moderator joey54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Palmyra, PA
    Posts
    5,730
    You can do what Song suggested. Also, if you gain weight, your arms will grow.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

    Just get under the bar!

  21. #21
    Must...work...out... nockits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Squat rack or bench.
    Posts
    948
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    You ex is wrong. Its all about diet.
    I wouldn't say it's all about diet. It's going to be a mix of the two, but mainly focusing on the type of exercises you do, and rep ranges.

  22. #22
    SchModerator ZenMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    5,476
    Quote Originally Posted by nockits View Post
    I wouldn't say it's all about diet. It's going to be a mix of the two, but mainly focusing on the type of exercises you do, and rep ranges.
    Fiffle. Do you know how hard it would be to get cut by not manipulating your diet? To get lean diet is the name of the game... no getting around it.



    This was the statement:

    "My ex always used to say that if he wanted to build more muscle and less tone, he had to lift bigger weight with less repetitions"


    That is crazy talk
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 12-07-2008 at 06:44 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

  23. #23
    Senior Member Vegetarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    In a Red House over yonder
    Posts
    129
    I have a longer upper body and shorter legs, my arms are kinda long too. Anyway I'm trying to get my arms bigger too - so far I'm progressing prtty well ...

    Sorry I don't have any advice, just wanted to throw that in ...
    5' 11" 155lbs. 13% BF - 10/20/2008
    Goal - 180lbs, 10% BF

    11/14/08
    162lbs 11-12% BF


    12/29/08
    166lbs 10% BF

  24. #24
    Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Yeongsan. South Korea
    Posts
    5,907
    Quote Originally Posted by PFM8241988 View Post
    agreed agreed. although songsangnim the workout seems kind of short to me? UNless those are just additional exercises to whatever else i do that day.
    The workouts are short in order to conserve energy. Also they do not include warm-ups. Keep in mind that these workouts are designed in order to develop arm size (if you were a beginner, I would advocate a different blend of compound exercises and a different routine (something similar to Starting Strength).

    As for being too short, try the squat exercise as I outlined above. If you have never done it before and do it as I recommended, I can pretty much promise you will not think the workout is too short.

    And the rest of the workouts are done with utmost intensity. Less is more in this case. If you look at the workout again, your arms and shoulders are being hit three times a week (the deadlift and dip work them as well) and up to 30 sets per week. Arms are a small bodypart and do not require 2 hours or even 1 hour in the gym. Too much work is simply going to overtrain them. If you add this workout on to your regular one, you are very likely to overtrain your entire body to say nothing of arms.

  25. #25
    Senior Member tom183's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,399
    The 20 rep squat is done in the classic style which is peformed as follows.

    Take your regular 10 rep max squat. Do 10 reps. Then stand erect and take in some deep breaths. When you feel ready (don't wait too long!) do another rep. Then stand and breath. Then do another rep. Repeat until you can do no more or until you get 20 reps. You may not get 20 the first few times that you do this. That's okay.
    Tried this for the first time tonight. Was dry-heaving in the toilet right after, didnt quite throw up though :-)

Similar Threads

  1. Lee Priest interviews stolen from Elite
    By The_Chicken_Daddy in forum General Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-03-2011, 11:18 PM
  2. Arms that don't seem to grow
    By Vapour Trails in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-03-2006, 02:10 AM
  3. Want Big Arms?
    By Silverback in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-24-2003, 02:35 PM
  4. 10 Commandments To Big Muscle..
    By MonStar in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-09-2002, 01:01 PM
  5. Arms getting smaller?
    By Delphi in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-09-2001, 05:50 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •