The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Speed Coach and Lifter

Conditioning for Soccer Players

Cardio isn't needed in a soccer player's program in the form of mileage/long runs.

When it comes to running, soccer players need to develop these things:

Acceleration
    RSA
    Max Velocity

Acceleration allows one to accelerate rapidly to the ball, simply known and necessary. Max velocity work allows all around development of speed and neural adaptions to speed.

Now RSA which stands for Repeated Sprint Ability. Soccer players jog jog jog... SPRINT, jog jog jog... SPRINT. RSA is best developed through general use of proper speed work with full recovery, accelerations up to 20m with limited recovery time and tempo.

So speed work should have its place and proper use, now lets move onto developing the RSA. To generally condition a athlete we will use tempo and use two forms: extensive and intensive.

For better conditioning intensive (80%-90%) speed is used over 50-200m distances. This will build up a athlete's all around fitness.

Extensive tempo is used at variety of speeds under 75% to allow for both recovery and development of VO2.

So there we cover a athlete's base conditioning. Now for more specific development of RSA we will use accels with limited recovery time as well as f-s-f/s-f-s. For limited recovery time accels, 10-20m is ideal. Starting off with 1 minute rest between runs and lowering recovery every session is best way to go to allow for best adaption.

S-F-S/F-S-F goes like this. Mark out every 20m through a distance of 60m. What you do is start off jogging for 20m, then sprint for 20m, and jog for 20m. Or do the opposite and sprint for 20m, slow down to a job for 20m, then sprint again. You can do 5 instead of 3 runs.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

What type of foot speed and lifting do you recomend for soccer players. As well what do you think of using spin bikes for conditioning?

Speed Coach and Lifter
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Crunch View Post
    What type of foot speed and lifting do you recomend for soccer players. As well what do you think of using spin bikes for conditioning?
    What do you mean by foot speed in this question?
    Lifting for soccer players, is this off season lifting or is it in-season lifting?

Spin bikes have a place, and I would use them as a supplementary device and as well for active recovery.

For foot speed I meant quick feet drills such as ladders. Do you use any others. As far as lifting the players we have don't get an off season they play all year be it indoor or outdoor and tounaments.

Speed Coach and Lifter
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Crunch View Post
    For foot speed I meant quick feet drills such as ladders. Do you use any others. As far as lifting the players we have don't get an off season they play all year be it indoor or outdoor and tounaments.
    No I just use the ladders.
    Im a little busy right now so ill get in more detailed on the lifting later, but generally for strength you'd want to build it up using squats, deadlifts, calf raises, GHR, reverse hyperextensions, lunges, bench press, military press, bent over rows, dips, pull ups/chins ups.

Strength work should be tapered down before the main part of the season/year.

Speed Coach and Lifter
    Generally lifting should be done after practice or even after games (provided they didnt work too hard lol) and adjust the volume of the lifting to the volume of the soccer workout. Generally get the main compounds such as squats, deadlifts, bench press, dips, bent over rows in and get the remaining less important lifts in when time and energy allows.

I would also reccomend doing power cleans.

I dont buy into any of this sports specific training.

Of course you can train skills for specific sports, throwing, punching, jumping etc.

But our cardiovascular systems were around long before sports, conditioning is conditioning, regardless of the sport.

I understand theres a market for such specifities, but it almost annoys me to see people promoting it so enthusiastically.

Cardio isn't needed in a soccer player's program in the form of mileage/long runs.
    Surely this is the case for any sport that isnt literally a long distance running event.

Skillsets vary, fitness surely.. is universal??
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyone View Post
    I agree with McVein

Quote Originally Posted by McVein View Post
    Skillsets vary, fitness surely.. is universal??
    How is fitness universal? Can you define fitnesS?

Quote Originally Posted by coldfire View Post
    How is fitness universal? Can you define fitnesS?
    There are ten recognised general physical skills. They are: cardiovascular/respiratory endurance, stamina, strength, flexibility, power, coordination, agility, balance, and accuracy. In my opinion, you are as fit as you are competent in each of these ten skills.

if you are flexibile and play hockey, you are flexible.
    if you are flexible and play soccer, you are still flexible.

if you are strong and swim, you are strong.
    if you are strong and box, you are strong.

if your cardio is sick and you are a runner, your cardio is sick.
    if your cardio is off the chizzain, and you row, your cardio is super awesome.

if you are fit, you are fit. Regardless of what sport you use your fitness to excell in.
    I agree with McVein

I assume this means I win
    I agree with McVein

[QUOTE=speed_expert;2018536]

For better conditioning intensive (80%-90%) speed is used over 50-200m distances. This will build up a athlete's all around fitness. QUOTE]

If by this you mean using sprints of 200 meters...it doesn't make sense. No soccer player will ever cover 200 meters in one run...or for that matter even 100 meters.

A more effective program for conditioning and speed training is to keep sprint intervals to 50 meters or less.

Using very short rest periods for 50 meter or less sprints (via Tabata Protocol) would be much more effective and better related to what a soccer player does on the field.

Kenny Croxdale
    Last edited by Kenny Croxdale; 12-10-2008 at 09:56 AM.