The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Squat & DL form check please

Any help from you guys would be great. I have never done heavy squats until recent and I must say the best 2 things I have done was stop doing it in the mirror and take video's from the side every workout. I'm working on going deeper. I used to do 1/4 squats with 135

Squat 225 X 5/5/5

Dead Lift 275 X 5

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

squats look good.

I don't have time for a close look, but on initial inspection your squats look good, but about 2-3" high. Deadlifts look pretty good, but you need to pull your shoulder blades back and push your chest out when you're in the starting position.

Yep, squats look a bit too high. Set the safeties lower.
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

Total: 1280lbs 100% raw

The key to my exercise program is this one simple truth: I hate my body.

I agree with berf and jorge.
    Sarvamangalam!

Ok, thanks guys. I will take your advise and try to improve. I will post new vids.

Got some more video's today. I tried to go 2-3 inches lower like you guys said. Man it's tough doing squats! Also, I was pretty happy that I got all 3 sets of 5 on the bench press with 185 so I posted a video of that too. Let me know what you guys think. I started at 145 7 weeks ago.

185X5

225X5 working set

135X10 I was having a hard time walking after 3 sets of 225

Bench 185X5 I haven't went this heavy since 8 years ago

Depth is much better on the squats, although the 225 was a bit higher than the 185, so you should be careful not to cut depth as you increase the weight.

I missed this the first time, but your setup could use a little bit of work. You need to get tighter under the bar before you unrack it. Push your chest out and pull your shoulder blades back, then take a deep breath. Step back and get in your stance and then take another deep breath and hold it while you squat. Other than that, your squats are really good.

Bench looks really good too. I think you've got more in you. Work on your leg drive - it looks like it's non-existent in that vid.
    Last edited by Jorge Sanchez; 12-10-2008 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    Depth is much better on the squats, although the 225 was a bit higher than the 185, so you should be careful not to cut depth as you increase the weight.

I missed this the first time, but your setup could use a little bit of work. You need to get tighter under the bar before you unrack it. Push your chest out and pull your shoulder blades back, then take a deep breath. Step back and get in your stance and then take another deep breath and hold it while you squat. Other than that, your squats are really good.

Bench looks really good too. I think you've got more in you. Work on your leg drive - it looks like it's non-existent in that vid.
    Thank you for the advise, I will work on that also. Could you show me an example on the bench?

I think your form looks great.
    Name: Justin Height: 6'2" Weight: 205 lbs. Age: 25

"Pick the right door, and you'll go free ... pick the wrong door, and there he'll be ..."

"It's the most fun in the park, when you're laughing in the dark!"

Banned
    Form looked good in the first video of the second post.

To add to what JOrge said about the set up, push your air against your abs and keep your abs tight. It looks like you are exhaling before lifting. You will feel your face about to explode in the hole, but that means you are doing it right. It will help stabilize your low back and keep tighter, thus making the lift easier even though it is uncomfortable at first.

Banned
    Second set of videos were great on depth. I don't think you cut the 225 on height at all. As the others said, work on your setup,

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    Second set of videos were great on depth. I don't think you cut the 225 on height at all. As the others said, work on your setup,
    I didn't mean to say he was high, I just meant it was higher than the 185.

I have another question. I still take a video of every workout and i'm trying to go deep but when I do my lower back rounds when I drop below parallel and it just hurts in my hips and is uncomfortable, mainly on the right side when I go below parallel. If you look close in the 2nd video of 225X5 you can see it. How can I improve on this? Even with light weight I can't seem to stop rounding my back when going below parallel.

Without looking at the video I can tell you that it's likely a hamstring flexibility problem. Stand near a doorway and drop down as low as you can possibly go without worrying about rounding your back. Then grab the doorway for balance and assume the proper back position.

Another good stretch is to place your fingers under your toes and straighten your back. You'll likely have to drop your hips pretty low but you should really feel it in your hamstrings.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    Without looking at the video I can tell you that it's likely a hamstring flexibility problem. Stand near a doorway and drop down as low as you can possibly go without worrying about rounding your back. Then grab the doorway for balance and assume the proper back position.

Another good stretch is to place your fingers under your toes and straighten your back. You'll likely have to drop your hips pretty low but you should really feel it in your hamstrings.
    Thanks again. After searching around I found the the Squat Rx video which really helped me understand the problem more.