Thread: Squat stance

Hybrid View

Squat stance

What are your thoughts on a shoulder wide,feet pointed straight ahead stance on squats? Were talking power here,not some bodybuilding iso type movement.
    Had a football coach give me his feelings on squats today,and he thought the above mentioned was the way to squat.
    I've been working hard with these kids to go wider the shoulder width,feet 45 degree angle out,etc.

Ryan Hale

I like just slightly wider then shoulder width squats with my feet angled outwards at about 35 - 45 degrees. I find that there is a "sweet spot" regarding the stance where I'm able to move the weight up the easiest. I used to squat with a very wide, powerlifting stance, but I don't like that way.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Banned
    If I am squatting raw I'll go pretty narrow, shoulder width at the most. I think my heels are only 8-10 inches apart when I do that.

When I wear gear I'll go almost as wide as the sleeves on the bar we use.

Also, I always point my toes out. No way I can get deep enough with good form if they are pointed straight out.
    Last edited by Reko; 12-08-2008 at 02:21 PM.

I go a little bit wider than shoulder width with my feet pointed slightly out to the sides. I'd say if the people are flexible enough to squat narrow with feet straight forward, great, if not, let them use the stance that allows them to squat well.

Andrew
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

Banned
    The angle of your feet should be based upon which one feels the most natural.

Banned
    The knees are going to track better if the toes are pointed out slightly. For an athletic type squat - a little outside shoulder width would be fine.

When I learned how to squat correctly, the guy that taught me told me to have my feet in the same stance as I'd be in to sit down on the toilet. Which seems to be the average, just wider than shoulder width with feet pointed in line with the knees.

If you want an athlete to do a full squat, roughly shoulder width with feet turned out is an excellent stance. This allows you to lower your hips all the way down without sticking them backwards as your knees can track out some. Its very difficult to squat full depth with your feet really wide or your toes completely straight.

When I squat narrower (slightly wider than shoulder width), my knees always seem to pass my toes, do I just need to sit back further upon descent or widen the stance a bit more?

Quote Originally Posted by fpr View Post
    When I squat narrower (slightly wider than shoulder width), my knees always seem to pass my toes, do I just need to sit back further upon descent or widen the stance a bit more?
    Pretty much the only time the knees won't actually pass the toes is in a sumo style squat.

Quote Originally Posted by fpr View Post
    There's nothing wrong with your knees coming past your toes unless you move the weight from your heels to your toes. In fact, the more your knees come out, the lower you can get and the more upright your torso can stay!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Hale View Post
    What are your thoughts on a shoulder wide,feet pointed straight ahead stance on squats? Were talking power here,not some bodybuilding iso type movement.
    Had a football coach give me his feelings on squats today,and he thought the above mentioned was the way to squat.
    Sounds like some NASM bull****.

The important thing is that the knees and toes stay in line to maintain the tibio-femoral relationship. Generally the wider the stance the more turned out the toes will be.

For a moderate low bar squat I'd recomment toes out at about 30 degrees, shoulder width or slightly wider stance.

Some competitors will point toes straight ahead because it adds tension to the squat, but it also torques the knees and is best left for advanced guys.
    Last edited by Kiknskreem; 12-08-2008 at 08:25 PM.

I'll tell you the easiest way I have found to get the proper stance for athletes is to have them jump staight up and land. Where there feet usually land is a good athletic stance slightly wider than shoulder width.