Thread: help get my bench up

Wannabebig Member

help get my bench up

have no problems pulling but pushing isnt as strong for some reason and my bench sucks ass best is 276 for a double,im not sure what my max is now but i know its not even close to what it was a year ago.i injured my back and just getting back to lifting,i cant squeeze my shoulder blades together or arch my back very well since the injury need help with my bench mega big time it sucks what do you recomend

Strengthen your lats and start working an arch little by little. There is no magic answer.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

on top of what vin said also overhead work and tris oh yeah and legs.... wow there is no magic answer. everything you do has to be heavy and focused on for the bench
    R.McCRAY The General Of The GUERRILLAPRESS ARMY

Wannabebig Member
    Strengthen your shoulders by doing a lot of overhead lifts.

Wannabebig Member
    ok guys thanks,ive been told to do lots of dumbell presses is this true?

Quote Originally Posted by live4this View Post
    ok guys thanks,ive been told to do lots of dumbell presses is this true?
    Horrible advice in my opinion.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Strengthen your lats and start working an arch little by little. There is no magic answer.
    He has an 800 pound bench in competition and a 600 pound raw bench in competition.

Quote Originally Posted by rmccray View Post
    on top of what vin said also overhead work and tris oh yeah and legs.... wow there is no magic answer. everything you do has to be heavy and focused on for the bench
    He just hit 910 last weekend for his second 900 pound bench in competition.

Basically, do what they tell you to do.
    Roll Tide.

Cough, cough....

Take a look at the link at the top of this page. It is free. It works.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    holly crap 910 in a competition setting no less,cudos dude thats awsome congrats. ok mr mason i will check it out i just thought it was an add trying to get you to buy something,thanks

Wannabebig Member
    i just think its wierd that on pulling i do well but on pushing i suck so i guess im doing something wrong,i mean rows,deads,pulldowns im doing good but pushing for example not just bench but squat,bench,tri-pushdowns,shoulder presses i suck. i guess i will figure it out but it does seem funny to me,like wtf is the deal

Quote Originally Posted by live4this View Post
    i just think its wierd that on pulling i do well but on pushing i suck so i guess im doing something wrong,i mean rows,deads,pulldowns im doing good but pushing for example not just bench but squat,bench,tri-pushdowns,shoulder presses i suck. i guess i will figure it out but it does seem funny to me,like wtf is the deal
    Bench always seems to be a hard lift expecially if you are skinny.

Wannabebig Member
    well im not skinny but im not big either one thing is that i have a very long stroke so it seems like that kinda works against me when benching.so what is the feeling im looking for when using my lats correctly? if i know that then i can start working on utilizing all the muscles properly andi think that will help a ton because right now i feel like all im using is arms and shoulders,i know something is not right with my form cause i dont feel a burn in my pecs just shoulders arms and some in my back and hips thanks guys for the helpon a subject that probably bores you to death,i mean itsprobably been aquestion in some form or another a million times but i still thank you for the help

I do it like this, hold elbows close to sides then flair lats, if you have any, if you dont then its going to be hard. then keep that feeling all the way down.
    Last edited by Darracq; 12-04-2008 at 01:05 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    ok thanks.i have some lats but i will say they arent much,i think alot of my problem is not having a mind muscle connection so sometimes i have a hard time getting a particular muscle to respond,or flex i will work on it.for example i have done shrugs and tricep pushdowns both to death and still feal like im not targeting or reaching tris or traps no matter how many times i do it

abebesheir
    Yeah, like Vinnie D said, dumbbell pressing is not a good way to increase your bench because the amount of weight you'll need to use will dramatically increase your risk of injury.
    Also, if your weakness is a barbell press... then you should do a lot of barbell pressing to remedy this.
    I would recommend board pressing to overload your benching muscles and CNS, also a lot of upper back work... I do strict pulldowns, Kroc Rows (high rep dumbbell rows) and heavy Hammer Strength Rows plus Halbert Rolls for the rotator cuff.
    Do heavy hammer curls for the biceps and brachialis. For triceps, I would abandon pushdowns and do barbell exercises like straight-bar nosebreakers and skullcrushers.
    Close grip benching at various grip widths is works well. Incline bench pressing is good, too...
    All I do for legs is Smith machine squats for 4 sets of 8, but the bottom line is that you have to do something to strengthen your legs as they are important in benching...
    Speaking of legs... try legs-up benching as this will help you control the barbell better. Also heavy floor pressing if your elbows can tolerate it (mine can't).
    There are so many variables to what most people think is a simple lift.
    5'5 207
    35 years old
    405-315-460=1180
    Feds lifted in: ADAU, APA, NOVA, 100% Raw, USAPL