The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

End of U.S. in 2010?

I found this article extremely interesting.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123051100709638419.html

Somewhat of a scary thought, one I have also believed could be true. I don't think it would be as early as 2010, but in the future, I do believe a war could break out amongst ourselves on our own soil.

Also, I know this could be a touchy subject, so I highly encourage mature and educated comments. Some may think it's paranoia while others believe it could happen. I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts, and exactly what would you do if Professor Panarin's predictions came true?
    Name: Justin Height: 6'2" Weight: 205 lbs. Age: 25

"Pick the right door, and you'll go free ... pick the wrong door, and there he'll be ..."

"It's the most fun in the park, when you're laughing in the dark!"

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

While those topics he brings up are of concern, they in no way will bring about a civil war. A slow decline of an empire though? Yes.
    "You shall invite to the path of your Lord with wisdom and kind enlightenment, and debate with them in the best possible manner. Your Lord knows best who has strayed from His path, and He knows best who are the guided ones."- Quran 16:25

"A life unexamined is not worth living"- Socrates

There's not going to be another civil war in the US or anything close to that. At least not for a long time. And not without something crazy and unexpected occurring.

We may see that the US is not as dominant as it has been and that our people start becoming poorer.

But honestly, probably not really, because the rest of the world drops by close to as much as the US does every time we fall -- we're so interconnected nowadays. (So, probably not relatively)

And overall, the world is going to progress over the couple decades. We'll eventually find ways past the resource problems and such. Technology will continue to improve, and things will continue to get better, just as they have been for the past 200 years. (So, probably not absolutely)

I do think we'll definitely see some serious slowing of progress and improvement, at least for awhile, though.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 12-29-2008 at 11:31 PM.

LOL
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyK View Post
    While those topics he brings up are of concern, they in no way will bring about a civil war. A slow decline of an empire though? Yes.
    Yeah. Just as the British, Roman, and Greek empires fell and they became just quaint European countries, so will a similar thing happen to the US as we become more and more paranoid about our place in the world, start spending too much time worrying about other countries and not about ourselves (already happening), and try exerting our influence on others when we no longer have any (beginning to happen as our influence declines).

The only way to possiby counteract this is to become a self-reliant nation again. Focus on homegrown renewable resources, encourage domestic manufacturing and limiting global job exports, and change the countries agricultural model (which is extremely vulnerable and unsustainable). The chances of that happening, however, are slim because of the nature of capitalism and an unwillingness by many to change existing policies that greatly benefit most of the large companies that control much of our domestic market.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Banned
    People have been proclaiming the end of the world or the downfall of the US/whatever for a while now. I have no reason to believe this guy is any better at making up stories than anyone else.

Is the US invincible? Absolutely not. But it won't just disintigrate and be picked apart by other nations (east coast going to Europe? Missouri going to Canada? Give me a break...).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KingJustin View Post
    There's not going to be another civil war in the US or anything close to that. At least not for a long time. And not without something crazy and unexpected occurring.
    Agreed. People are too wealthy and comfortable to take up arms. We'll pretty much take whatever is handed to us, as long as it's ushered in slowly, step-by-step.

And overall, the world is going to progress over the couple decades. We'll eventually find ways past the resource problems and such. Technology will continue to improve, and things will continue to get better, just as they have been for the past 200 years. (So, probably not absolutely)
    This sounds like fantasy land. Things aren't necessarily destined to improve. History is rife with decades and centuries of pain, suffering, and stagnation.

Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    Is the US invincible? Absolutely not. But it won't just disintigrate and be picked apart by other nations (east coast going to Europe? Missouri going to Canada? Give me a break...).
    Yeah, I find his map to be a bit laughable. I don't think the deep south would allow themselves to fall under Mexican influence. If anything, I would think each state would try to maintain their own independence if the U.S. as a whole were to fall apart.

I do think a state such as California is likely to break away first, though. With such a large Hispanic population, is it possible in the future that they take over as the majority, and eventually want to associate more with Mexico? Please take the question seriously, and not as an issue of race. I think that could be possible, but maybe not. I'd like to analyze this whole theory from every angle.

"Pick the right door, and you'll go free ... pick the wrong door, and there he'll be ..."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Beast View Post
    If anything, I would think each state would try to maintain their own independence if the U.S. as a whole were to fall apart.
    Most states have pretty much given up their autonomy and sovereignty to the federal government. They function as budget management offices for the federal government.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad08 View Post
    Most states have pretty much given up their autonomy and sovereignty to the federal government. They function as budget management offices for the federal government.
    Of course, but assuming the government collapsed, I think each state would do their best to function by themselves, or atleast with neighboring states. Still though, that's a big "if".

12-21-2012 is the beginning of a new era according to the ancient Mayan calendar....

Banned
    if there was a civil war what would be the apposing sides, probably the conservatives and the liberals, but since all the conservatives have the firepower and the liberals not having backbones, there wouldnt be a fight, a civil war is not going to happen, unless obama tries to do something extremly stupid which i dont think he would do (but most of us are arming are selves just in case )
    the worse thing that could happen is the US strength decline some which it probably will if obama cuts our military defense and has policy that is not in the USA's best interest and cares more about being a "citizen of the world"

I think this guy assumes the fall of the US empire is going to mirror the fall of the USSR, with a number of breakaway states.

It's a pretty ridiculous theory, not least of which because sovereign states don't just scoop up territory anymore. Even when they're "successful" look what happens: Isreal/Palestine, China/Taiwan, Russia/Chechnya.

Quote Originally Posted by smokinHawk View Post
    if there was a civil war what would be the apposing sides, probably the conservatives and the liberals, but since all the conservatives have the firepower and the liberals not having backbones, there wouldnt be a fight, a civil war is not going to happen, unless obama tries to do something extremly stupid which i dont think he would do (but most of us are arming are selves just in case )
    the worse thing that could happen is the US strength decline some which it probably will if obama cuts our military defense and has policy that is not in the USA's best interest and cares more about being a "citizen of the world"
    US strength is declining and will continue to do so into the forseeable future; it has and will have little to do with American policies. Diplomacy and multilateralism will increasingly become the US's best chance of ensuring its interests are maintained and advanced.

This will never happen because the federal government is too strong and Obama is not as liberal as you all would like to think. His cabinet is made up of mostly moderates (even a few from Bush's reign) and Obama has stated one of his biggest priorities is to maintain America's influence throughout the world.

Every year the United States spends more on the military than the next 15 largest countries in the world COMBINED!

Quote Originally Posted by tangerine dream View Post
    Every year the United States spends more on the military than the next 15 largest countries in the world COMBINED!
    Do you have a source for this? Not calling BS, just curious.
    Last edited by Genacide; 12-30-2008 at 09:36 AM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    This is absolutely absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by article
    "There's a 55-45% chance right now that disintegration will occur," he says."
    So, right now, it's a toss-up. It could really go either way.

Look, I get it. All empires eventually come tumbling down. Eventually the U.S. will have to relinquish control as being the sole world power. But, come on, disintegration?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Progress View Post
    This is absolutely absurd.

So, right now, it's a toss-up. It could really go either way.

Look, I get it. All empires eventually come tumbling down. Eventually the U.S. will have to relinquish control as being the sole world power. But, come on, disintegration?
    If anything, there will be a unification of some sort between Canada, the U.S., and Mexico, a la the North American Union. I doubt the Iranians or the French are going to land in North Carolina any time soon.
    Last edited by Brad08; 12-30-2008 at 10:11 AM.

Banned
    I doubt disintergration will happen unless events similar to the events preceding the Civil War occur. Remember, this Russian is ex-KGB and one of that neofascist/neocommunist Putin's friends, as well as featured on Russian propaganda TV; these guys gloat over every American mistake and would rather be back in the days of Stalin than the present.

If anything, there will be a unification of some sort between Canada, the U.S., and Mexico, a la the North American Union. I doubt the Iranians or the French are going to land in North Carolina any time soon.
    and if they tried it would be one of the worst choices on the east coast

lots of good old boys here with guns and know how to use them
    Last edited by ncsuLuke; 12-30-2008 at 10:29 AM.

Maybe this guy is looking for some significant grants from the government if he continues to blow smoke up the butts at the Kremlin. Russia will acquire Alaska back. Right.

Quote Originally Posted by ncsuLuke View Post
    and if they tried it would be one of the worst choices on the east coast

lots of good old boys here with guns and know how to use them
    Wolverines!

Quote Originally Posted by Genacide View Post
    Do you have a source for this? Not calling BS, just curious.
    Wikipedia FWIW

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militar...ther_countries

Come on. Look at the article, then look at three small words.

First) -- Igor - dudes first name is Igor. So he is already pissed off and raging.

Second) -- Russian - dude is Russian. The Cold War may be over but they're still pissed their way of doing things lost. Get over it, losers.

Third) -- Academic - dude is from the fantasy world of academia. This board is full of threads on how professors live in an ultra liberal fantasy world pushing their views.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BilltheButcher View Post
    Come on. Look at the article, then look at three small words.

First) -- Igor - dudes first name is Igor. So he is already pissed off and raging.

Second) -- Russian - dude is Russian. The Cold War may be over but they're still pissed their way of doing things lost. Get over it, losers.

Third) -- Academic - dude is from the fantasy world of academia. This board is full of threads on how professors live in an ultra liberal fantasy world pushing their views.

/end discussion

really good post Bill