The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

splits versus texas method

well I just finished about 4 months of SS by Rippetoe (highly recommend this program, even I was skeptical but it gave me great results!)

now I am wondering what is next, and can't decide between the texas method and a 4-day-a-week split

The texas method seems like it would not let me do enough lifts, as i want to do squats/deads/ benchpress/ press / row / and curls, chins, and dips in my program

I am going more for mass than power or strength, but understand that strength = mass

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Do the Texas Method. If you had success with SS you will like TX Method

Size is a function of diet
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 12-10-2008 at 08:52 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Check out my journal, I'm doing the TM right now. I've been doing it for about 6 weeks now. My gains basically stopped in SS because I wasn't recovering enough to keep lifting heavier and heavier every single workout. Switching to the TM helped push my 5RM numbers up a lot:

squat: 265 >> 315
    Deadlift: 375 >> 390
    Bench: 220 >> 250 (for 3 reps)
    OH press: 135 >> 150 (for 3 reps)
    power clean: 155 >> 170 (for 3 reps)

It works.

Then again, a good split would work too.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

I'm doing SS now and was planning on doing a 4 day split or the Texas Method when I stop making gains. I really didn't like the idea of a full body workout plan but I really like them now that I gave it a try. If I do the split it will be..

Mon- Chest, Tri's
    Tues- Back, Bi's
    Wed-Rest
    Thurs- Legs
    Fri-Shoulders, Abs

Quote Originally Posted by ELmx479 View Post
    I'm doing SS now and was planning on doing a 4 day split or the Texas Method when I stop making gains. I really didn't like the idea of a full body workout plan but I really like them now that I gave it a try. If I do the split it will be..

Mon- Chest, Tri's
    Tues- Back, Bi's
    Wed-Rest
    Thurs- Legs
    Fri-Shoulders, Abs
    How could you go from a routine like SS to a split like that? I'm just saying that after seeing what a heavy full-body routine is capable of doing for you, how could you possibly go back to doing the bodypart split stuff?

I could never go back.
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    How could you go from a routine like SS to a split like that? I'm just saying that after seeing what a heavy full-body routine is capable of doing for you, how could you possibly go back to doing the bodypart split stuff?

I could never go back.
    Well I was planning on still using all compound lifts. I would like to bulk up to 210 by march then go on a cut in the spring and use a body part split to tweak some areas then back on a full body routine and bulk next fall/winter.

Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post

I could never go back.
    I could not agree more.
    Sarvamangalam!

Wannabebig Member
    honestly, i thought that the full body approach was a little borring. Its the same routine every day in the gym...even though I can not argue with the results...

but now that I have hit the wall between novice and intermediate, I need change

My own personal trainer dumbbell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sandcracker21 View Post
    honestly, i thought that the full body approach was a little borring. Its the same routine every day in the gym...even though I can not argue with the results...

but now that I have hit the wall between novice and intermediate, I need change
    I've been rotating 2 full body routines with much success. I think it eliminates the boredom of doing just 1 workout over and over.
    Jason

It is currently a fad, at this writing, for boys to think they need a "six pack", although most of them don't have an ice chest to put it in.
    -Mark Rippetoe

I can see the full-body thing getting a little boring. Personally, I don't think it's boring because I'm always shooting for new numbers, and therefore everyday is a new challenge for me. Some guys in my gym say the same thing to me, "How can you do that same routine all the time? Doesn't it get boring?" I just tell them that it's not the same routine because I'm constantly adding weight to the bar, but they still don't believe me.

Anyway, if I ever do decide that the full-body thing gets boring for me, I have the perfect 4-day split that I'm gonna do. It's program that Lunarfault gave me which has one day dedicated to each big lift - squat, dead, bench, OH press. And there's a rep range variation every week or two as well. That looks fun.

Wannabebig Member
    would u mind letting us in on this routine? lol

I gotta look it up again. Maybe Lunarfault would post it again if he sees this.

I stopped thinking about it being "full-body" a long time ago. I merely consider it squat training, press training,....

Quote Originally Posted by Kastro View Post
    I stopped thinking about it being "full-body" a long time ago. I merely consider it squat training, press training,....
    Me too. I think that's what happens to us all eventually

Wannabebig Member
    well what if i drop all the weights down to 5 x 5 OR 3 x 10 and instead of being married to the week, made my routine 2 days on 2 days off and kept rotating them?

I feel that with a split like this i can do more different exercises then i could with the texas method, but if the texas method is that much better, i will just do that and try not to get bored with it (i was getting very bored with SS after about 3 months of it, but it did get me results)

edit: this is with THIS split http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=118986
    Last edited by sandcracker21; 12-14-2008 at 08:02 PM.

Yes, texas method will work better. But after only 3 months of SS, I'm not sure you're ready for it.

Wannabebig Member
    no, I was on SS for 4 months, (it was simply boring after the 3rd month) and I simply can not make workout to workout progress anymore, I am stuck

Banned
    Texas method sounds like something that could work for you.

And why not throw in the exercises you mentioned? The Texas method is not a template, it is a theory. At least that's what I got out of reading practical programming. Are you looking at that crappy template on the stronglifts site?

Wannabebig Member
    i understand its a template, but rippetoe in PP says 5 lifts a workout is pretty much the ceiling, and i agree, as my form and energy gets low after 4-5 core lifts of 3+ sets

If monday is your basic lifting day, and wen. is a recovery day, and friday is a PR day...where can I fit all the lifts I want to do in?

.....unless I put one heavy lift in on wen. that is semi unrelated to what I did on mon. and another one on friday that is not just a PR attempt

im just looking for some input, and so far I have gotten great input, and I am honestly leaning more towards the texas method so far